• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Festival of the Arts?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain this to me? About the only info I can find is what Disney publicizes, and we all know that's not necessarily very informative! What is it like, what is there to do, etc.? I've been to F&W a bunch of times; is it really any different?

I have been there in the past. Booths that have works by many artists you can browse through and purchase. Food that is very artfully designed. Chalk designs on the ground done by many artists. You can paint part of the wall mural. Lots of fun!

Can someone explain this to me? About the only info I can find is what Disney publicizes, and we all know that's not necessarily very informative! What is it like, what is there to do, etc.? I've been to F&W a bunch of times; is it really any different?
All we did was look at the art and decided that it would be too hard to transport it home. The chalk work is amazing. It’s such a shame it will wash away.

It is similar in that there are food booths and concerts. However, unlike F&W, the focus of the festival isn’t the food. It’s the art. There is a wide variety of art represented, from painting, to sculpture, even furniture occasionally. Not all of the art is Disney related either. My BIL has purchased a few paintings that had no Disney content at all, while I purchase art that is completely Disney themed.

The food is different too. There is a lot more emphasis on presentation than the other festivals. Artists are available on different days to answer questions and sign their pieces. There is a huge paint by number mural for guests to paint. The concerts are primarily Broadway singers who have been in Disney productions.

If you aren’t really into art of any kind, it might not be your thing. I love art, and this is my favorite festival, beating the F&G Festival which I also love.

Food booths - not as many as F&W, lots of artists booths with prints, chalk art on the promenade to World Showcase, giant paint by numbers, photo ops where you stick yourself into the painting, the eat to beat concerts are Broadway stars instead of Hansen or Tiffany.

Attachments

• IMG_5178.jpeg
    IMG_5178.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5179.jpeg
    IMG_5179.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12

There is also a ‘Find Figment’ scavenger hunt throughout the various countries. The Epcot scavenger hunts are still something my teen daughter and I enjoy doing together.

We love Festival of the Arts! We have visited Epcot during all 4 festivals and we think this is our favourite!

There is also a ‘Find Figment’ scavenger hunt throughout the various countries. The Epcot scavenger hunts are still something my teen daughter and I enjoy doing together.

We love Festival of the Arts! We have visited Epcot during all 4 festivals and we think this is our favourite!
I love the Flower and Garden one. I drag my eye rolling hubby to ooh and ah over topiaries.

This is my fav festival, I am coming solo for a week from Alabama. There are also demonstrations on the festival stage by different artists, Carlton( I think) who paints live while dancing to music and then after you can purchase his pieces. There are so many types of art, and so many people to talk to.

This is my fav festival, I am coming solo for a week from Alabama. There are also demonstrations on the festival stage by different artists, Carlton( I think) who paints live while dancing to music and then after you can purchase his pieces. There are so many types of art, and so many people to talk to.

My husband and I will be there from Alabama as well.

Festival of the Arts is so much fun; you'll have a great time. I echo all the previous posters in what they describe. The food booths are reminiscent of other festivals, and very pretty. The cocktails and drinks as well. I really love the drawing classes, which they teach on the stage at the US pavilion. There are also incredible "Disney on Broadway" concerts every evening/night with several performances. The artists are incredible - of course - and we were really impressed by the talented performers. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/epcot/broadway-concert-series/

It's more laid back and seems less crowded than the other Epcot festivals. The weather is usually cooperative and it lends to a nice atmosphere.

It's a shorter festival with more emphasis on art then food booths. There are some but the food is done to show the artistic side of food. If I were you, I'd watch a few videos (there are tons) to see if you would enjoy it. A lot of people say it's their favorite, I've been a few times but for me it's not a must do. The few times I went it was cold and it rained a few times. Cold and rainy, not for me. It is less crowded as are the other parks during that time of year so there is that.

Back in the early 1990's EPCOT hosted artists at various countries. I was an American Adventure featured artist. In the day I had a 2 BR villa and a parking spot right behind AA in the VIP lot. I ate with cast members on vouchers.

According to the buyer at that time, Disney was pushing for more t-shirts and key chains though she was pushing for more unique art/artists to feature. I was able to connect the buyer to an African family of carvers I met at a show in Boston and saw their distinctive artwork until a few years ago.

My guess is the Festival was a continuation of that but where Disney had artists pay to be there. I got invitations to do the Festival for many years thereafter. The expense of doing out of state shows includes packing, shipping, air, airport parking, rental car, food and of course the booth rent. It takes a small fortune to do a show and you have to sell an amazing amount of art to cover it and make a profit. Most people aren't at WDW to buy expensive artwork.

Guests were amazing and interested in my art and background. I enjoyed chatting with them. In the end Disney bought everything so I didn't have to worry about profit, but that was a different era.

Stop and say hi to artists you like and if you can afford it, buy something you can bring home with and take a pic of you and the artist. It will be a great memory and the artist will appreciate it more than you know! :artist:

We visited during the 1st Art Fest and the 5th, and have done at least two each of the other 3 Epcot festivals (F&W, F&G, Holiday).

Art Fest is FUN! The best food booth offerings imho. By far most creative, and many a great value for what you’re getting. The music shows are cool, filled with Broadway performers and Disney singers. We enjoyed these more than we thought. All over Epcot many art activities, photo ops where you can insert yourself into frames of famous paintings, and vendors of gorgeous Disney inspired art. Tons of eye candy to look at :) There is the spirit of art in every form throughout Epcot.

It is a close 2nd (almost a tie) to my favorite festival - Flower & Garden. Garden Rocks concerts, flowers galore, spring weather :)

Food & Wine doesn’t deliver anymore - seems to be phoned in now and we’ve stopped bothering with those food booths. Eat to the Beat concerts are the best offering here for us.

Too date we've been fortunate enough to attend 3 of the art festivals. Always enjoy seeing the various art work. Last year we actually bought a print of M&M driving a red convertible titled "Havin' Fun', which matches our VW Eos convertible and our fun spirited driving habits. Had it framed at Hobby Lobby. The artist, Nath McCullough (originally from Canada but now lives in Orlando with husband Greg) was in the booth and she signed it for us. Not too much a fan of the Broadway shows at the American Pavilion. We never eat at the food booths at any festival. The weather is usually pretty good for strolling around and looking at stuff. We'll have the elder daughters/SILs with us next month for the Art Festival.

Attachments

• Havin Fun.jpg
    Havin Fun.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Eos at Wendy's 9_20_2023.jpg
    Eos at Wendy's 9_20_2023.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter