Film - going through scanners at airport

Beckie

Earning My Ears
We recently returned from our annual trip to WDW and based on advice we've gotten from this board, we decided to have our film hand-checked at the airport rather than running it through the scanners. We flew out of Providence, RI and had no problems with the film being hand-checked. One of the security guards literally hand-inspected the film and returned it to us. On the way home and after having taken 10 rolls of film, we again requested the film (Fugi 400 speed film) to be hand-checked. Well to our suprise, the Orlando airport not only hand inspects but actually uses a cloth to rub on the film case and test for contents. After approximately 10 minutes of waiting, we were informed that our film had been tested twice and it had tested positive for EXPLOSIVE materials!! We were then questioned as to whether or not we had shot off any guns in the last week. Of course we had not because we had been in Disney World all week. We were then told to wait while they called in a supervisor who would determine wheter or not we could fly. Luckily, the supervisor agreed with us that it was just film and we did catch our plane. But in the future, we're running our film through the scanners!!

Wow! It sure must have been a shock to get a respose like that!! I have always put my film through the scanners with no special treatment and have never ever had a problem with the quality of my pictures!

Grover in Winnipeg
:smooth:

They say the scanners won't hurt film but the problem is they sometimes stop the conveyor belt with your suitcase under the X-rays, and it could sit there awhile. This is why some people have film problems and others don't.

(copied from another post) I take the film cartridges out of the plastic cans or wrappers and put them in my pocket. Then I empty my pockets of everything except my wallet that always stays put (for me it is just the film cartridges) into the little tray they provide.

One possible reason why the film cartridges tested positive for explosives, you were photographing Illuminations or other fireworks show, and the smoke blew your way.

Other Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We never knew that the scanners could ruin film so we've always put our film through. They've never gotten ruined though.

I had heard a long time ago that the scanners could ruin film, and my aunt advised me to have it hand-checked, though I never did. I've never had film ruined.

However, I read a recent newspaper article that said something interesting: it said to NOT put any film in your CHECKED baggage because those go through some potentially powerful x-rays that will ruin your film. It said that some airports, which will not be known to the public because of security, will receive these really powerful high-tech x-rays to check for explosives (or whatever it is they're looking for).

The article said that the scanners that carry-ons go through will not harm film, and recommended that all film be packed in carry-on bags, and not checked luggage.

We've always let out film go through the scanners in the past with our carry-on bags without any problems. But I figured that since I had 10 rolls of memories of our trip I wouldn't chance it. However, after our experience, we're just going to run it through the scanners in the future. According to the airport, only film greater than 1600 speed has the potential to be damaged by the scanners.

The scanner danger is real, but very small. The major photo mags did stories on this subject about a year and a half ago, and here's what they found...

Traditional X-ray scanners will not harm film unless it is extremely "fast" film (ISO 3200 and up). If your film is 1000 speed or less, there should be NO problem what so ever with checking your film. I hand carry my film, but that's because I fear loss of my film and not X-ray damage. However, in the last couple of years the FAA has introduced a new type of scanner that is much better at detecting hazards and contraband. They are large, expensive, and complex. The magazine I read first detected the presence of something new in the bowels of the airports when one of their employees had some film "fogged" after a vacation. They investigated and talked to the FAA. The FAA would only say that they did indeed have some new scanners. There are only a few of them. They move them from place to place as intelligence warrants. And, no, they won't alert travellers in advance of their presense at a given airport. The magazine's final comments were basically, your chances of running into one of these devices is pretty small, and the chances of having your luggage lost was probably a lot higher.

Note that these scanners are used in checked luggage only. In many, many trips with film in my carry-on I've found that a zip-lock baggie protects my film just fine.

Here's the word straight from Kodak:

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/service/faqs/faq0014.shtml

I read on another site that the use of lead pouches will back-fire with the new scanners. They use variable strength fields and will "jack up" the radiation when they spot something that's hard to "see through" like lead pouches.

If only they'd been that careful in Boston...:(

Do you think there will be turning up the scanners now??? I leave for Disneyland in 3 weeks and have 10+ rolls of film I don't want ruined.. Should I open all the containers up before I get to the gate and let them hand check them??

we always develope our film at WDW. Yes, it is more $$$ but the peace of mind is great( but we usually only shoot 2 rolls )

this june, while flying home form DFW, my checked bag was pulled out for special inspection.......I unfortunately forgot i had packed my camera and film....all of my pictures came out a total filmy green. Completly unrecognizabe.

I should of just gone to a 1 hour film place the night before:(

Judy: I was going to say the same thing. Develop the photos while you are there. I use a digital now and bring our laptop. I've never flown with the digital though. We've driving the last 3x and had planned on flying, but that might change.

We went to a local camera store and bought a bag specifically designed to transport film. It is made basically of lead sandwiched between layers of plastic. That way we don't have to worry about our film. We have never had a problem with film getting damaged at the airport.

My brother and sister-in-law who are professional photographers have always come down on the side of having the film hand-checked. So as not to upset little brother, we have always hand-checked our film.

the scanners do no harm the film or digital cameras. sometimes I think its the person behind the camera that messes it up.

some FYI still yet bags that are checked do not get x-rayed. the only ones that do are international bags. I have worked in bag make up areas and the front tkt counter there are nto xray machines there. only in the international part.

We always put our film in our checked luggage and have never had a problem.

I've seen stories on the news in the past about these new machines for scanning checked baggage. I believe as others posted their are just a few until now that they move around. Apparently it is a very complicated machine that some tiny company basically hand builts each one.

I just read on the net yesterday or the day before that the Senate was hammering the head of the FAA because apparently they have 17 brand new machines just sitting in a warehouse becuse they havent gotten around to setting them up. Granted 17 isnt going to cover every bag conveyor at every airport- but it is annoying.

Also- I'm guessing- but i think film is coated with silver nitrate among other chemicals. I would imagine those wipes are analyzed for nitrates like you would find in many explosives. So maybe they just found a residue from the manufacturing process

there is alot more to think about on this issue than I thought! thanks for the insights everyone!

What about mailing yourself the film?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter