Feeling neglected by my travel agent

Ok, I was wondering if it was just me, because everyone talks about how great they are. I booked our previous cruise myself bc was last minute and got a great VGT rate. This time we are doing Alaska so I went with DU. I feel like mine has just done the bare minimum to get by, hasn't always been the best (or friendliest) at answering my questions, and then as soon as I paid in full was like "go to DCL website and book yourself for anything else you need". But apparently, I'm not alone and it isn't just me.

I'm having this same experience with my Dreams Unlimited travel agent! I've never been on a cruise before, so I had a couple questions prior to booking. After I booked and paid, I asked another question because I was confused about something... I was told I needed to "be patient". I was really bummed because it made me feel like an nuisance. I could see if I was e-mailing question after question repeatedly... but I asked 3 questions, all in replies to e-mails she had sent me. She did clarify she had a personal situation going on, but I'm afraid to ask any more questions. :( I've just been using the board to get my info instead.

Similar for me too. I used them with high hopes...was disappointed though. It was all so cold and impersonal...Felt like I wasn't even dealing with a human being and they were no help whatsoever. Never again.

Reading this thread confirms my belief that travel agents are outdated, and that I would never rely on one. It seems very likely that most of the agents you're describing have never been on a DCL cruise, and therefore have little knowledge about them.

I agree. We used a travel agent the first time we took our kids to WDW years ago, and since then never again. It felt like an extra hassle, and we ended up booked in a smoking room, which we had to promptly change. I find it so much easier to do everything myself.

I've been nervous about booking through a TA because I'm afraid we'll get an unresponsive, unknowledgable agent. I contacted two well known agencies before our last WDW trip; both gave what seemed like basically auto replies and then neither ever got back to me about booking anything so I just did it all myself. Maybe booking through Costco and then just doing everything myself would be okay (can I do things myself if I book through Costco?)

I've not been very impressed either but I only booked with Dreams because of the onboard credit. I've got another agency I tend to use that gives me great deals and awesome service for other kinds of reservations. I do love the Boards though.

I have been happy with my DU agent but I don't expect her to do anything other than quickly answer basic questions about payments, cancellations, or insurance, which she always has. I just really want the onboard credit, which for our family is several hundred dollars and too much to turn down. I realize this is not the normal role of a travel agent, especially for trips to WDW where there is a ton more planning involved, but it seems as though that is what DU has turned into - people only wanting the on board credit and little or no planning services, so that seems to be what they tend to deliver, generally speaking of course.

The single reason I use an agent is because DCL's website is soooooo bad. No joke. For our first ever cruise we needed two staterooms and it was complicated trying to figure out my options. I then booked a second cruise on board and named my agent just because. But for the next cruise I will not use an agent again. I dislike giving over that control - would rather deal directly with Disney. The on board credit is not worth it to me - especially now that it has been reduced for OBB bookings.

I have been happy with my DU agent but I don't expect her to do anything other than quickly answer basic questions about payments, cancellations, or insurance, which she always has. I just really want the onboard credit, which for our family is several hundred dollars and too much to turn down. I realize this is not the normal role of a travel agent, especially for trips to WDW where there is a ton more planning involved, but it seems as though that is what DU has turned into - people only wanting the on board credit and little or no planning services, so that seems to be what they tend to deliver, generally speaking of course.
This is what confuses me. DU claims that what sets them apart is their "concierge" approach. I just want to know how to tap into this.

I have a great travel agent. I used to do everything myself but tried her one time and had wonderful service. When we go to Disney parks she keeps an eye out for special rates and has often reduced the price of our vacation. Her agency gives a good on board credit and even after paid in full is quick to answer questions. I hear from her periodically as the trip approaches and just received an email from her as we leave next Saturday on the Fantasy. Over the past several years I have used her for WDW, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Cruises, Universal Studios,and this summer for an Adventure by Disney trip. I also get an email from her after our trips to make sure everything went ok. My friend used a travel agent from a different company and missed her paid in full date for an upcoming cruise by one day and so had to forfeit her deposit. My travel agent would have been on top of it and would have contacted me. Hers did not. So I guess I am lucky to have found her. Her agency is not local for me but I have had no problems with email communication and have only spoken to her on the phone one time.

How much of an OBC do they offer? I understand if you book straight through Disney you dont get any unless they are having some sort of special. I have heard that the amount of OBC TAs are able to give is based on the amout of DCL bookings they average, is this true?

I'm having this same experience with my Dreams Unlimited travel agent! I've never been on a cruise before, so I had a couple questions prior to booking. After I booked and paid, I asked another question because I was confused about something... I was told I needed to "be patient". I was really bummed because it made me feel like an nuisance. I could see if I was e-mailing question after question repeatedly... but I asked 3 questions, all in replies to e-mails she had sent me. She did clarify she had a personal situation going on, but I'm afraid to ask any more questions. :( I've just been using the board to get my info instead.

I would request a different agent if I were you. They make money off the service (even if you're not directly paying them), and it is their job to provide that service. "Personal issues" is no excuse for doing a bad job- totally unprofessional.

I will say that I have used Dreams for all but 1 of our 7 cruises. Have I ever been "blown away" by their service? No. I don't get the "concierge service" bit either because they basically just book your cruise, and you do the rest. Never have I had an agent "track deals or discounts" for me. In fact, the last cruise I pretty much did all the legwork and told the TA what to do and HOW to do it! I was so unhappy with her, but just put it down to the fact that I got a pretty good onboard booking credit and I love to plan travel.

Last edited:
WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!
That agent would not like my response if they told me to be patient when all I did was ask questions regarding my travel.
That is THEIR JOB!!! Their personal situation is THEIR PROBLEM!! Not mine!! Answer the questions in a timely manner. That is what your commission is paying you to do!!!!
What a crappy TA!!!

I have not been at all been impressed with DU. I have used another agent with a competitor multiple times and a I found her to be excellent. I tried DU mostly because the boards are great but after using DU 2x - I am going to go back to my other agent.

I sent my DU agent a question over a week ago and no response. I have maybe sent her 3 questions in the past year and 2 of the 3 she did not respond to - it's unfortunate.

Let me start by apologizing if anyone feels that they are getting anything less than stellar service from their Dreams Unlimited Travel agent.

Whoever you have as an agent, whatever the circumstances, the buck stops with me as one of the owners and I am truly sorry for anyone feeling this way. That is not the mission of our company at all.

Please write to me at John@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com and I will be happy to try to rectify the situation.

Many times I post on the boards when there is a problem and ask people to contact me but I never get an email. I'm not sure if it's because people don't want to get their agent in trouble, or what the reason is, but if you don't fill me in on the specific issues I can't work to fix them.

Again - please send me an email and I will do my best to personally correct any issues and make sure you have a great cruise planning experience going forward - John@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

John it's absolutely because I didn't want my agent to get in trouble. From others recommending her on here I can only assume she's awesome for others. It just wasn't a good fit for us this time. If we had booked another cruise while on board I would have listed DU as the agent but would have contacted you to request a different agent. I hope the OP does contact you this time, and anyone else who still have upcoming cruises and aren't happy with their TA.

I'm honestly curious about TA education/experience. Are there TA's who specialize in cruises vs parks vs ABD? Do they get "recertification" every so often? I'm honestly just curios about the structure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter