Fight Florida's anti-LGBTQ+ changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We unknowingly went to DL and it was "Gay Days". By far one of the best experiences we had with the kids. So much laughter, love, & kindness in the air. It was awesome. WDW is missing out.
What does that mean? Other days are not seen with laughter kindness etc for your kids 🤷‍♀️
There are Great Humans Every day at Disney and having also attended several of the Gay days at Disney … there are also drunks and obnoxious adults acting inappropriately like Every Other day, lol. …
I just think
there’s NO difference. happy sad kind nasty laughing people are just that… People! There’s always good and then the… ugh peeps.
I hope that some day.. we don’t need to Separate and Name Groups/People to Validate/ Accept them. Imagine that :)

Glad you enjoyed ur day, it’s Disney after all

The bill is intentionally too vague. It doesn't outline what instruction is in a useful way. For example, what if during library storytime the librarian reads a story about a kid who happens to have 2 dads? It doesn't point out the fact that the child has 2 dads and the story is about something else. The pictures show 2 dads though. Is that instruction?

I'm curious to learn what the first challenge to the law is.

The bill is intentionally too vague. It doesn't outline what instruction is in a useful way. For example, what if during library storytime the librarian reads a story about a kid who happens to have 2 dads? It doesn't point out the fact that the child has 2 dads and the story is about something else. The pictures show 2 dads though. Is that instruction?

I generally know basic facts about my child’s teachers. If one was LGBTQ and mentioned anything about it in their instruction, even off-hand, does that count? What about family pictures on their desk? It was written to intimidate teachers and schools.

I generally know basic facts about my child’s teachers. If one was LGBTQ and mentioned anything about it in their instruction, even off-hand, does that count? What about family pictures on their desk? It was written to intimidate teachers and schools.

I think most people know the difference between a teacher mentioning their spouse during a lesson and an actual curriculum that directs classroom instruction about specific subjects.
And come on, family pictures on a desk? You know that isn’t what this bill is about, even if it is as vague as some claim it is.

Legislation is usually pretty vague, because legislative bodies leave the details to those who actually deal with "issues" in their daily routines - and should be the ones to write the specific policies.

More importantly, the details of the legislation are NOT what this is about for anyone involved. People just try to split hairs to bolster their own personal political opinions.

And that example is a good one, because plenty of parents would call that "pushing a gay agenda". We had a teacher locally who read a book with two moms. A parent in the class took exception, started ranting on social media, and it ended up with a belligerent crowd at a school board meeting and the book being removed from the classroom. I've no doubt that same breed of parent would gladly line up to sue the school district and the teacher in that sort of situation if the law here allowed it, as the FL law would... which leads to another angle that really hasn't gotten a ton of mention. Lawsuits are a huge waste of resources. Even if you win, they're terribly expensive. And because this is such a political/social hot button, parents who file suits alleging violations are likely to have special interest support fr4om folks who want the headlines those first few lawsuits will generate while the schools will have to defend themselves out of already-limited budgets.

And that example is a good one, because plenty of parents would call that "pushing a gay agenda". We had a teacher locally who read a book with two moms.

What's funny is that this same law could be used to complain about a book featuring one dad and one mom, since heterosexuality is still sexuality, and male and female are gender identities.

I think most people know the difference between a teacher mentioning their spouse during a lesson and an actual curriculum that directs classroom instruction about specific subjects.
And come on, family pictures on a desk? You know that isn’t what this bill is about, even if it is as vague as some claim it is.
It is exactly how some extreme parents will use it though. The pp had it 100% correct it is a tool to intimidate districts into pretending the subject or "those ppl" don't exist.

I totally agree there are extreme parents on every side of just about anything...we just happen to be talking about this bill.

Most parents are great, but you have the extreme on any side that yell, harass, threaten constantly until they get their way. They will use this legislature as another tool for them and I have no doubt it is why it was written the way it was.

Like most controversial issues on social media, most of the protestors and outspoken voices have never even read the bill. Parents have a right to know what is being taught at the school district that is supported by their tax dollars. Many people think sexuality education for K-3 students isn’t age appropriate and should be a topic left for the home. If schools would just stick to traditional old fashioned subjects like math, science, history and language arts then there wouldn’t be an issue.

Why does it need to be addressed to the whole class though, why couldn't your friend take the child aside and tell them it is wrong and not to do it again? 5/6 year olds don't always need a lesson, sometimes they just need to be told not to do something. And this goes for any insult a student was throwing around.
Now if kids raised their hands and have questions and asks what it means, a simple 2 second explanation of what it is and then a "OK let's move on to......." is simple enough, which is what it sounds like your friend did. I wouldn't consider that against the law.
Work a day in a classroom and you’ll have a better understanding.

It’s never just one. And instead of repeating yourself when the next kid does it (and they would), you stop the problem as a whole.

It’s never just one. And instead of repeating yourself when the next kid does it (and they would), you stop the problem as a whole.
I have been an elementary school teacher for over 20 years, and can vouch for the fact that there is no need to address the entire classroom when one child calls another child a name.

A class lecture isn't going to end all name-calling, anyway. Name-calling is reduced and eliminated by building a strong, positive classroom community among the students in the class. It has nothing to do with talking about the origins or meaning of any names that might be called.

To the OP who must not be from CA, many many businesses are pulling out of CA along with many residents. CA is NOT business friendly unless it's a governmental agency. I don't blame Disney for moving their corporate offices to FL. I don't want to get into the other stuff as I'd get points.

There isn’t only one way to do things you know.
I have plenty of experience working with groups of young kids, teachers aren’t the only ones that do that FYI. I don’t think the teacher broke any laws but to think there were no other options is as ridiculous as those calling this the don’t say gay bill.

Why does it need to be addressed to the whole class though, why couldn't your friend take the child aside and tell them it is wrong and not to do it again? 5/6 year olds don't always need a lesson, sometimes they just need to be told not to do something. And this goes for any insult a student was throwing around.
Now if kids raised their hands and have questions and asks what it means, a simple 2 second explanation of what it is and then a "OK let's move on to......." is simple enough, which is what it sounds like your friend did. I wouldn't consider that against the law.

Personally, I think it is worth addressing when students use a word that is offensive that they likely picked up somewhere without understanding it because young kids aren't usually willfully mean that way, and knowing that some insults cross a line/carry more social weight than others is something they need to learn as they grow.

Not quite the same but sort of, we had a group conversation with several lower el grades when a couple of kids decided to play a game of "deport the illegal alien" at recess, complete with some racially loaded words directed at the kids being rounded up. Mind you, none of this was even meant to be hurtful and no one was upset about it - they thought of it as nothing more than a different take on cops and robbers. Kids generally being kind creatures, at least in my experience, it didn't surprise me at all that the kids involved in this game were fine with changing their behavior when we explained what the words they were using meant (tho we did get pushback from one family, because the kid apparently went home and started correcting a relative for using bad words based on this conversation). Yes, we could have just said "Name calling isn't nice" but helping them understand why those words can be so hurtful made the situation a life lesson in a way that treating racial slurs as no different from "stupid" wouldn't have.

Last edited:
Here we go......

200.gif
OMG I am obsessed with that guy! lol

Sure, but it's not the teachers responsibility to educate the entire class as to WHY it's wrong according to HER/HIS opinion. A simple, "We do not name call of any kind" would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter