• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Female Comedian Sued Because of Girls-Only Show

"There was no mistake. It's not about a fun night out for ladies, nor, I'm sure, is the performer or the promoters sorry this guy filed a civil suit. :rolleyes: There is no such thing as bad publicity."

Depends on who you ask. Not every female entertainer is desperate enough to intentionally discriminate just to get publicity. However, you can probably say the same things about men too, especially certain male politicians and people in power --- that they are desperate enough to say and tweet outrageous things just to get publicity.

"There was no mistake. It's not about a fun night out for ladies, nor, I'm sure, is the performer or the promoters sorry this guy filed a civil suit. :rolleyes: There is no such thing as bad publicity."

Depends on who you ask. Not every female entertainer is desperate enough to intentionally discriminate just to get publicity. However, you can probably say the same things about men too, especially certain male politicians and people in power --- that they are desperate enough to say and tweet outrageous things just to get publicity.
::yes:: As I mentioned in my first post in this thread - had the same thing been done by a man it would have been IMO, for the same sensational and evocative motives.

I do agree that if it was the reverse there would be some outcry. I think "Girls Night" stuff is more accepted nowadays (you see it at bars, clubs, etc) so it's not as shocking. But usually those things at bars, clubs, etc isn't about preventing men from coming but rather giving some sort of perk or incentive for women to come out.

In the case of her comedy show the article said: "encouraged women to get together, talk and laugh about the things we go through as well as donate some money to Planned Parenthood." And on the surface I get what she means but why wouldn't you also want money being donated from men who wanted to attend? Are only women for Planned Parenthood? (I assure you that's not the case). If she had just left it as a "Girls Night" thing without the exclusion aspect I'm sure the majority probably still would have been women. It just wouldn't have had strings attached. Heck my mom and I went to Thunder From Down Under in Vegas years ago for my 21st b-day. While it was def. a show aimed at women, with the vast majority being women, it didn't exclude men. Some things will just naturally be majority one gender over another but I don't know that I'm for saying "no men allowed".

The article futher says that at the will-call window the person filing the lawsuit and his friend were advised after a pause that they could attend but that they would have to sit in the back because they were men (which I would have a problem with even if it was meant for both genders to be allowed) but then when they attempted to enter for the showtime they were turned away.

Now I don't agree with the guy's words of "war on men" because I don't think that's the intent at all but I do sorta understand where he's coming from. I personally would have a problem if a place told me that because I'm female I need to sit in the back or that I would denied entry based solely on my gender.

For the last few years a local lawyer has sponsored a girls night slumber party at a hotel. I don't see any issues with women only or men only events. Who gives a crud if you as a man cant go see this show, just move on why make a big deal about it?

What if they start saying they'll have a men's only week at WDW? And don't offer a women's week as well? Or an entire year that only men can go? I know - that's extreme, but after centuries upon centuries of oppressing people based on race, gender, religion, I'm tired of it all. Tired of the categories we try to push people into, tired of the oppression, the segregation, the hate, the stupid stuff we do for no reason at all.

Spend some time with transgender youth - and then you might understand why I feel this way. We have just recently changed what kids will wear at graduation. They used to segregate by gender; one color for males, the other color for females. Trans students were allowed to switch colors. But what about the gender fluid, gender neutral kids? So we finally got one gown, with one color as the base, the other as the trim. The old fogies in town had a few minor fits. Oh well - it's quieted down for now, thankfully, and the kids can focus on the important stuff, like getting senior research done, moving on to college, on to work. After listening to kids talk about how they feel, I realized all the things we attribute to gender are force fed to us so we believe that's the way it has to be. I believe it goes all the way back to religious oppression of females, and I'm done with that.

There will never be any way to eliminate, or even minimize, human "discrimination". How is it defined? Positively or negatively? It all depends on every individual's perceptions and beliefs.

Almost everything we, as individuals think or do, will be found to be either oppresive or discriminatory in someone else's opinion.

It all comes down to how we react to other's beliefs. And good luck with that.

What if they start saying they'll have a men's only week at WDW? And don't offer a women's week as well? Or an entire year that only men can go? I know - that's extreme, but after centuries upon centuries of oppressing people based on race, gender, religion, I'm tired of it all. Tired of the categories we try to push people into, tired of the oppression, the segregation, the hate, the stupid stuff we do for no reason at all.

Spend some time with transgender youth - and then you might understand why I feel this way. We have just recently changed what kids will wear at graduation. They used to segregate by gender; one color for males, the other color for females. Trans students were allowed to switch colors. But what about the gender fluid, gender neutral kids? So we finally got one gown, with one color as the base, the other as the trim. The old fogies in town had a few minor fits. Oh well - it's quieted down for now, thankfully, and the kids can focus on the important stuff, like getting senior research done, moving on to college, on to work. After listening to kids talk about how they feel, I realized all the things we attribute to gender are force fed to us so we believe that's the way it has to be. I believe it goes all the way back to religious oppression of females, and I'm done with that.

My Godson is transgender, and I know exactly what he has been through. That doesn't change my opinion that this "one-time" event for women not allowing men in is not a big deal. The fact that you need to go to extreme examples of "what if" just proves that for me.
I have no problem with some things (like a female comedienne wanting to have an event for women) being separated by genders, just because they are doesn't mean someone is being oppressed. Obviously YMMV and that is OK, but IMO there are far more serious reasons to get worked up over the centuries of oppression people have endured. Some C-list celebrity's show just isn't on my radar.

"Ladies Night" or "Girls Night" advertised by bars and clubs are not the same thing. These are marketing techniques. They give women free beer, special pricing on drinks or whatever to intice women to come to the bar or club which in turn gets the men in. They don't limit who they serve. Men don't care because it does get groups of women in. Now I am sure if a man wanted to sue for the same "freebie" he could. But it's usually not the big wonderful deal it sounds like anyway.

In this case, they are limiting who can actually buy a ticket which is wrong. And I agree if a male tried to do the same thing with "men only", the whole country would be outraged.

Nutcase plaintiff and lawyer and their imaginary "War on Men."

Besides, why would such a man want to go see a female comedienne? They're the types who always say women can't be funny.

"Ladies Night" or "Girls Night" advertised by bars and clubs are not the same thing. These are marketing techniques. They give women free beer, special pricing on drinks or whatever to intice women to come to the bar or club which in turn gets the men in. They don't limit who they serve. Men don't care because it does get groups of women in. Now I am sure if a man wanted to sue for the same "freebie" he could. But it's usually not the big wonderful deal it sounds like anyway.

In this case, they are limiting who can actually buy a ticket which is wrong. And I agree if a male tried to do the same thing with "men only", the whole country would be outraged.

I agree that the whole country would be outraged, or at least the media would try to tell everyone they should be outraged.
I wouldn't care though, to some this kind of thing isn't a big deal.

I agree that the whole country would be outraged, or at least the media would try to tell everyone they should be outraged.
I wouldn't care though, to some this kind of thing isn't a big deal.

Oh I agree! I wouldn't care either. It starts with the media and then everyone decides that's how they "should" feel lol.

Ok, I propose a women only day here on the DIS. Is that ok? On january 2nd no men are allowed to post. No problem right?

I see this whole story as social media getting people worked up into being offended just because and I refuse to be offended just because if it was the other way around many people would be offended.

In protest I am holding a One Man Sit-In! I AM OUTRAGED...but in a "sit down with a beer and think about it" sorta way.:sunny:
How DARE you discriminate against wine or other liquor that might want to be a part of your solo sit-in party???? I, for one, am completely outraged. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter