Finally going back to the Fort

Hockeytchr

Go for it, have fun, and relax
We just reserved our site for June 21st thru the 29th. It will be our second time at the Fort. Looking for new ideas, tips, and suggestions on how to make the best of our stay. It will be my hubby, mom, and I along with our three furbabies. We have a 32 ft class c and will be towing our 12ft enclosed trailer with our golf cart and other supplies. We reserved a premium site that is supposed to be 18 ft by 60 ft so we can back the trailer in behind the coach. We plan to do 5 days in the parks while there.

Based on your dates I will hazard a guess that there will likely be be plenty of sites Decorated for the 4th of July so some looping in your Golf Cart could be in order. As to the Golf Cart I will figure your Furballs are like mine and Love to go for rides. The Rangers do however object to them riding unsupervised no matter how much they swear they have Licenses so keep a good eye on your keys. A trip or 2 for them everyday to the dog park keeps my 2 happy.

Yours is a good question, @Hockeytchr.

Going to the parks has probably changed more than the Fort has (but both have gone through changes).

At the Fort, Trails End is no longer a buffett. It is a skillet dinner (all you care to eat). Reviews have varied.

Disney cleared out all the River Country leftovers and started preparing the land for a new joint resort/DVC building behind HoopDeeDoo and Trails End. Then stopped due to pandemic/slow sales at Riviera. The scrim is still up and not a pretty sight.

They moved the Fort beach to the right side of the dock (expanded that side) because they closed off the camper beach behind the fence for the construction noted above.

All the litter water sprite boats are gone. The old boat rental area looks terrible.

Food trucks (up to five of them) come to the area between the Settlement Trading Post and Trails End on nights when TE is closed (IIRC Tuesday and Wednesday currently). Generally positive reviews.

HDDR is still closed with no idea when it's coming back. One of our campers got a peak inside and the hall and sound system have been upgraded/refurbed.

The original Tri Circle D Ranch horse barn was torn down because it was in the construction zone for the resort/DVC and a new larger one was built across the road that goes to Wilderness Lodge.

No Exercise Trail to Wilderness Lodge. One of the internal bus lines, when it reaches the Settlement Bus Depot, changes its sign board and runs down to WL and then comes back from WL and becomes an internal bus again. It's essentially replacing the small boat to WL so you can eat/explore/spend at WL conveniently.

No small boats currently that run WL-FW-Contemp. But they've added an express bus (one) from the Settlement Bus Depot to the Magic Kingdom bus stop and back.

A playground was built between Settlement TRading Post and TE where there was a grassy area in the past.

Golf cart parking across from HDDR and TE has been expanded (sand/dirt) which took out a lot of trees ("Pioneer Woods", we used to call that space).

Golf cart rentals are now for FW guests only, no day guests.

No Chip & Dale Singalong yet. But there is a nightly movie still and campfire.

Premium Meadows category of sites carved out of Premium (loops closest to pool and Meadow TP). PM are more expensive.

Speaking of expensive, rates keep going up. And folks keep filling the Fort up.

I'm sure I've left out some things.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Yours is a good question, @Hockeytchr.

Going to the parks has probably changed more than the Fort has (but both have gone through changes).

At the Fort, Trails End is no longer a buffett. It is a skillet dinner (all you care to eat). Reviews have varied.

Disney cleared out all the River Country leftovers and started preparing the land for a new joint resort/DVC building behind HoopDeeDoo and Trails End. Then stopped due to pandemic/slow sales at Riviera. The scrim is still up and not a pretty sight.

They moved the Fort beach to the right side of the dock (expanded that side) because they closed off the camper beach behind the fence for the construction noted above.

All the litter water sprite boats are gone. The old boat rental area looks terrible.

Food trucks (up to five of them) come to the area between the Settlement Trading Post and Trails End on nights when TE is closed (IIRC Tuesday and Wednesday currently). Generally positive reviews.

HDDR is still closed with no idea when it's coming back. One of our campers got a peak inside and the hall and sound system have been upgraded/refurbed.

The original Tri Circle D Ranch horse barn was torn down because it was in the construction zone for the resort/DVC and a new larger one was built across the road that goes to Wilderness Lodge.

No Exercise Trail to Wilderness Lodge. One of the internal bus lines, when it reaches the Settlement Bus Depot, changes its sign board and runs down to WL and then comes back from WL and becomes an internal bus again. It's essentially replacing the small boat to WL so you can eat/explore/spend at WL conveniently.

No small boats currently that run WL-FW-Contemp. But they've added an express bus (one) from the Settlement Bus Depot to the Magic Kingdom bus stop and back.

A playground was built between Settlement TRading Post and TE where there was a grassy area in the past.

Golf cart parking across from HDDR and TE has been expanded (sand/dirt) which took out a lot of trees ("Pioneer Woods", we used to call that space).

Golf cart rentals are now for FW guests only, no day guests.

No Chip & Dale Singalong yet. But there is a nightly movie still and campfire.

Premium Meadows category of sites carved out of Premium (loops closest to pool and Meadow TP). PM are more expensive.

Speaking of expensive, rates keep going up. And folks keep filling the Fort up.

I'm sure I've left out some things.

Bama Ed
Bama Ed,
Thanks for the info! Kinda bummed now though, since we cannot eat at Trails End on our arrival night. I was looking forward to eating there on our first night after we set up camp. Not a huge fan of food trucks. Also, we were really looking forward to renting the water sprite boats on our non-park day. Maybe we can go to another resort and rent them there? I'm guessing since there is no boat transportation to MK, we will have to do a bus to ticket/transportation center and take the monorail or ferry boat over?

Hockeytchr The Boat does run from the Marina to MK. Food Trucks are in the Settlement area on Tuesday and Wednesday

Bama Ed,
Thanks for the info! Kinda bummed now though, since we cannot eat at Trails End on our arrival night. I was looking forward to eating there on our first night after we set up camp. Not a huge fan of food trucks. Also, we were really looking forward to renting the water sprite boats on our non-park day. Maybe we can go to another resort and rent them there? I'm guessing since there is no boat transportation to MK, we will have to do a bus to ticket/transportation center and take the monorail or ferry boat over?

Hi Teach! :wave2:

Well, Trails End is still there but I think what you're saying is that it's not the same as it was (and it's not). I was a big fan of the weekend brunch (which cost a few dollars more than weekday breakfast) but you got some lunch foods like the fried chicken and fresh sliced smoked turkey to go with breakfast offerings. Bet we both hope it gets back to that someday. :rolleyes:

Not sure that ANY resorts have the water sprites still, honestly.

FtW Mike is correct (or, at least his admirable mustache is) that the big boat that is direct to MK still runs and runs to get folks there early for the On-Property Early Rope Drop (30 min b4 official time). We were there in January and for an official 9am opening that meant on-property (like us) could hit Fantasyland/Tomorrowland at 830am. The first big boat got to the Fort dock at about 720am, left about 730am, got to MK about 750am, we queued up for about 5 minutes, and then the turnstiles opened. At the circle past Casey's there were CM's scanning Magic Bands to let on-property guests into the early admission areas (sorry, we only went to MK for one day on our stay but bet the process is similar in the other parks).

So there is big boat service to/from MK but the small boat (WL-CR-FW) wasn't running. I took the bus from Settlement to MK back in Oct20 (a while ago) but it gets you there like the boat. So whichever line is shorter ......

In my earlier post, I listed all the Fort things that are different. The park things (and I haven't been to all of them lately) are MORE of the same. Opinions differ, but to me the Fort is still the Fort. Wish we had the Chip & Dale Singalong, a true Trails End buffet, and HDDR running again. Prices and costs, I can manage around those.

"Expect less and pay more" is the new mantra.

Bama Ed

PS - I can travel any time of year so didn't do Genie+ on last trip nor Lightning Lanes becuz I refuse to pay for stuff that used to be included in ticket cost. So no advice about that.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the food trucks but unfortunately the third Tuesday we were there had only 1 truck. I enjoyed the food (Columbian) but I was going to get a Fatone hot dog until I found out they were a no show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter