Fentanyl

tsme

DIS Veteran
Has anyone else read about the British man who went to YC for drinks, was rushed to the hospital, & died from Fentanyl in May 2022? I’ve seen two articles about it over the last two days, but neither state where he came into contact with it. Doesn’t seem like he was a drug addict, so it’s kind of scary thinking he came into contact with it at YC.
Any thoughts or theories?

This is the first I heard but then I looked up and found a news article from yesterday. It's hard to tell, but it mentions the wife saying they had a relaxing day drinking champagne and then at night he went out by himself to the bar. Sounds odd to me.

I could assume many things, but really there is no way to know what he did or didn't do. If you are drinking all day and then leave family to do more drinking, that doesn't sound healthy.

My thoughts? The lack of protest/outrage/alarm on the part of the wife and other family members indicates that they believe he did something that put him at risk, and the lack of full-blown criminal investigation on the part of local police tells me they hold a similar view. Which isn't to say the victim was an addict or deliberately sought out fentanyl, but by far the most common means of being accidentally exposed to it is through other illicit drugs... say, picking up something recreational to enjoy on vacation. In my area, there have been overdoses associated with fentanyl-laced ecstasy and cocaine, not just the heroin where it is more commonly found, and it isn't unheard of for someone to seek either of those out on vacation even without being a habitual user in day-to-day life. If the family or law enforcement thought even for a second that he was exposed accidentally or dosed deliberately while simply going about his trip like a normal tourist, the reaction would be much more visible and the investigation more intense.

But also, "doesn't seem like a drug addict" really isn't a thing, particularly when it comes to opioids and prescription drugs. It isn't a problem that neatly fits a profile or type.

Here, let me do the googling for everyone... https://nypost.com/2022/11/21/uk-it-exec-died-of-fentanyl-od-during-family-trip-to-disney/

Here's my guess... he either intentionally took drugs (more likely in my opinion) or they were "slipped" to him.
It seems his family knows why he died. They are not looking for answers.
Weybourne’s family said after the inquest that they did not wish to comment further. “We spoke about Philip’s life at his funeral. It is time for closure,” they told the UK Times.

This is the first I heard but then I looked up and found a news article from yesterday. It's hard to tell, but it mentions the wife saying they had a relaxing day drinking champagne and then at night he went out by himself to the bar. Sounds odd to me.

I could assume many things, but really there is no way to know what he did or didn't do. If you are drinking all day and then leave family to do more drinking, that doesn't sound healthy.

There is nothig odd about this at all. My husband does this on vacation all the time and he doesn't have some sort of problem. He simply likes to wind down with a beer at the end of the day, especially at WDW. He likes to go to the hotel bars and talk to other guests or the bartender. It's fun for him. I sometimes go with him, but not always. I like to shower and read in my pajamas to wind down. Different preferences. Plus, many trips we had young kids so I would stay in the room with them and he would go.

Drinking during the day doesn't mean you can't drink at night too. What an odd conclusion to make.

An addict going by himself to the bar in the evening is not a good idea ever. I don't see any other logical explanation given the lack of investigation that he was anything other than an addict that overdosed.

Last edited:
Getting slipped Fentanyl if a person wanted something else is still murder. It is only an overdose if the person intentionally wanted Fentanyl and took too much, so that would still require an investigation. Just because substances may both be illegal doesn't make a lethal substitution less egregious.

Getting slipped Fentanyl if a person wanted something else is still murder. It is only an overdose if the person intentionally wanted Fentanyl and took too much, so that would still require an investigation. Just because substances may both be illegal doesn't make a lethal substitution less egregious.

True, although he most likely obtained the pills at home in the UK before his vacation, thus there was no investigation to be done here.

I hadn't heard about this so I looked it up, according to a couple articles authorities suspect that he obtained the drug(s) in Florida and the family hasn't commented after the autopsy results. So, it sounds like he may have been addict who got contaminated/mixed drugs on vacation. Whether that was from on Disney property not, well, who knows.

That is completely dependent on the state where it happens. In New York, you would have to prove that the dealer knew their product could cause a fatal overdose and it's still only Manslaughter 2nd.

Murder or a lesser related charge, yes, but it very often is not investigated all that deeply once it is established that the person sought out illegal substances. Now, we can talk about the reasons for that as some of them are definitely troubling in a blame-the-victim way, but the fact is, most overdoses involving black market drugs contaminated with fentanyl are sort of chalked up to "buyer beware" unless there's a headline-grabbing outbreak of connected deaths or the victim is particularly noteworthy for some reason.

My state has seen about 2000 fentanyl-related overdoses per year for the last few years. I'm aware of exactly three cases where murder charges were filed in connection with one of those deaths, and two of the three were because a child died after ingesting a parent's illegal drugs. In the third case, not only did the man convicted sell drugs to two people immediately before their overdose deaths, he also indicated he had knowledge of the fentanyl content because he sold from that same batch to an undercover cop and warned him to "be careful with that one" about the product that caused the deaths. The knowledge is what made it a murder rather than simple drug distribution.

There is nothig odd about this at all. My husband does this on vacation all the time and he doesn't have some sort of problem. He simply likes to wind down with a beer at the end of the day, especially at WDW. He likes to go to the hotel bars and talk to other guests or the bartender. It's fun for him. I sometimes go with him, but not always. I like to shower and read in my pajamas to wind down. Different preferences. Plus, many trips we had young kids so I would stay in the room with them and he would go.

Drinking during the day doesn't mean you can't drink at night too. What an odd conclusion to make.
My intention was not to conclude anything other than his family admitted to him drinking throughout the day and then left by himself later in the day. That makes it very possible he was either slipped something or he took something he had and it was laced. Probably not intentional.

I am a prude with drinking and recreational drugs so there is that too. Drinking alcohol throughout the day and then in the evening is more than I could handle and I'm a full-on adult, albeit a petite one.

Here, let me do the googling for everyone... https://nypost.com/2022/11/21/uk-it-exec-died-of-fentanyl-od-during-family-trip-to-disney/

Here's my guess... he either intentionally took drugs (more likely in my opinion) or they were "slipped" to him.
“A British IT exec died from a fentanyl overdose during a trip to Disney World in Florida with his wife and young son… …someone came to his family’s hotel room to tell them he’d been raced to a hospital in Celebration. …Weybourne was already dead by the time his wife made it to the hospital.”

What a freaking nightmare and seeing pics of him w his son in the article 🤦‍♀️ it’s just tragic 🥺

Murder or a lesser related charge, yes, but it very often is not investigated all that deeply once it is established that the person sought out illegal substances. Now, we can talk about the reasons for that as some of them are definitely troubling in a blame-the-victim way, but the fact is, most overdoses involving black market drugs contaminated with fentanyl are sort of chalked up to "buyer beware" unless there's a headline-grabbing outbreak of connected deaths or the victim is particularly noteworthy for some reason.
In most jurisdictions, you also have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt which dealer provided the fatal dose and that can be extremely difficult.

If you are drinking all day and then leave family to do more drinking, that doesn't sound healthy.

My intention was not to conclude anything other than his family admitted to him drinking throughout the day and then left by himself later in the day. That makes it very possible he was either slipped something or he took something he had and it was laced. Probably not intentional.

I am a prude with drinking and recreational drugs so there is that too. Drinking alcohol throughout the day and then in the evening is more than I could handle and I'm a full-on adult, albeit a petite one.
The article mentions that they had champagne at lunch. I know all people are different, but, to me, that would not constitute "drinking THROUGHOUT the day" or "drinking ALL day". I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, but I would certainly not bat an eye at someone having a glass of champagne during a fancy lunch and then having a drink at the resort lounge later that evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter