• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feeling left out of close friend's wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most places in America, seeing a mental health therapist is no different than seeing a podiatrist
Speaking just for myself, I'm more embarrassed to admit I see a podiatrist than a therapist. Feet are more personal than the brain.
I didn't want to adopt for companionship as much to you already. If I wanted to adopt it was going to be give a child a good home. Like I said before the reasons I don't pursue adoption is because of my disability. If I was able bodied I would have already adopted a child.
Have you considered being a foster parent? Adoption isn't as easy as you seem to think, but there are tens of thousands of minors needing foster homes. https://www.upbring.org/14310/how-to-become-foster-parents-in-texas-9-steps/

I've always wanted to be a father and still want to be father. I've said a bunch of times that I considered single parent adoption. A person who doesn't want to be a father wouldn't even considered it. I even wrote emails to a few lawyers, but I didn't hear back from them.

I wanted to adopt to give children a good life.
Have you considered the foster care system? You could start out by providing respite care for other foster parents. If you eventually adopted a child, You could look for an older child who would be able to take care of some of his or her own needs.

THat burden is 100% unfair and unreasonable to place on another person.

Why do you have to tell anybody you're single and not married??? That's redundant. Even more curious, though, is why you have to advise your existing friends of your marital status at all? Do they not already know?

Having or raising a child to make oneself feel better or happy is a ridicu!ous burden on the child.

Then do other things.

But most important: get counseling.

Being single and not married are two different things.

I live in the US in Texas. I've known many people who stigmatize mental health issues. I don't want to deal with that when I already have to deal with issues being physically disabled.

A good, qualified therapist can help you deal with ALL of it. You're not alone; there's help out there for you. Just find a therapist and give it a try for a month.

There's a Youtuber I watch who talks sometimes about his "quest for positivity." The general idea that he talks about is that we all have things happen in our lives that we can't control...bad stuff happens to us. But we CAN choose how we respond to it.
I've known many people who stigmatize mental health issues. I don't want to deal with that when I already have to deal with issues being physically disabled.

Anybody who you're friends with who would stigmatize a mental health issue is not a very thoughtful person. Maybe you should stop listening to and spend less time with individuals like that. Surround yourself with people who will really support you, not mock you or make fun of you for a what is essentially a medical condition.

I'm going to get on my soap box here for a sec. What I'm about to say is not meant to be hurtful to you or anyone here.

Almost 12 years ago when my 2nd child was born, I went through a bout of postpartum depression. It started 2 weeks after my YDD was born. It was really rough. I felt terrible about it. Loved YDD with all my heart, but had no idea how to deal with the postpartum depression and anxiety. I had intrusive thoughts of harming the baby and I felt awful about it. Then I'd feel like I was going out of my mind because I couldn't stop the "tape" in my head. I had panic attacks, too. It was bad.

I decided to seek psychiatric help. I went to a psychiatrist who my midwife recommended...someone who was experienced in helping women dealing with postpartum mental health problems. That physician put me on a low dose antidepressant that made a HUGE difference. That physician also helped me get connected with a therapist in the area who ran a postpartum depression & anxiety support group once a week.

So I started to go to that. Even if I went in my pajamas and looked like hell. That was a lifesaver. I cannot describe how validating it was to hear directly from other people just like me who were describing the exact same thing that I myself was also going through. I finally felt like somebody really understood what I was going through. Somebody else "got it."

With something like that, you don't really truly "get it" unless you've been through it.

By YDD's 1st birthday, I had weaned off of the antidepressants and everything was fine.

Was I "weak" for seeking out help? I mean, hey...I should have just been able to "suck it up" and "deal with it," right? After all, I **WANTED** to be pregnant and have a baby! So what the hell did *I* have to complain about? Just "be strong" and deal with it, right?

I will never regret seeking out help during that super stressful time in my life. I **HAD** to do something. Something **HAD** to change because my situation was getting worse, not better.

You know what would have been really dumb, foolish, and stupid? To not get any help at all. To suffer through it. To try and tough it out.

It would have been equally stupid for me to just continue doing more of the same, expecting a different result. That's kind of where you seem to be right now. You're stuck. Maybe you came here because you're looking for help and you don't know where to turn. I have been down that road myself and I and several others here are all telling you the same thing.

With much love and respect, if you were one of my dear friends or family members, right now, I would be telling you to get over yourself and go get some mental health assistance from a professional. I'd tell you to quit feeling sorry for yourself. I'd tell you to knock it off with constantly comparing yourself to your friends. I'd probably also tell you stay off of social media like Instagram, which tends to paint a picture that everyone is living a fabulous carefree life. I'd also tell you to stop the martyr and the pity party because the violin bow isn't working anymore. Then I'd offer to help you find a reputable mental health professional and support group in your area. If I lived near you, I'd offer to drive you to the appointments if you needed that. And I'd give you a hug.

The choice is yours. Your future is in your hands. Whoever in your life it is who is putting ideas in your head that getting mental health help means you're weak and less of a man....that person is a flippant ignorant jerk. REAL men recognize when they need help with something. A REAL man has the guts to turn the corner and change something about himself if he isn't happy with it.

You've probably already done this many times in your life. You just can't see it. The problem is not external to you. The problem is between your ears. You can do something about that. Lousy stuff happens to people all the time. Not getting selected to be a groomsman in your buddy's wedding is one of those things. But YOU can choose how you react to that. Nobody else has control over that. Only you do.

There are therapists who have experience working with people in wheelchairs and can understand why seeking help is hard for you. Give it a chance. Nothing will get better unless you change your thinking. A quote I really like is "your trauma is not your fault but your healing is your responsibility."

I wasn't planning to put burdens on child. Do you think all single people who adopt or have children through other means are doing for companionship?

Well, you did say:
If I could easily adopt as a single parent, I would do it in a heartbeat so I wouldn't be so alone in my life.

That reads as wanting to adopt a child for companionship.

Speaking just for myself, I'm more embarrassed to admit I see a podiatrist than a therapist. Feet are more personal than the brain.

Have you considered being a foster parent? Adoption isn't as easy as you seem to think, but there are tens of thousands of minors needing foster homes. https://www.upbring.org/14310/how-to-become-foster-parents-in-texas-9-steps/

Have you considered the foster care system? You could start out by providing respite care for other foster parents. If you eventually adopted a child, You could look for an older child who would be able to take care of some of his or her own needs.

I know adoption isn't easy. That's why I didn't pursUe any further than emails to lawyers. I have no desire to get involved with foster care because it's mostly older children and it would be difficult to bond.

Okay don't go to a therapist. Go see your regular doctor. He/She will be able to prescribe an anti-depressant.

I already have to take medications for phyiscal health issues. I don't want to add something else to that. I just want complete control over some areas of my life.

I did think originally we were getting punked, now I really think we are. Even if we aren’t, we were all invited to and attended a pity party. Totally okay to go to one as long as the person ends the party because the friends cheered them up, but alas, this party will never end because the person does not want help.

And for the record, I was originally going to suggest foster care like the above posters, but you would never be capable of doing foster care. Not because you wouldn’t be able to bond but because of your woe is me attitude. Everything would be about you and not about the child that has gone through enough trauma to end up in foster care.

Something struck me from a post early on. You said you wanted the groom to honor YOU by asking you to be in the wedding. Dude. Seriously. The wedding is not about you. At all.

I’ll tell you right now that your desperate vibe is keeping you from having SO. You say you act happy and positive , but I guarantee you that women can sense your desperation. And that desperation probably makes them think you want more of a caretaker than a partner. They can tell the positivity is an act, and not the truth.
Your wheelchair isn’t the barrier to you finding your soulmate, your mental health is. And by refusing to get help your poor mental health is controlling you. Your are not in control of it.

Something struck me from a post early on. You said you wanted the groom to honor YOU by asking you to be in the wedding. Dude. Seriously. The wedding is not about you. At all.

I’ll tell you right now that your desperate vibe is keeping you from having SO. You say you act happy and positive , but I guarantee you that women can sense your desperation. And that desperation probably makes them think you want more of a caretaker than a partner. They can tell the positivity is an act, and not the truth.
Your wheelchair isn’t the barrier to you finding your soulmate, your mental health is. And by refusing to get help your poor mental health is controlling you. Your are not in control of it.

I know the wedding isn't about me. I have just wanted one opportunity/chance to be in a part of a close friend's big day. It hurts that I can never be one of the friends who gets the honor to be a part of a wedding. Maybe I should accept that I'm never good enough for any of my friends to include me in their big days. The wedding party is about honoring friends and showing everyone else that those friends are the favorites.

I'm not looking for a caretaker.

In my friends wedding recently the groom wanted to have more friends as groomsmen but the bride didn’t have anymore friends she wanted to be bridesmaids and she was adamant about having the same amount on both sides. Sometimes you don’t know the reasoning behind people’s choices.

Also for your dating profile - revise your bio, change photos (one of you, one with friends, maybe an action shot of you playing basketball) and give it another shot. Don’t give up :)

In my friends wedding recently the groom wanted to have more friends as groomsmen but the bride didn’t have anymore friends she wanted to be bridesmaids and she was adamant about having the same amount on both sides. Sometimes you don’t know the reasoning behind people’s choices.

Also for your dating profile - revise your bio, change photos (one of you, one with friends, maybe an action shot of you playing basketball) and give it another shot. Don’t give up :)

Thank you for the tips on dating profile. I haven't updated in awhile. The pictures I use are headshots, I try to not put anything with my wheelchair in the intial profile.

. The wedding party is about honoring friends and showing everyone else that those friends are the favorites.

This isn't necessarily so. When it came time for me to select bridesmaids, I was told by my family, who happened to be paying for everything, that I was to ask my female cousins to be in my wedding. There were 10 of them and I wasn't especially close to many of them. I'd have much rather had friends, but since my parents were footing the bill for everything, I decided to not let this be the hill I'd die on. Sometimes there are family dynamics that outsiders don't know and understand.

I know the wedding isn't about me. I have just wanted one opportunity/chance to be in a part of a close friend's big day. It hurts that I can never be one of the friends who gets the honor to be a part of a wedding. Maybe I should accept that I'm never good enough for any of my friends to include me in their big days. The wedding party is about honoring friends and showing everyone else that those friends are the favorites.

The woe is me is getting old. Either tell them that your feelings are hurt or move on. But being upset with them for something they have no idea about isn't fair. And it isn't being a good friend.

You literally have an excuse for why every single suggestion given. So I stand by that you like playing the victim. It's become your identity. And I promise you that is the vibe you are giving out to everybody.

I wish you all the best. I hope you'll finally come to your senses and get some help.

I already have to take medications for phyiscal health issues. I don't want to add something else to that. I just want complete control over some areas of my life.

But what you aren't realizing is you DON'T have control over your mental health right now. You are letting your depression control you and keep you from being happy. Think about it this way: I imagine because of your disability that you know what it's like to be in intense physical pain. The kind of physical pain that makes it hard to see clearly, to focus and to do anything because the pain just kind of takes control over your body. That's what people go to a doctor for, right? And usually some combo of surgery, physical therapy, meds, etc helps to dull that pain. It may not erase it, but it makes it manageable, and gives you back some control.

Well, depression is very similar. It clouds your mind, fills you with negativity, makes it difficult to see the good in your life, and keeps you from moving forward and living the life you want. A life where you are happy and feel fulfilled. Just like physical pain, depression can control you. And just like physical pain, there are ways to take that control back. If you want to have control over your life, if you truly want to be happy, then find a way to get your depression under control. Whether that be a counselor, group therapy, meds (which your regular doc can prescribe), a support group, etc, there are ways to get that control back.

So the question is, do you want to be happy or not?

In most cases, a wedding party is NOT about honoring friends or showing everyone who the favorites are. This has been touched on by others previously, but I'll reiterate: there are numerous variables that come into play when choosing a wedding party. Sometimes parents insist that certain people are selected (and it's hard to say no if they are contributing to the coat of the wedding). Other times, there are familial traditions or obligations that must be taken into account. Sometimes people feel pressured to include someone if they were previously in that person's wedding party. Or bride and groom agree to only select people that they both know well. Sometimes it's a matter of logistics with certain people living closer, having more time, knowing that person can afford the additional costs involved with being in the party, etc.

Sometimes, the wedding party includes people the bride and groom don't even particularly like, but felt obligated to include. It is not a measure of picking favorites and I don't know of a single person that would go to a wedding, see the wedding party and automatically assume that those people are the bride/groom's "favorites." Heck, I got married in a courthouse and we brought one person to be our witness, who by default was given the title of best man. I don't even remember his first name. He wasn't mine or DH's best friend, he wasn't family. Logistically, he was the only person who could be there at the time and that's the only reason he got picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter