• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feeling guilty about the price of that room!

williejs

Earning My Ears
I currently have reservations for the Dolphin the end of August, first week of September. I am taking advantage of the "special" discount. I have stayed at Dolphin before and loved it. I'll be going solo, with the remote chance a girlfriend may joining me. I'm a single female, mid-40's, staying for 8 nights. The cost of the Dolphin is $1418.00 Quite a chuck a of change. I've got old tickets to use up from previous trips so will have no out pocket expenses except for an airline ticket, food (love those protein bars for lunch), shuttle, and some of those great microbrew beers. Can I afford it? Yes. I've done some great trips to the carribean and boat charters, etc., and cruises, etc. And spent some big bucks to do it. However, there is some guilt complex taking over... I feel like I'm reverting back to childhood or something. Anyway - am I crazy to "do it for myself?" It's also my birthday.

You are so NOT crazy to do this for yourself! And it's for your birthday, it's a present to yourself! As long as you can afford the expense, go for it! You don't have to justify to anyone why you spent the money you did, it's yours.
You shouldn't feel guilty about enjoying yourself! :flower:

If you can afford it don't give it a second thought. Who knows what your financial future holds. :duck:

Enjoy your trip! :flower:

What's the alternative use for the cash? If you're saving reasonably for retirement and emergenices etc., then I say Go For IT! You won't be able to enjoy such a thing from the bed at a nursing home, or from the great beyond!

I think you did fine.

even a DVC resort like the Beach Club Villa or BWV - would be around
$1,040 (first week in Sept), $1,340 (last week in Aug) or a studio.

now 5 days in the same time Sun-Thurs (leaving on Fri) - Sept - $600, August - $650.

so even comparing to the DVC studios - you did just fine.

I don't know how the Dolphin works - but a WDW resort you would be better off making 2 reservations - one before Sept 1 and one after - generally Sept is less than Aug.

I know what you mean...I'm feeling a little guilty myself. I had booked POR w/a code that now I am too nervous to use because I do not have a PIN to go with it. Some say you need it, others say you don't. Then I booked The Swan which is costing about $300.00 more than POR. So now I am holding 2 reservations. I will probably cancel POR as I have stayed there before and am looking forward to The Swan. But that $300.00 continues to haunt me. I made 2 seperate reservations for The Swan to get better rates.

Williejs,
We women were raised to believe that doing for others was ok...but doing anything nice for ourselves was something we should feel guilty about.

Break out of that mindset! It's your birthday...do whatever makes you feel good!

If you really want to stay onsite but maybe save jsut a bit of money, maybe you culd consider a studio OKW using DVC rental points at $10 per point S-thursday and then sweitch over to the Dolphin for the weekend days of your trip when it costs more in points. WIth DVC there isn't any added taxes or anything, and a studio would give you a little kitchen so you cuold have more than a powerbar for lunch! 8 days in a hotel is a bit much for me...i like my morning coffee without getting dressed or paying for room service LOL, but splitting up the trip could save maybe $300 and give you a good taste of two resorts.

Also...have you considered priceline? Not sure if it would work at the Dolphin but I use priceline for times when I KNOW there are only 1 or 2 5 star resorts in the area I am bidding for...then I use ONLY 5 stars as my category and bid $50.00 a night....and darn if I usually get exactly where I wanted! Did this recently at LAX cause I knew the Westin ws the only high star resort in that area....got it for 3 nights at $50.00!!!!! Not sure how limited an area you could close it down to for your need: might have to do Lake Buena Vista.
So there is a possibility you could get one of those Hyatts or Marriiotss close by.
one last suggestion. I'm doing this myself for my trip in May to visit my new DVC at BWV...I could only get ressies for 3 of 5 nights so I decided to stay at a timeshare next door to Celebration for two nights....first night free and $39 for the second if I do a 90 mintute presentation. Well, I've ALWAYS wanted to check out Celebration and never had the time before...so I figure I 'll have a nice 1 bedroom wtih jacuzzi for two nights for $39 plus 2 hours of my time. Works for me and reduces any of those guilt trips about spending too much on myself!

Happ Birthday! Treat yourself like the incredible being you are! Go for it!!! No regrets! :jumping1:

I believe that one should save for the future..HOWEVER there is no guaranteed "future" No, I'm not gonna get all Ghandi and stuff. My point is this. I save, invest and plan for what I hope will be wonderful golden years.
But I ALWAYS take the BEST vacation possible when I can! I have been all over the world (won't bore you with details), spent a boatload of money, never regreted a dime. I was a single mom for 13 years, had to create my own reality and future...(we CAN do it ourselves, girls..tho I love my DH :smooth: I also know I can take care of myself) When Gilda Radner got sick, no one believed her..on her tombstone she has Gene Wilder put.."I told you I was sick" :sad2: I have already told DH :smooth: that when it is my turn, I want mine to say "I had a really good time!" think about it--no guilt-
HAVE FUN!

Thanks for all the support. I'm feeling less guilty and just going to go and have a great time! You guys have given me some great suggestions.

Two words...Do IT!

I was also feeling guilty when I booked my trip. A few weeks ago I decided I needed to get away from all of my daily stress and I booked a last minute trip.

I decided upon Disney since I had never been there and couldn't get anyone else to go with me. I wondered why I had waited so long and I deserved to go.

Well.. I just got back from staying at the Swan for 4 days, which wasn't enough time. I am already looking forward to going back. It was just wonderful and even though I paid premium prices for a last minute decision I don't regret one piece of it.

This was my first solo vacation and I was worried about going to a "family" place by myself. But everyone that I encountered was pleasant and helpful. The staff at the Swan was fantastic and making myself get out of the heavenly beds each morning was the hardest part of all.

The Swan allowed me to have the convenience of getting around on the free park buses as well as a five minute walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk.

It was all worth it and I feel great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter