Figment

I have been to Disney numerous times but my last trip was the first time I ever went on the ride. I don't think I even knew about it before. It sounds like it went from a great ride to an afterthought. I never could figure out why everyone was so Figment crazy until now. It makes more sense now.

If you go to YouTube and find the "Defunctland" channel, there is an awesome video on there about the history of Journey into Imagination. It makes me miss the old version so much, it was nothing like what we have now at Epcot.

I have one from 1984ish...I was super young but i still love figment and everyone in my household knows not to mess with my original figment stuffy. While it's not the same as it used to be, we still ride the ride everytime :)
We gave our Daughter hers in July of 1983 when she was five.
Her Daughter is five now and I'm going to get her a Figment, if I can find one, the next time I visit Epcot.

We gave our Daughter hers in July of 1983 when she was five.
Her Daughter is five now and I'm going to get her a Figment, if I can find one, the next time I visit Epcot.

They're all over - my daughter picked up a million yesterday trying to decide if she wanted one. Figment stuffed dolls, figment pillow things, figment key chains, figment tshirts :)

They're all over - my daughter picked up a million yesterday trying to decide if she wanted one. Figment stuffed dolls, figment pillow things, figment key chains, figment tshirts :)

Yup!They have a ton. Youll have no trouble finding one for your granddaughter. He looks a little different now but I've picked up over the years key chains, a bigger stuffy, etc. I'm hoping I can find a cute print of him this go around in June for my home office!

Yup!They have a ton. Youll have no trouble finding one for your granddaughter. He looks a little different now but I've picked up over the years key chains, a bigger stuffy, etc. I'm hoping I can find a cute print of him this go around in June for my home office!
Thanks.....:D

There are a few, if you go to You Tube and search on Journey Into Imagination, but this one seems the clearest, though the audio is a bit low.

Thanks for posting this! Even though it's hard to see at times, I think it illustrates well what the ride used to be like compared to how different it is now. I loved this ride as a child and I loved Figment. Journey into Imagination was my favorite pavilion at Epcot and I have very find memories of this ride. I'd been warned about how much it had changed, but when we went last month, I was still terribly disappointed anyway. The ride is probably half the length now and the focus on creative works of art seems to gone. It's more about your 5 senses and a bratty, annoying new Figment causing havok in a scientist's lab. :worried: The ride feels "dumbed down" to me. I miss the old Figment and Dreamfinder. I was planning on buying a Figment plush, but after the ride I changed my mind. The new Figment just isn't as lovable. I'll try to remember him the way he was.

It's one of my favorites, but for me it's more about nostalgia. I loved the Dreamfinder and Figment as a child so I continue to visit the attraction to keep that spirit alive. I think it's fun and spunky. I can see how some would find it annoying, but I hope it never closes. Figment, the character, is just iconic!
they are talking about revamping the ride and bringing dream finder back

I rode the original in 1990 on our honeymoon. It was my favorite attraction! We bought a little magnet of Figment that still is on our fridge today.

While today's attraction really isn't anything in comparison, I still love it.

I keep saying they could totally fix this: the Figment comic book series that came out a couple of years ago had Figment, and a younger Dreamfinder, in a steam-punk type of style and it was awesome. My DS read them all and loved them. Why couldn't the attraction now be based on this? I know the Imagineers could do so many wonderful things with it.

In any case, today was Mother's Day...and one of my DD's came back from a trip with her fiance yesterday. They brought me the Epcot 35th Red magic band with Figment on it. Such a great gift!!! :)

I don't remember much of the original ride from when I was a kid, but I do remember being super-obsessed with Figment.

Figment is one of my daughters favorite rides. It is a must do for her every time we are at Epcot! A cute nice air conditioned little break from the Florida heat!

I love it!

I believe it's a conceptual installation. The idea of an attraction but not quite there.

Plus, anything in Disney with little to no wait is always excellent!

the original was so good. The first revision was horrible. They added Figment back to try and salvage it. While the current ride is not terrible, many of us remember how good the original was and are sad at what it has become.

Okay, I'll bite...While I don't hate the current version, it has nothing special to offer, and that's just dumb.

The entire WDW property is supposed to be a monument to the power of imagination, so IMO, THE one ride specifically called IMAGINATION should be the biggest blockbuster. It is far from an E-ride.

The 2nd problem is that a ride dedicated to IMAGINATION should actually inspire us to be creative. This one doesn't. At best, it is mildly cute. Making the post ride awesome would be very simple: turn it into a Maker-Faire! These fairs are already all over the country!

The 3rd problem with this ride is that the technology in it is very dated. Glow paint? Plastic models? The post ride has a game of SIMON. SIMON! Simon was invented in 1978! That's hardly a testament to modern technology. Surely we've invented SOMETHING imaginative in the last 40 YEARS!

Where are the 3-d printers? Fuel cell displays? High speed trains? Next Gen microchips? There are so many exciting new technologies! Goodness, why won't Disney partner with NASA, NSF, or any of the MANY American STEM museums to create fun, imaginative exhibits?

But the thing that makes this area even MORE of a tragedy, is that Disney HAS ALREADY CREATED a TERRIFIC Imagination playground! It is called, "The Science behind Pixar!" I highly recommend seeing the exhibit if you have the chance. It will be displayed in Vancouver 5/19/18 to 1/6/19, and in Chicago 5/24/18 - 1/6/19. THIS is just one option for what the Imagination post-ride could/should look like!

We should come away from this ride INSPIRED to be creative!

I don't understand why that ride gets all the hate it does. It needs some love, sure, but I thought it was a cute, enjoyable ride. Much more so than the Seas with Nemo & Friends.

Why does it seem everyone hates Journey into Imagination?

Personally, I don't hate it, but -- like Future World in general -- it's a pale shadow of what it once was. Because the original was to imagination what Spaceship Earth is to communication and history. Plus, it had a two-floor interaction play area called ImageWorks after the ride, plus Captian Eo in the theater.

When they replace Captain EO with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, they also gutted the original ride, evicted Figment and Dreamfinder entirely, and installed the current Imagination Institute theme. It was pretty much universally panned, so they re-worked it to reintroduce Figment, but reusing as much of the Imagination Institute layout that they could.

The original...
OG-Journey-into-imagination.jpg

figment-journey-into-imagination-figment-friday-900x556.jpg

Worst_Journey_glover-700x466.jpg

DJEXisQWAAULuoa.jpg

Those that did not visit Epcot in the '80's and '90's really missed a lot of great stuff...the original Imagination pavilion, Horizons, Wonders of Life. There was a sense of mission, optimism, and whimsy that Future World just lacks right now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter