Finally bit the bullet and booked on Celebrity.

We are looking at Celebrity Summit for Alaska. Disney is out because we want to do a one way. Also looking at Royal Princess, which we have enjoyed previously. Worried Summit is an old ship. The technology on Royal Princess is nice, but Summit fits our dates better.

We are looking at Celebrity Summit for Alaska. Disney is out because we want to do a one way. Also looking at Royal Princess, which we have enjoyed previously. Worried Summit is an old ship. The technology on Royal Princess is nice, but Summit fits our dates better.
You'll love the Summit. Even though it's old, it was fully re-done in 2019. Our room (balcony consierge) was really nice. It's not a loud, crazy party ship. The martini bar is awesome. It was our first cruise in forever, and we had a great time.

We sailed on the Millennium last August and it’s their oldest ship, but had been updated recently and was fine. If you haven’t yet take a look at
, they tour videos, you can also find videos of most staterooms at Harr travel, but come back to Dreams to book your trip for that on board credit.

Dh has been wanting to try something different and land vacations are so ridiculously overpriced these days. His instructions were to "find something that's a good deal".
The 5-nt cruise on the Dream was around $3500 (before OBB discount). We booked 5-nts on Celebrity Summit and got an Aqua Class Verandah that includes gratuities, wifi and their basic drink package for $2550 with $100 OBC. This is one aspect that I'm not complaining about. This is like getting flights and airport parking for free.

The last time we tried another cruise line was in 2009 with RCCL. We only ended up missing DCL more. Maybe dh just needs a little reminder of that feeling. Maybe there will be a lot of things we love about Celebrity.
Dh is happy that on sea days they offer a tour of the ship that includes an engineering tour and bridge tour (also galley & laundry). Of course, for a fee. DCL should make this a perk for Pearl members. He's also happy that they have a fairly large TV mounted on the wall opposite the bed.
Even with booking less than one month in advance, I was able to get an 11:00am PAT.

At least I still have our 14-nt WBPC in October to look forward to. :cloud9:
I'm looking forward to relaxing in the sun but hoping I don't see the Magic or Dream while in port. :sad:
We have had great luck with Celebrity! And have booked aqua class many times. IMHO, Celebrity food and entertainment are much better than Princess and NCL. Cannot compare RCL, we've never been.

You are swaying me to Celebrity, but just realized no Glacier Bay on the itinerary. Hubbard is on the itinerary, but in mid May, not sure if we will get close. It does offer Sitka and Icy Strait, which are two new ports for me. I have Elite status on Princess, which gives some nice perks, but never sailed Celebrity. Leaning towards an aft facing Sunset Balcony if we go with Celebrity.

We sailed on the Millennium last August and it’s their oldest ship, but had been updated recently and was fine. If you haven’t yet take a look at
, they tour videos, you can also find videos of most staterooms at Harr travel, but come back to Dreams to book your trip for that on board credit.
We LOVED The Millennium! Perfect size for us and the staff was amazing!

The Summit was built in 2001. That means it’s still newer than the Magic or the Wonder. I will gladly sail on either of these!

We sailed on Summit in 2018, right before it was refurbed/“revolutionized”. It was nice and in great shape. I would sail on it again without the refurb, so I’m sure it’s really great now.

We've sailed her twice since Covid and have a third booked this fall! We love the Summit - the crew is AMAZING!! The ship doesn't feel old at all. My only suggestion on Alaska would be if you can get Glacier Bay with Princess, that would probably be worth trying to make it work.

Oh! Just realized you're getting Sitka instead - man, that's a hard decision between Sitka and Glacier Bay! If you chose Sitka, we loved this tour: https://www.sitkawildlifetours.com/sitka-tours/sitka-marine-adventure/ It's a small boat, we actually just bought it out and still spent less than we would have on an official ship excursion. :-D

Last edited:
Having cruised Alaska 5 times on the Wonder I can honestly say that the warmth of the cast members keeps bringing us back! Once we were so close to the glacier you could almost reach out and touch it!! Many cancelled their small boat tour because it was really not much closer than Captain Thord got the Wonder! We really brought the pixie dust to Alaska :fish:

We tried Celebrity for an itinerary and date we wanted. We enjoyed our vacation and would consider Celebrity again but our hearts belong to Disney. We really enjoy the Disney shows/evening entertainment more. We also prefer the way Disney organizes people that have booked shore excursions etc... I don't drink and my husband drinks very little so the availability of drink packages is not a consideration. We started cruising with Disney when our kids were small and now that they are grown we still prefer Disney. We cruise a little less often but do bigger cruises to soften the airfare expenses. Currently booked for back to back Disney cruises and very excited! Any day at sea is a good day, there is just a little more pixie dust with Disney.

We are toying with trying another line. Our DD is a junior in HS so the clubs are quickly becoming moot. We have our Dream B2B March 2024, she’ll be 17. After that kids programming no longer matters.

Was looking at Celebrity and then wondered if we’d miss the private island other lines offer.

Started looking at RCL as well for Parrot Cay.

For Alaska someday, after our DD is off on her own, she has no interest, we will likely not do Disney for itineraries and cost. So watching for that as well. Seems like RCL or Princess for that.

That’s a bit how I feel about other lines. I liked Royal and NCL just fine and would take them for a good itinerary and I’d do Princess again for something like Alaska… but DCL makes me happy the second I walk on board. The others are just a cruise.
Absolutely agree. We just sailed the Wish, and there is just something special about stepping into the Grand Hall...I really took my breath away. We stayed Concierge and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The lounge is really beautiful. We had an awesome time and are definitely booking again in the Spring..then onto the new ship, the Treasure!!!

BC nowadays means Before Covid. :laughing:
For most people alive right now, we’ve never seen a 3 year span of life with this many changes in the world.
Maybe not the most changes in 3 years ever though. Our grandparents living through WW2 could give a good debate if they were alive now.
Your post made me laugh out loud because it is so true!!! I feel like I am playing whack a mole in my social media cruise group trying to correct people’s well intentioned but completely inaccurate advice such as DCL picking up your luggage at the airport and taking it to the ship, the sit down dinner option in Cabanas, the antipasto cart and extra dishes at dinner in Palo, how PAT doesn’t matter and you can show up any time… the list goes on! So much incorrect info floating around from just a few years ago.

I absolutely love Celebrity's M-class ships like Summit. Summit has been revolutionized, and ships that Celebrity has done this to look so amazing. I have sailed Millennium 3 times in the last year (also revolutionized and Summit's sister ship) and it is just my favorite. I have a cruise this fall booked on Celebrity Beyond (E-class), and I am really worried that it will be too big for me! I also have an Alaskan cruise booked on Solstice (S-class). I have been to Alaska already on Celebrity, but it is one of my favorite places to cruise.

I have never gotten a hard sell on specialty dining on Celebrity (I have on RCCL, though).

People rave about the food in Blu, which is where you can eat with Aquaclass. I have not sailed that class, but if I had the chance, I sure would consider it if the price is right. I am perfectly happy with the MDR.

I highly, highly recommend the bridge/backstage tour - I have done it twice. It was awesome being on the bridge and being able to ask all the questions you have about the ship. It was so worth the money. If you keep an eye on the website, they will run sales for 30% off shore excursions (including the bridge tour). You can always cancel and rebook if you find a better price.

I'm not sure if they do this on all Celebrity ships, but we sailed the Summit in a sky suite in December and they arranged for us to do a bridge tour (no extra cost), cocktails with the officers, and sail away on the helipad.
We were loyal DCL, but the price charged for the product received just isn't there any more for us.

Regal Princess is probably the prettiest ship I've been on. Just gorgeous.
Yep, it is our favorite Princess ship as well. The buffet setup is so much better than the Grand-Class ships, the IC is bigger, and there is a really good sized Alfredo's off of the Piazza.

We booked that 12-night British Isles back when they were running 3/4th sail free, so for 4 of us with Princess Plus (wifi, drink package, and gratuities included) it was around $5,000. Now, the airfare stung a bit, but it is what it is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter