Fields Family Christmas Food Review Christmas 2021

jjctfields

Hopelessly hooked
635143The Great Fields Family Adventure Continues! We found ourselves visiting Disneyland Paris December 27th-29th! We bought the half-board package which was breakfast at the hotel and either a lunch or dinner table service. Basically, you are paying for a table service and getting the breakfast for free. So if you are ok for a two hour break in the parks, then the dining package is worth it. Just for info purposes: 4 adults with no allergies. (Dad - 49, Mom - 48, Daughter - 21, Son - 19) Disclaimer: you have to TRY to take the experience as it is but it is REALLY hard to not compare to the U.S. parks. We are so spoiled to have such access to everything and anytime! :)

So on to the reviews:

First we ate at the Cowboy Cookout BBQ in Frontierland for lunch. (Out of pocket - Not on dining plan)

We were not terribly hungry and we were "saving our appetites" for dinner. So we split a main combo meal and found that the kids menu went a long way at a reasonable price (as park prices go).

The biggest combo Sherriff's BBQ will set you back almost $20 but gave a taste of everything. The two ribs were fall-off-the-bone delicious! The chicken was a half a Cornish hen and quite tasty. Fries were good but on the lite portion side of things - wouldn't have killed 'em to throw another handful of fries on the side. Ketchup for the fries and a few extra napkins is like asking for their firstborn...conservation gone extreme! Coke was flat as are most fountain drinks in Europe...so just expect it. Now the kids menu is about 1/2 the price. It came with two hot dogs, a large side salad, a drink, and a dessert...quite the bang for the buck! (There was a chicken sandwich but the kiddos wanted the hotdogs.)

The dessert was a pecan pie for the Sherriff meal and an Olaf ice cream for the kids meal. Fed our family of four as a decent snack-meal. Score from the Fields fam = A!

Would eat here again!!!
-------------

Dinner at Silver Spur Steakhouse (dining plan)

The dining package meal menu comes with starter, main entre, and a dessert.

The Cowboy Platter could be summed up with a single word; COLD. We didn't want to be rude but it wasn't even warm to the touch. One minute in the microwave would've been awesome The guac was amazing and the best on the platter by far! Wife ordered the Silver Salad - it was worth a "Gold" medal. Very fresh and very tasty...we all wished we had ordered it.

The for the main entre, two of us ordered steak and two ordered the chicken. The chicken was done well and both the ladies like it. The boys ordered the steaks. They were a little tough and totally looked like different cuts? Definitely NOT the quality of a steakhouse. The corn was soggy like it had been soaked for days in water then thrown on a grill just to get the burn marks. Coming from sweet corn country (central Illinois), we wanted to go into the kitchen and say, “Let us show you how it’s done”. Veggies were good and cooked perfectly, very good taste. Drinks are NO REFILLS, which totally sucks when you’ve been running the park all day. (and to ask for water is again like asking for the waiter’s first-born child) Come on Disney, does it really make that much of a difference on a $.20 fountain drink?!?!

The dessert was the redeeming factor of this meal! The caramelized pecan pie was perfect! Woody’s sweet sensation was kinda a cream puff with popcorn, satisfying the sweet and salty tooth! The Cowboy’s Treat was an ice cream sundae with brownie on top’ again, very yummy!
Even with the strong finish, the Silver Spur was more a Rusty nice try! The Fields family graciously gave it a struggling grade of a C.

Been there, done that...won't do it again!
-----------------

Breakfast at the New York Hotel - 2 mornings (dining plan)

OK, the breakfast is a great way to start your day and Disney does it well! This breakfast is a huge buffet with an international spread. I’m sorry we didn’t take a single picture of the buffet but trust me there is something for everyone, no matter your diet. Breads, cheeses, meats, oh my! Hot, cold – eats and drinks. If you walked away hungry – that’s on you! 😊

Fields family give breakfast buffet for both days and A+!!!

----

Our final dinner was at Bistrot Chez Remy (dining plan)

This place is an absolute must – on or off the dining plan! I don’t want to spoil it but the atmosphere is amazing and worth the price of the meal!

Again, Disney is cheap on the drinks – so no refills. Seriously, a family of four is spending $200 and you can’t refill a glass of soda for $.20….whateves.

They did have a wine that was especially made for this restaurant (or so they told us). But we are hook-line-sinker/all-in for Disney so “OK!”!!! As far as wine goes, it was decent – not too sweet and not too dry; great with the meal! (It was about $40 extra – but when in Rome…)

The appetizers were soup and salad. The soup was a pumpkin seasonal soup that the girls loved. The salads were top notch and enjoyed!

The main entre was either steak or fish and no one was feeling the fish. The steaks came with four different kinds of dipping sauces. Each was very good. The Béarnaise and Brie were the hands-down favorites. But it was pulling teeth to get them to bring out a second tiny ramekin of sauce. Again, a family dropping $200 shouldn’t have to want for something as simple as a condiment…bring five of them out. The steak was served with fries and would have been more appropriate with a baked potato. The Ratatouille is worth trying just to say you ate it at Chef Remy’s but it was not great.

Dessert was simple. Boys ordered the cream puffs, delicious. Girls ordered tiramisu and a chocolate mousse, both were equally delicious.

So the grade for Chef Remy’s?

The atmosphere is a solid A+++ but the food was a B-. That being said, the kids both said they would eat there again just for the experience!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening we indulged in some non-alcoholic cocktails at the Skyline Bar in New York Hotel. (free with dining plan)

IMO - way overpriced and we would’ve never spent $12 each on these. They were all delicious and the atmosphere is very modern-sheik.

Drinks = A-/B+

------

And a few snacks we picked up at the bakery on Main Street in the MK.

(Reminder #1 – cookie does not mean cookie. It is more a dry biscuit like biscotti.)

(Reminder #2 – Chocolate does not mean chocolate. It is Nutella which is NOT chocolate!)

(Reminder #3 – Peanut Butter is not peanut butter. I don’t even know how you F-up PB?!?!)

Again, we felt like asking them if we could have a moment in the kitchen to show them how to make it right (said tongue-in-cheek from the sugar addicted Americans).

Chocolate dipped cookie, Peanut Butter/chocolate fudge, Brownie cake pop

Snacks = B-/C+
------------------------------
Thanks for taking the time to read our little review. Feel free to shoot me a question if you have one.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reviews! Seems like you overall had some good and some less good experiences ;-)

About the refills, that's a French thing, prohibited by law that they are not allowed to do. Since 2017 no more sugary (or sweetened) refills to reduce the obesity figures.
The peanut butter, peanut butter is not a common item in France. Nutella is. Google France and peanut butter and you get dozens of articles about France and the lack of peanut butter (written by Americans ;-) )

If you did your research you would know they are prohibited by French law from doing so.
Let's be fair, would that be something you would research before a trip? :)
I think this one is so common in one country, you wouldn't think of researching it when travelling.

One of my own first non-researched cultural misunderstandings was when I travelled to the UK. I was around 18-19 years old and went to Manchester. Low budget = McDonalds for dinner. It had never occured to me that different countries can have different sizes for meals. In the Netherlands a large drink is 0,5l, in Manchester it was 0,8l. I went to the theater right after, seeing Disney's Beauty and the Beast. The first act is 90 minutes long, we were half way through Be Our Guest and I felt like I was about to burst :P

Yes, do your research on culture, but I think there are cultural aspects easy to miss. The no free refills in France is not likely to end up on 'differences between France and the US'.

Let's be fair, would that be something you would research before a trip? :)

True most people wouldnt have :) but we looked up rules on requesting water when dining in France and easily came across that rule.... My husband and I research a lot of crazy things before we go on trips and I forget everyone else is not like us. Plus Disney is driving me crazy about nickel and diming people for things but for once it's not on them!

I totally did not know that refills were prohibited by law, WOW!!! I love how Germany/France hide behind obesity but strongly encourage an alcoholic beverage for an appetizer AND a main course AND dessert! My wife and I joked about not being able to physically walk out of a restaurant with that much booze. Tried it once in Germany - laughed at the "small" beer they brought me (It was a 24oz stein!)...another for the main...and a sweet wine with dessert. Cheeks were a bit rosy and I was thankful for the after dinner walk before we needed to drive! LOL

Thank you for the reviews! Seems like you overall had some good and some less good experiences ;-)

About the refills, that's a French thing, prohibited by law that they are not allowed to do. Since 2017 no more sugary (or sweetened) refills to reduce the obesity figures.
The peanut butter, peanut butter is not a common item in France. Nutella is. Google France and peanut butter and you get dozens of articles about France and the lack of peanut butter (written by Americans ;-) )

Had to laugh out loud with the American take...that was so us! I sure hope I didn't give too much of a negative vibe! Just wanted to be a realist for others so they are not built up or hyped up with faulty expectations. As a total Disney fanatic...I would do it again tomorrow (and maybe the next day too!!!!). Definitely don't want to discourage ANYONE from going to DLP! It was a great trip!

Thanks for the review. I’m curious, as Americans what was your experience getting the Pass Sanitare? Do you have a pharmacy you recommend. My daughters will struggle with the lack of refills too. Do they charge for water?

You got a bottle of Coke ( with Ice ) & they left the Bottle

A Refill would be another Bottle and you pay for it .

Standard Practice

Baked Potato is not a usual dish

Mayo is usually used with Chips ( French Fries ) in Europe

NEXT Time Stay OFF Site & Forget Dining Plan

Had to laugh out loud with the American take...that was so us! I sure hope I didn't give too much of a negative vibe! Just wanted to be a realist for others so they are not built up or hyped up with faulty expectations. As a total Disney fanatic...I would do it again tomorrow (and maybe the next day too!!!!). Definitely don't want to discourage ANYONE from going to DLP! It was a great trip!
Oh definitely not. It is good, because that's how others can prepare. Whenever I say something about DLP, it is from a European pov. As you wouldn't think about questioning peanut butter, it would never cross my mind to tell anyone about the peanuts butter issues in France. :)

Thanks for the review. I’m curious, as Americans what was your experience getting the Pass Sanitare? Do you have a pharmacy you recommend. My daughters will struggle with the lack of refills too. Do they charge for water?

I think the Covid Passport was 30 euro. Download the app before you go and register (it made us look like we knew what we were doing). We thought it was a better idea to get away from the airport. Just Google Map searched for a pharmacy...most all will do it - we ended up at what looked like a mall just a couple miles from the airport. We waited about 15 minutes at most. I think the rules have changed since our trip and now a Booster is needed. We didn't need it in December but were told in January it would change.

If you ask for water....be very deliberate and ask specifically for "TAP" water. Otherwise, you will get a bottle of expensive water. If you do just order water, make sure you ask for "no gas" or "no bubbles"....or you will get carbonated water - which we found was the norm if you ask for water. We did have some places (outside Disney) say, "We don't do that." when we asked for tap water. I felt like, "you do wash your dishes right?" Simply put this glass under that same water...LOL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter