Fight Florida's anti-LGBTQ+ changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcruise86

Earning My Ears
By Todd Regan (AKA, "Dusty Sage") on Micechat.com:

.... [Disneyland Resort] parks are currently celebrating Women’s History Month. A stage in Downtown Disney has a bright yellow banner exclaiming “Reimagine Tomorrow” and “Celebrate Her Story.”
So, it would be hard to imagine that a company with such robust support for all of its customers and employees would actually be funding politicians who are actively trying to harm these very same people. And yet, that’s what the Disney Company is doing. They are saying one thing and actively doing another.

You may have heard that Florida has proposed what is being called a “Don’t say gay” bill, and it looks like it could become state law. But what does that have to do with Disney? More than you might think… as Disney has donated to every single sponsor and co-sponsor of this bigoted and hurtful legislation!!!

What makes this all worse is that so many LGBTQ+ employees are being forced to move from their Disney jobs in safe and supportive California to this painfully hurtful environment in Florida… OR LOSE THEIR JOBS! Disney leaders Bob Chapek and Josh D’Amaro were quite vocal on political issues in California that kept the parks closed during a pandemic, hurting their profits. It ignited their passion to move as many jobs out of California as possible. The company is well into the process of moving almost all of the Parks, Experiences and Products division jobs out of California to a new development in Lake Nona Florida as we speak. Thousands of employees have already lost their jobs as a result. All to save some money on labor and get a tax break from Florida.

Where does the company stand in all of this? Have they demanded their money back from the bigots who so clearly violate every principle Disney pretends to stand for these days? Has Bob Chapek stood up on his platform of power to call upon Florida to respect all people? NO!

Instead, Disney has put out statements simply acknowledging the hurt, reiterating their policies, but not addressing the fact that they are enabling these hurtful actions through their donations. They claim that they give to both sides. It’s pay for play. They are essentially bribing politicians to get a tax break. In criminal law, if you aid someone in a crime you implicate yourself as well. So doing something wrong just to make more money is still doing something wrong. Leaders of public companies often times get so wrapped up in making money for demanding (and often morally bankrupt) shareholders and board members, that they forget that they also have a duty to their customers AND employees as well!

Disney is trying to claim that Bob Chapek doesn’t comment on political issues. But that is simply hogwash. He trashed Californian publicly simply because they were trying to save lives, and yet he seems just fine donating millions to bigots in a state he’d like a tax break from. He also just pulled his company’s movies from Russia on political grounds (which we applaud). So the Florida decision is clearly his preference. He has directed the company to say that they support their gay and lesbian guests and employees, but then put money directly into the pockets of politicians who want to harm those very same people. AND, mind you, FORCE gay employees to move to Florida in the middle of this terrible time.

Where is the compassion, Bob? Where is the outrage, Josh? Where are the demands that Florida do the right thing or you’ll move your jobs out of the state (as you did in California)?

Here is the public comment Disney is willing to share, the same they gave to ABC News:
“We understand how important this issue is to our LGBTQ+ employees and many others. For nearly a century, Disney has been a unifying force that brings people together. We are determined that it remains a place where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. The biggest impact we can have in creating a more inclusive world is through the inspiring content we produce, the welcoming culture we create here, and the diverse community organizations we support, including those representing the LGBTQ+ community.”

If we are to take Disney at their word, and given the current situation and the precarious position so many Disney employees are in, we think it’s only right that Disney put its money where its mouth is and do the right thing: 1) Make a public statement rebuking Florida’s hateful legislation. 2) Demand donations be returned from those supporting the bill. 3) Allow LGBTQ+ employees to remain in Californian and not force employees to move to Florida under this hostile environment. We believe the company’s own HR policies can also be used to justify allowing employees to stay here anyway, and we encourage all of Disney’s employees who feel uncomfortable moving to Florida to file HR complaints on the grounds that it’s a hostile environment.

This is more than a political issue, it’s a moral one. Is Disney going to live by the principles and policies they claim guide them, or are they going to say all the right things in public, but then use their money to empower evil?

Disney is a big company, it can take them a while to act, and I really thought they were working themselves toward doing the right thing. But they seem to be doubling down on doublespeak and deception, using empty words while stuffing the pockets of bigots. Keep that in mind as you read future statements from Disney that profess to care about the pain and suffering their employees are feeling. Because until Disney actually demands that money back, draws a line in the sand for Florida, and provides a safe alternative for their LGBTQ+ employees, Disney is just as much at fault as the hate-mongers in the Florida legislature they are so warmly embracing.

I’ll be closely watching the Disney shareholder meeting this week for any sign that a single board member had a spine, or a conscience. I suspect they are all driven solely by money and have no concern whatsoever about ethics or even the company’s own written principles. But I hope I’m wrong.

Here we go......

200.gif

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of silly virtue-signaling by either side, so I'm opposed to this stupid bill.

However, all the bill really does is forbid schools from teaching sexuality/gender orientation classes to kindergarten through 3rd grade kids.

The idea is that kids 4-8 years old are too young to be burdened by zealots from any direction -- that such matters should be left to their parents, and the kids should enjoy kickball.

And, as you would expect, the rhetoric on both sides is incendiary. Proponents of the law are called "bigots" and opponents are called "groomers."

The bill has been passed by both houses of the legislature and will be signed into meaningless law in a few days. Then the frivolous lawsuits will start -- primarily for fundraising purposes, because none of this has anything to do with the kids.

“Don’t say gay” bill,
That's not what it's called and that's not what it does.

What makes this all worse is that so many LGBTQ+ employees are being forced to move from their Disney jobs in safe and supportive California to this painfully hurtful environment in Florida.
Violent crime and murder rates are actually quite a bit higher in California than in Florida, regardless of the sexuality of the victims, so Disney is actually moving their employees to a significantly "safer" environment, if we want to use words like "safe." "Being around people with political opinions that differ from yours" is not a matter of safety.

Last edited:

Disney will give to any politician that is good for business and in FL often give to multiple candidates in any election even if they are running against each other. I doubt the giving is driven at all by social issues and is purely based on which candidate is better financially.

Last edited:
https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sect...ocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=1557&Session=2022

I wonder what kind of shenanigans can occur through the vague phrasing of "Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

How would "age appropriate" or "developmentally appropriate" be measured? Is "age appropriateness" codified somewhere else in Florida law regarding education? How much time and money can be wasted on a parent who, under the auspices of paragraph 7, requests a special magistrate to investigate a concern because they think telling their 14-year-old about transgenderism is "not age appropriate".

I’m confused at anyone who thinks this is already being actively taught in K-3. This ban is silly at best because you might as well ban active instruction of astrophysics and the Old Testament for how equally relevant and often those topics are “taught”, and harmful at worst because it puts the burden on teachers to go blind deaf and dumb even if kids have LGBTQ+ family members - so kids can’t openly talk about their families or the people in their lives? Teachers have to then, what, ignore those children? It’s just silly.

Don't get me wrong, I think this bill is bad too, BUT, I live in CA and these things aren't brought up in school here either. It's all under the auspices of student privacy. I had to put my DS in a private HS for a year before anyone even talked to him about the problem he has with ADHD in fact. Disney didn't move Imagineering out of CA for this though; Disney moved Imagineering because CA made it impossible for them to do business here. They are not the first company to move and certainly weren't the last.

...and harmful at worst because it puts the burden on teachers to go blind deaf and dumb even if kids have LGBTQ+ family members - so kids can’t openly talk about their families or the people in their lives? Teachers have to then, what, ignore those children? It’s just silly.
I agree the bill is silly, but it has nothing to do with students discussing their families. It covers classroom instruction by teachers or third parties -- not what the kids say.

Disney didn't move Imagineering out of CA for this though; Disney moved Imagineering because CA made it impossible for them to do business here. They are not the first company to move and certainly weren't the last.
Exactly, and that's why Disney has said they are not going to comment -- no matter how much the author of that piece wanted to twist things around to his pet topic.

I agree the bill is silly, but it has nothing to do with students discussing their families. It covers classroom instruction by teachers or third parties -- not what the kids say.

But again this isn’t BEING taught and it’s not on any documented current or future curriculums so what’s the point if not just to be cruel and bigoted against LGBTQ+ families?

But again this isn’t BEING taught and it’s not on any documented current or future curriculums so what’s the point if not just to be cruel and bigoted against LGBTQ+ families?
This is all pure politics -- on BOTH sides -- so it's not supposed to make sense. It's a typical political tactic to get BOTH sides riled up, and is a fundraising bonanza for EVERYone.

It has nothing to do with kids or families -- NEITHER side cares about those things.

Don't get me wrong, I think this bill is bad too, BUT, I live in CA and these things aren't brought up in school here either. It's all under the auspices of student privacy. I had to put my DS in a private HS for a year before anyone even talked to him about the problem he has with ADHD in fact. Disney didn't move Imagineering out of CA for this though; Disney moved Imagineering because CA made it impossible for them to do business here. They are not the first company to move and certainly weren't the last.

I think the move was in part because of conditions in CA but also in part because CA is no longer the primary theme park location. If you were designing Imagineering from scratch right now you'd have them near the larger property with more room to expand and that is in FL. A more friendly business climate sure helps but I think the proximity to the biggest property was the bigger factor IMO.

What I have observed, and I disagree completely with this so don't shoot the messenger, is there is the subset of people that think young children being taught about gender identity and other LGBTQ+ topics will be influenced to change their gender identity and/or sexual orientation. I'm not sure the people that think this really understand either gender identity or sexual orientation but there you have it.

Look, I think the bill is problematic - any bill that uses phrases like "age appropriate" without clear definition is, because there are inevitably people who don't think Frozen is age-appropriate for their sheltered 16yo princess and other such nonsense (yes, exaggerating for effect there... but I do know parents who take issue with any homosexual characters even in literature assigned in high school). But it really is just one of those meaningless bits of posturing that has more to do with candidate fundraising and feeding culture wars to get the electorate hyped up in an election year than any real threat to anyone. Saying it makes the state less safe for LGBTQIA employees, families, or communities is just hyperbole.

I think the move was in part because of conditions in CA but also in part because CA is no longer the primary theme park location. If you were designing Imagineering from scratch right now you'd have them near the larger property with more room to expand and that is in FL. A more friendly business climate sure helps but I think the proximity to the biggest property was the bigger factor IMO.

I think so too. It just doesn't make sense to have your design team working 3000 miles from the actual site of the projects they're developing, not to mention being limited by space and cost and privacy concerns when working in an area as expensive and fully built-out as the LA area. DLR is too landlocked to be where the Imagineering is happening these days.

Disney moving potentially 2,000 employees is nothing compared to the other companies who have left California in the last few years.

I also wonder how much decentralization will occur once lots of employers begin forcing their employees back into the offices. A LOT of those employees have relocated to better quality-of-life states since the pandemic forced them to go remote.

I’m confused at anyone who thinks this is already being actively taught in K-3. This ban is silly at best because you might as well ban active instruction of astrophysics and the Old Testament for how equally relevant and often those topics are “taught”, and harmful at worst because it puts the burden on teachers to go blind deaf and dumb even if kids have LGBTQ+ family members - so kids can’t openly talk about their families or the people in their lives? Teachers have to then, what, ignore those children? It’s just silly.
I think the issue is they want to use this as a way to tell schools they can't discuss in any form or fashion the word gay or anything that might be associated with it. Think in terms of teaching tolerance, incidents of student being mean to others and using these types of words (even at that age kids know and use them), or a student having questions about another student etc.

Last edited:
While it prob isn't on any formal curriculum you can look on any social media platform and see teachers for as young as preschool talking about teaching their students about it. Not everything a teacher talks about is in a written cirriculum. And if these teachers aren't actually doing this and instead are just posting on social media for the likes then they are doing the community a huge disservice by posting these dramatic videos talking about how they are teaching 4--5 year olds about sexuality. No one that I know actually has a problem with their kids learning about this, just that it shouldn't be taught to them by their teachers at that age.

While it prob isn't on any formal curriculum you can look on any social media platform and see teachers for as young as preschool talking about teaching their students about it. Not everything a teacher talks about is in a written cirriculum. And if these teachers aren't actually doing this and instead are just posting on social media for the likes then they are doing the community a huge disservice by posting these dramatic videos talking about how they are teaching 4--5 year olds about sexuality. No one that I know actually has a problem with their kids learning about this, just that it shouldn't be taught to them by their teachers at that age.
Agree, and this actually seems to be a continuation of the trend for parents to start to take a more critical look at their kids schools.

For example, school board politics supposedly played a big role in the recent statewide elections in Virginia, and voters in San Francisco recently recalled three school board members with strong votes.

I don't know if it's just the pandemic giving parents more understanding of their school's shortcomings, or they feel that school boards are overreaching, or what. But there sure has been a backlash in recent months.

I guess it's a normal reaction as the school systems engage more and more in social issues.

You stir that pot, people pay attention -- and maybe not in the manner you had hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter