Fireworks and Parades

TinkFan74

DIS Veteran
Hello
I have PTSD and have not been able to watch the parades or fireworks for may years because I can’t handle people standing behind me. Is there a place to watch that I won’t be surrounded by people?

It's tough. For fireworks: In MK, there are spots over in front of the Plaza Restaurant/Tommorrowland Terrace where you could get your back to a wall or fencing that would create that sense of protection.

It might not be a perfect view; there may be some obstruction there. The projections are such a big part of the show now that you will most likely want to see them.

In MK, there are a few places along the parade routes where you can back up to a wall/storefront, although again, you may have an obstructed view. One of the places that can be overlooked is the area between the fire station and the barbershop; there tends to be fewer people over there in general because it's where the parade "ends", and goes backstage on the right side of the fire station. If you can get up on the sidewalk just outside the store there, as the parade comes around the circle, they will be headed right towards you for some good photo ops!

No But that’s a great idea!
Currently on resort tv channel in your resort room on Disney property.
I just meant kids can have fun in pool and then watch after the pool fun .

For parades, we like the covered walkway between Liberty Tree Tavern and Diamond Horseshoe. Lots of people, to be sure, but if you're near the back you have benches to sit on while waiting and nothing but bushes behind you; also a little shelter if it's drizzly or sunny.

No But that’s a great idea!
Currently on resort tv channel in your resort room on Disney property.
I just meant kids can have fun in pool and then watch after the pool fun .
Oh, okay - but why do the kids have to miss one to do the other? We have always done both, as the pools are open all day and into the night?

Oh, okay - but why do the kids have to miss one to do the other? We have always done both, as the pools are open all day and into the night?
Maybe they don’t stay up late enough to be in the park for fireworks. Or they’re done with the park mid-afternoon or so, and returning again in the evening just for fireworks can be a lot of work for some families. Why is it a concern? If watching the fireworks on TV helps some families that’s great. If your family prefers in-person that is available too.

Maybe they don’t stay up late enough to be in the park for fireworks. Or they’re done with the park mid-afternoon or so, and returning again in the evening just for fireworks can be a lot of work for some families. Why is it a concern? If watching the fireworks on TV helps some families that’s great. If your family prefers in-person that is available too.
I just don't understand why it was one or the other (see fireworks in the park or swim in the pool, but not both), that's all - I couldn't see what was preventing both from happening? I get that little kids don't stay up late enough to see the fireworks sometimes, but that wasn't what the PP stated? It's no big deal, but I just couldn't see why they couldn't swim in the pool one night, and watch the fireworks in the park the next night, KWIM?

Personal preference is all.. Maybe it is an either-or choice for that family. I also like that the fireworks are available on TV in the rooms. We don't have young kids but once my family is done parks for the day, we are done. We rarely make it late enough for fireworks, and the extra time getting back to the room makes it so late; adjusting our schedule for one late night impacts multiple days. With the TV option we can relax and have a fun evening at the pool, get ready for bed, watch fireworks and DD us in bed asleep before they actually go off live.

The dessert parties for the fireworks may bea viable option as well. Costs extra, but especially at MK where you have the option to watch from the place where the party is may help.

One spot I like watching parades from is this stretch in front of Liberty Tree Tavern, sitting back on the benches you can see in the Google Street View screen capture; the benches are along the building with bushes behind them. You are elevated a bit because you are the LTT "porch".

Now, the downside is you are back a bit (see the planters in front for example) and there will be crowds standing along the "roadway" to see the parade up close. Also, people will walk along the portch in front of you to get from point A to B.

Another option could be a spot right in front of those planters, but you will have a fair bit of crowd directly in front of you by parade time, if that is an issue.

1652132457831.png

(BTW, I highly recommend Google Street View for scouting out places around WDW; though things can change - e.g. benches disappearing - it can give a pretty good idea of the lay of the land)

Another spot we like for Parades is the Market Street dead end street off Main Street that is by the Crystal Arts shop. Hardly anyone goes down the dead end street and it is a great spot to "stage" from for watching a parade going along Main Street. I will wait with my ECV alongside the Crystal Arts Building on the side street and then as the parade is nearing I can pull up closer or get off and walk up closer for viewing the parade - I keep to the back so there aren't crowds behind me. There is a range of space there that you can view from and not be likely to have people (certainly now a crowd) behind you. The one thing this doesn't really afford though is a building or other solid structure behind you, so someone could walk up from behind from the dead end.

That said, if you talk with the CMs coralling that intersection and the doorway to the store, they may be able to help you find a spot with the building behind you that is tucked out of the flow of traffic.

Google street view screenshot of the corner:

1652133031552.png

For fireworks at MK, we have had some good success with standing along the bridge to Tomorrowland. Now, you won't have a great view of the projections on the castle - weird angle, plus tree obstructions - but you do get a decent fireworks view.

If you stand to the far side you have the railing. And then there are these nook things at least twice along that bridge that take you out of the path (Google Street View screenshot):

1652133379583.png

It can also be worth it to have a conversation with Guest Services and see if they have suggestions.

One time when I went to get a DAS, the CM I spoke with spent about 20 minutes giving me all kinds of tips for avoiding crowded places, including different places to watch parades and fireworks from - some of which I knew, but some of which I didn't.

So Guest Services may have some suggestions of places to watch parades and fireworks from that would meet your needs.

SW

The parades end at the barber shop, which is still closed. You can stand against the buildings over there easily, there are a few choices. It will be crowded, but it’s tight so there can’t be many people in front of you, and your back will be to a building. This is a tough spot to get to once the parade starts, so this requires some planning — also why it isn’t crazy crowded.

Hard to book, but fireworks from California grill sounds like it would work.

Last edited:
I arrived today at Pop Century and I thought it would be great to check out the MK fireworks on my room TV. Do you guys know what channel and the time? I was thinking 9:00 since that's when they are live.

E.T.A.

I scrolled up on this thread and it looks like it is channel 74 and multiple times. I turned on 74 and it's showing the "Dis Must Do". Hopefully it'll swap to Happily Ever After at 9:00.

I arrived today at Pop Century and I thought it would be great to check out the MK fireworks on my room TV. Do you guys know what channel and the time? I was thinking 9:00 since that's when they are live.

E.T.A.

I scrolled up on this thread and it looks like it is channel 74 and multiple times. I turned on 74 and it's showing the "Dis Must Do". Hopefully it'll swap to Happily Ever After at 9:00.

So, Enquiring Minds Want to Know! ™

Was it Channel 74 at 9:00 pm?

Yes it was channel 74 at 9:00 PM. They were running the Dis Must Do which seemed to end about 8:58. Then the fireworks came on at 9:00.

It was pretty good. Personally I think the filming and the show focused too much on projections. But I'll probably never like a show as much as I loved Wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter