Feeling guilty all of a sudden, need help...

MammaNicholas

Mouseketeer
Our trip is 10 days away. We have discussed our trip so many times with our children, to make sure we include everything they want. This is our big birthday trip, celebrating dh, dd, and ds' birthdays since they are all so close together. We have a special dinner for ds and dd to celebrate at the places they chose. DS Hollywood & Vine for lunch, and DD at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for Princess Storybook lunch. DH got to pick all the other dinning, and he mostly chose character dining for the kids, which is fine. Here's where my guilt is coming in. DD's lunch is the day before her actual birthday. We leave on her birthday. I know she's disappointed we cannot stay one more day, but said she understands. About an hour ago, I all of a sudden thought she's turning 9, she shouldn't have to understand. To do somethin super special, I was thinking I could add one more day to our park tickets and bring her to the castle for breakfast and one more round on her favorite ride before we leave, but there's nothing available, and I know the chances are slim to none that something will come available. Anyone have any ideas? DH may go nuts of we're not on our way by 1.

STOP just stop!!!

I am going to get rough here BUT you are being ridiculous. Your children are getting a fantastic wonderful trip full of things many kids only dream of. You do not need to feel guilty about a single thing! Do not change your plans. Do you know how many kids do not celebrate their birthdays on their actual birthday's and live? MY DD's birthday is 2 days after Christmas. She is 18 do you know how many times she actually had her cake and her party on her real birthday? twice!!! her first party and her 17th. That's it. ( we usually are traveling to in-laws and she spends it driving 12 hours or more)

It will be fine that you are leaving on her birthday, If you change all your plans when they are already fabulous you are really sending her the message that the world revolves around only her and is that the kind of person you want to be raising?

You are doing something wonderful for your kids and they will love what they are getting! If you want to do something get her a cupcake at lunch before you leave on her birthday and sing happy birthday.

STOP just stop!!!

I am going to get rough here BUT you are being ridiculous. Your children are getting a fantastic wonderful trip full of things many kids only dream of. You do not need to feel guilty about a single thing! Do not change your plans. Do you know how many kids do not celebrate their birthdays on their actual birthday's and live? MY DD's birthday is 2 days after Christmas. She is 18 do you know how many times she actually had her cake and her party on her real birthday? twice!!! her first party and her 17th. That's it.

It will be fine that you are leaving on her birthday, If you change all your plans when they are already fabulous you are really sending her the message that the world revolves around only her and is that the kind of person you want to be raising?

You are doing something wonderful for your kids and they will love what they are getting! If you want to do something get her a cupcake at lunch before you leave on her birthday and sing happy birthday.

I have to agree - if your daughter is 9, she is plenty old enough to understand the logistics of traveling home on her actual birthday. If you must do something on the actual day, a special last breakfast at 1900 Park Fare or Chef Mickey's might be understandable. Otherwise, celebrate the day before and tell her she can plan something special at home with friends if you feel she has been "shortchanged."

Personally, I'd tell a 9 year old her birthday celebration falling the day before is plenty of "celebration" and guilty is the LAST thing I would feel!!

It only cost a few dollars to add a day to your tickets...
What day do you need an ADR for???

We almost always celebrate birthdays on a day other then the actual birthday (my oldest son's 10th b-day is a wed this year, we are celebrating on Sunday after).

I would do something small on the actual day... maybe dessert/cake something with lunch and that's about it.

I agree with the others..

One thing that we do on "birthday mornings" is we break all the rules and have birthday cake for breakfast... Perhaps, you can get a Mickey cake and serve in the room that morning before you leave.. That would be something special that could be done if you feel necessary. I would not totally redo your trip plans..

Agreeing 100% with Hannithy's Post. I'm finally getting to MK after 30 years!!! I would have LOVED to go when I was 9! She'll understand, buy her a special cupcake and remember, it's the LITTLE things that they remember!

:flower3:Thank you for your suggestions and for bringing me back to reality.:flower3:

:confused3I just don't know what came over me.:confused3

I know my kids are very fortunate to be celebrating their birthdays at Disney. And they've both been big part of the planning. They know we're having a cup cake party for them and their friends on the 15th, right in the middle of their birthdays. And on the 30th, DS' birthday, they're leaving for a week at sleep away camp. What more could any kid want?

:confused3Like I said, I just don't know what came over me.:confused3

All of a sudden I felt like I wasn't doing enough, when I know we're doing way too much.

Okay, now it's time to get back in that "OMG, 10 days to DISNEY" mode!

Thanks again to all of you.

:flower3:Thank you for your suggestions and for bringing me back to reality.:flower3:

:confused3I just don't know what came over me.:confused3

I know my kids are very fortunate to be celebrating their birthdays at Disney. And they've both been big part of the planning. They know we're having a cup cake party for them and their friends on the 15th, right in the middle of their birthdays. And on the 30th, DS' birthday, they're leaving for a week at sleep away camp. What more could any kid want?

:confused3Like I said, I just don't know what came over me.:confused3

All of a sudden I felt like I wasn't doing enough, when I know we're doing way too much.

Okay, now it's time to get back in that "OMG, 10 days to DISNEY" mode!

Thanks again to all of you.

Whew - for a minute I thought I was going to come back and read that you hadn't resolved this in your own mind despite all of our sensible advice!!!;)

Glad to see you have reined yourself in - you know your daughter is lucky and will have a awonderful time. No need to set her up for a future of expecting her own way desste reasonable circumstances that prevent it. She will have a wonderful birthday!

Good Job!!!

Sometimes we all need a slap back into reality, that's what other Moms are for.

Have a fantastic trip :)

We will be there the same time you are and staying at POP too.
:banana::banana::banana:

Anyway, I have two little girls and while I agree with the PP, I will also acknowledge that Mommy brain can sometimes get the better of us.

Maybe you could get her a special souvienier or something signed by her favorite pricess while she is not around and then give that to her on her actual birthday or as another poster said, do a crazy great breakfast, let her pick whatever she wants whether that is cake or ice cream and go with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter