Finally made the plunge, but disappointed!

cweb74

Earning My Ears
My wife and I finally joined the DVC family a month ago after hmmm-n-hawing for years, but are so bummed about availabilty for the next 6 months. I'm assuming it's mainly because during the last couple years people were banking their points because of not travelling and now the resorts are flooded with families trying to use them all up. It's just so unfortunate that we bought into this and now we have to wait to actually use the points. =(

On a high note, we are going to WDW during December and will be our first visit during the Christmas holiday. We seem to always go before Halloween or in the spring. So with the 11 month window I'm hoping we can make that work as long as I'm on the ball and book it as soon as it's available.

Glad to be home!
Chris and Jenn

Unfortunately, it's true that inside six months availability can be quite limited. I'm glad you'll be able to take advantage of 11 month booking at your home resort. Then if you'd like to stay elsewhere, you can wait for the 7 month window to open and see what's available, but at least you'll have a place to stay.

A suggestion - if you're contemplating a split stay, book it as two separate reservations at your home resort at 11 months (put yourself as primary guest on one and your wife as primary on the other). You'll have to wait for the 11 month window to open for the second one. At 7 months if your desired alternative location is available, you can modify the pertinent reservation online without any problems.

Welcome! FWIW, yours is a story I've read many times with new owners in points-based-timeshare-systems. This is not limited to DVC! New owners are well situated to book at the farthest window (you have a full and fresh bank of points!) but trying out the new toy in the near-term horizon is a struggle. All the owners ahead of you (in time) have dutifully booked their stays 11-months from travel and time is marching along to meet those reservations.

Jump in on those long-term plans! Grab yours now and enjoy the anticipation. (We are all doing the same ... waiting for time to catch up with plans we booked an unbelievably long time ago.)

not really new news and not with COVID and banked points. plan trips at 11 month window as best as you can. you can always cx. at 7 month window rebook if needed again you can always cx. you got to be very very proactive. I always have 2 trips in the pot going. once the 1 trip is over I guess the next trip and change up as needed. everything is always booked anymore. . .

Welcome home! I completely understand the frustration. Availability will always be better if you book between 7-11 months out at your home resort. But there are definitely ways to get a reservation closer to your intended travel dates:
1. There is so much fun in stalking the DVC website for availability if you want to modify or plan a new trip. Outside of super popular DVC-travel times, availability changes quite frequently and you may be surprised to snag that Boardwalk View Studio for a weekend getaway in July.
2. Don't overlook waitlists-just don't expect a weeklong waitlist to come through and instead try to get a couple days in one, max. It feels like a game trying to predict which room category is most likely to come through too, but eventually you figure out how to be strategic.
3. Be flexible! If you have flexibility in your travel dates, I agree with a previous poster about looking into split stays. If you have point flexibility, I recommend looking at a one bedroom over a studio.

There are certainly more expert-level tips others can share. Looking out to April I see a lot of random openings, with obviously the most affordable bookings being the least available. I would venture to guess you can be successful in planning a trip in the coming months. Will you be able to replace your current December stay in a DVC room with points? Probably not. But it will still be fun to plan your next trip as members!

There is so much fun in stalking the DVC website for availability if you want to modify or plan a new trip
“Fun” isn’t the word that comes to mind for me when I do find myself stalking the website. Good hints shared tho

but are so bummed about availabilty for the next 6 months. I'm assuming it's mainly because during the last couple years people were banking their points because of not travelling and now the resorts are flooded with families trying to use them all up. It's just so unfortunate that we bought into this and now we have to wait to actually use the points. =(
Welcome home!

it’s been a bit more competitive since people have been traveling after Covid slowed things down.

JMHO, once SSR was sold & introduced so many more members into the mix, 7 month availability has been limited for dates I’ve checked.

As others have stated, make sure to book whatever home resort you did purchase at 11 months and be prepared to stay there. If you are able to switch things around at 7 months, that’s a bonus.

studios go fast, if you are flush with points either add 1 BR into your search or be prepared to bank your points and use in the next UY.

Two time periods we book every year…

Last week in November+first two weeks in December are very popular with members due to lower point structure, followed by the haunt season. The holidays tend to go fast, especially Christmas week, Easter & spring break.

Have you tried speaking to your DVC guide (salesperson)? Many folks report that their guide has been able to make otherwise unavailable things happen for their very first use of points, aka the “Welcome Home” visit. I have no experience with this but I’d give it a shot. Good luck!

When we talk availability at 7 months we mean  exactly 7 months at 8:00am. At 8:00 and 5 seconds anything left at high priority resorts is probably gone. At 6 months it's usually SSR, OKW, AKV and some spare night here and there.
Unfortunately it's the reality of DVC.

Welcome home!

I bought right before the pandemic and benefited from Wilderness Lodge bookings a few weeks before travel during the holidays. Things have certainly changed since then, but I think if you have a set time, the advice to book home resort at 11 and modify/waitlist is a good one.
If you are flexible, you can book a 2-4 night trip easily at 7 months. You can maybe do a 2-3 night trip (the majority of ours) in the 3-4 month range if you are diligent.
Unfortunately, weeklong trips 5-6 months out are hard unless you want to be at Saratoga Springs, Old Key West or Kidani Village.

If you bought direct, member services can help get you in someplace that shows sold out online. I just got a reservation in a poly studio for February this way.

Thank you all for the feedback. I honestly did not give member services a try. I will make sure we jump on the 11mos reservations. That's the plan for next Christmas. I appreciate all the advice. Our family is super excited to be home!

You do not mention which resort you purchased but be aware that, in relation to next Christmas week at WDW, the following rooms tend to fill very quickly at 8 a.m. at 11-months out for that time period every year (the winners are those whose computers communicate faster with Disney's than others making the same attempt at 8 a.m.): BWV standard and boardwalk view studios (and 2BRs since all are lock-offs), AKV value and club level studios (and 2BRs), BLT standard view studios and 2BRs (including the dedicated 2BRs); Riviera Tower studios and standard view studios (and lock-off 2BRs); VGF studios (but not the Resort Studios); and OKW GV's in the near Hospitality House booking category.

Thank you all for the feedback. I honestly did not give member services a try. I will make sure we jump on the 11mos reservations. That's the plan for next Christmas. I appreciate all the advice. Our family is super excited to be home!
No reason to not give MS’s a call to see what they can come up w/ for this Dec.s visit, if you prefer what you’ve already booked v. what MS can find you can just say no thanks, but if they can find something that’ll work why not save all that cash reservation money? Of course if you used the magical beginnings promotion & want to hang on to your points for next years vacation that makes sense.
We love going to WDW in Dec. & always spend time visiting the various resorts to check out their decorations, my favorites being the ‘big tree resorts’ (VGF, WL, & AKV) & the carousel at the BC.
IMG_0336.jpeg

Waitlist is your friend! We got our points about 6 months before our most recent trip last week, and I was even able to get some Riviera standard studio reservations via waitlist. Split stay also ups your chances!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter