• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Female Comedian Sued Because of Girls-Only Show

http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/28/iliza-shlesinger-girls-only-show-lawsuit/

Thoughts on this? I'm a man and I'm not that offended by this but I have to admit that if the shoe was on the other foot (male comedian not allowing women customers), there would be national outrage.
Maybe, maybe not. But what is for sure is that any performer that did this kind of thing would be being intentionally provocative. Probably a C-list hack that can't get much attention any other way. I'm surprised Kathy Griffin hasn't tried it yet...:rolleyes1

I have no issue with this at all. However, I'm in California and I suspect this would be illegal here.
I say that because the women's only gyms here several years ago were forced to allow men in.
And as of January 1, 2017, public restrooms in California that have just one toilet must be gender neutral.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either men only or women only. It's a private event and the entertainer should have the right to choose who they want to entertain.

To play Devil's Advocate, what if the female comedian had said "no blacks?" By your own words it's a private event and the entertainer should have the right to choose who they want to entertain right?

Ok,so,if is a black only show, a white one show, a Latino only show - no problem?!?!

Ok what about a police only show, a democrat only show, am republican only show, a only left hand show. Ok better yet a red headed show on the last Thursday of the month.

Once you get exclusive - really !!!!

So I get to exclude who I think won't think I am funny.

My show will only be white women , married with children, over 50 who work outside the home.

Ok,so,if is a black only show, a white one show, a Latino only show - no problem?!?!

Race and Gender are protected classes so I tend to disagree with people who say the entertainer "has the right" to do it.

Ok what about a police only show, a democrat only show, am republican only show, a only left hand show. Ok better yet a red headed show on the last Thursday of the month.

Well these would be and are okay because occupations and political groups aren't protected classes. Neither is hair color.

To play Devil's Advocate, what if the female comedian had said "no blacks?" By your own words it's a private event and the entertainer should have the right to choose who they want to entertain right?

Yep, I'm not saying I'd attend but if the person wants to take that chance, it's their show. We (as in the people) have the right not to attend/watch a show, if we have the right to choose what we want to see, why shouldn't a person have the right to choose who they want to entertain?

Race and Gender are protected classes so I tend to disagree with people who say the entertainer "has the right" to do it.

Well these would be and are okay because occupations and political groups aren't protected classes. Neither is hair color.

If you start to get exclusionary why bother being an entertainer. If you limit your audience to a select few what's the point.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either men only or women only. It's a private event and the entertainer should have the right to choose who they want to entertain.

Unless it's held in a venue that is historically been open to,the public. If she wants to pay to make it a private invitation only, fine. But if they are selling tickets to the public, a bit different. So if I buy a ticket as Lee Johnson, how do they know my gender?

Once you get exclusive - really !!!!

So I get to exclude who I think won't think I am funny.

My show will only be white women , married with children, over 50 who work outside the home.
I'd like to know more about this. Is it a show only for left-handed people or for people with only left hands? My answer depends on this info. :rotfl:

Perhaps this comedian's mistake was advertising it as a "girls ONLY" event. They could have avoided stating this outright, maybe advertise it as "Girls night" not "Girls ONLY". And then if a few men decide to see the show anyway, they could have just been accepted in for the show without anyone making a big deal out of it. It could still be predominantly a "girls night" event, even if the few men decided to watch the show. They might be the odd ones out, but at least they weren't specifically discriminated against. What harm is having a few men in a "Girls night" event?

I see billboards and commercials promoted by divorce attorneys who represent "male clients only". And vice versa, there are "female-clients only" divorce attorneys. So far I haven't heard about them being sued. However, I am in FL, not CA.

There will always be men-only, women-only services and meetup groups. I don't think the intent is to discriminate. But in CA perhaps it is best never to promote or advertise the group as "men only" "women only" etc. It will seem like gender discrimination to some people, even when that is not the intent.

For the last few years a local lawyer has sponsored a girls night slumber party at a hotel. I don't see any issues with women only or men only events. Who gives a crud if you as a man cant go see this show, just move on why make a big deal about it?

For the last few years a local lawyer has sponsored a girls night slumber party at a hotel. I don't see any issues with women only or men only events. Who gives a crud if you as a man cant go see this show, just move on why make a big deal about it?

Okay but couldn't you say the same about minorities back in the 1950s/60s? If a diner said "We're not serving you because you're brown/black," would you have just told them, Go find another restaurant, why make a big deal about it?

Perhaps this comedian's mistake was advertising it as a "girls ONLY" event. They could have avoided stating this outright, maybe advertise it as "Girls night" not "Girls ONLY". And then if a few men decide to see the show anyway, they could have just been accepted in for the show without anyone making a big deal out of it. It could still be predominantly a "girls night" event, even if the few men decided to watch the show. They might be the odd ones out, but at least they weren't specifically discriminated against. What harm is having a few men in a "Girls night" event?

I see billboards and commercials promoted by divorce attorneys who represent "male clients only". And vice versa, there are "female-clients only" divorce attorneys. So far I haven't heard about them being sued. However, I am in FL, not CA.

There will always be men-only, women-only services and meetup groups. I don't think the intent is to discriminate. But in CA perhaps it is best never to promote or advertise the group as "men only" "women only" etc. It will seem like gender discrimination to some people, even when that is not the intent.
There was no mistake. It's not about a fun night out for ladies, nor, I'm sure, is the performer or the promoters sorry this guy filed a civil suit. :rolleyes: There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Okay but couldn't you say the same about minorities back in the 1950s/60s? If a diner said "We're not serving you because you're brown/black," would you have just told them, Go find another restaurant, why make a big deal about it?

I don't really see this as the same thing. This show is just a temporary entertainment event for women. It is no different than the example I put in my post. Is it really a big deal that a man isn't allowed to go?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter