• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feeling a bit mopey...

WorldWacky

DIS Veteran
We’re sitting here on the side of 81N in PA waiting and waiting and waiting for AAA. It’s been 2 1/2 hours. We’ve been in touch with the tow guy and it seemed like they were on their way. We just finished up a beautiful trip to TN and our camper blew a tire on the way home. A chunk of it must have gotten caught on the plastic of the wheel well and it’s crammed in between the two tires. Plus a bunch of wires got ripped out. My fuse box inside was ripped out of the wall. This stinks. :sad:

:( Sorry for the bad end to your trip. Hope AAA gets there soon, gets you fixed, and that you make it home safely

Hope AAA gets there and fixes everything. At least it happened at the end of the trip and not at the beginning. Safe trip home.

Has the PA Highway Patrol been by? In California, if the Highway Patrol calls for the tow, they have to be there within 20 minutes. It's know in the industry as an "expedited tow" because you are either a hazard on the road, or are in a dangerous location.

Hope AAA gets there and fixes everything. At least it happened at the end of the trip and not at the beginning. Safe trip home.
Thanks. And you’re right, at least we got the trip in. We had been planning this for three years. Cancelled last year because of the fires that destroyed so much of the area. We finally got back on the road at 2:15. Four hours later.

Has the PA Highway Patrol been by? In California, if the Highway Patrol calls for the tow, they have to be there within 20 minutes. It's know in the industry as an "expedited tow" because you are either a hazard on the road, or are in a dangerous location.
Not a single PA State Trooper went by in four hours. I have to say, the truckers were the best ones on the road. They switched lanes or slows down traffic for the most part. One guy even pulled over to help us with the flat, but it was waaaay more complicated than just a flat.

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. I needed that. Hopefully we can get home tonight without any more issues. We’ll have to assess the damage and see if it’s worth fixing it. We may have just gone on our last camping trip for a while. At least it was a great one. I highly recommend Anchor Down RV Resort. It was way fancier than where we usually camp, but it was in the right location. It rivals Fort Wilderness in its beauty, cleanliness, and service!

Oh no! That is awful. My parents had an axle break on their giant 5th wheel on the way home from Florida to Michigan and it messed up everything. They were very lucky that it happened right by an exit to a small town with a truck stop with a garage. The mechanic welded the heck out of it enough for them to get home. They only lost a night, but it was still very scary! Enough so that they've left the 5th wheel in Florida permanently.

Just a suggestion that you can take with a grain of salt, but my parents get their insurance through Good Sam which is for RV's and your vehicles. They've had great service from them and they've had some major issues while traveling. For the incident I mentioned, they paid to get the whole axle thing fixed and brand new tires.

I hope they get there soon and that the repairs don't end up being too major!

We’re sitting here on the side of 81N in PA waiting and waiting and waiting for AAA. It’s been 2 1/2 hours. We’ve been in touch with the tow guy and it seemed like they were on their way. We just finished up a beautiful trip to TN and our camper blew a tire on the way home. A chunk of it must have gotten caught on the plastic of the wheel well and it’s crammed in between the two tires. Plus a bunch of wires got ripped out. My fuse box inside was ripped out of the wall. This stinks. :sad:

Sorry hope you've gotten help by now. I feel your pain - in
April on way to Disney, we blew an inner tire on our motorhome on I-95 near Savannah, GA. We have roadside ins. but they were no help, (wanted to tow us somewhere - we said NO, wanted it fixed on the road).

We finally found a service center nearby that we called ourselves - were fortunate to be near a large city. They sent someone out within an hour, brought a new tire, changed it and we were on our way in 45 more min. We were reinbursed for the service charges. We had no other damage.

By the way, we've stayed at Anchor Down a couple times in route through TN. It is a very beautiful campground, but very pricey and not a place we'd want to stay any longer.

Again, so sorry, and hope good service soon will lift you up some!!:hug:

Sorry hope you've gotten help by now. I feel your pain - in
April on way to Disney, we blew an inner tire on our motorhome on I-95 near Savannah, GA. We have roadside ins. but they were no help, (wanted to tow us somewhere - we said NO, wanted it fixed on the road).

We finally found a service center nearby that we called ourselves - were fortunate to be near a large city. They sent someone out within an hour, brought a new tire, changed it and we were on our way in 45 more min. We were reinbursed for the service charges. We had no other damage.

By the way, we've stayed at Anchor Down a couple times in route through TN. It is a very beautiful campground, but very pricey and not a place we'd want to stay any longer.

Again, so sorry, and hope good service soon will lift you up some!!:hug:
Thanks for all the good wishes. After waiting 3 1/2 hours, help arrived. 30 min after that, the guy was able to get the wheel well shoved back up and all of the wires that had wound themselves around the drum out so the spare could be put on. We’re still not home though. CRAWLING in NJ trying to get to the George Washington bridge. Getting on and off Long Island is SO much fun. :sad2:

Oh no! That is awful. My parents had an axle break on their giant 5th wheel on the way home from Florida to Michigan and it messed up everything. They were very lucky that it happened right by an exit to a small town with a truck stop with a garage. The mechanic welded the heck out of it enough for them to get home. They only lost a night, but it was still very scary! Enough so that they've left the 5th wheel in Florida permanently.

Just a suggestion that you can take with a grain of salt, but my parents get their insurance through Good Sam which is for RV's and your vehicles. They've had great service from them and they've had some major issues while traveling. For the incident I mentioned, they paid to get the whole axle thing fixed and brand new tires.

I hope they get there soon and that the repairs don't end up being too major!
I actually have Good Sam Roadside Assistance, but couldn’t get through to them! That’s when I called AAA. For some reason, I’m not able to get the roadside assistance for my RV through AAA. In PA, VA, FL it doesn’t seem to be a problem, but it isn’t offered in NY. At least that’s what the agent told me. If anyone has a different experience, please let me know!

I actually have Good Sam Roadside Assistance, but couldn’t get through to them! That’s when I called AAA. For some reason, I’m not able to get the roadside assistance for my RV through AAA. In PA, VA, FL it doesn’t seem to be a problem, but it isn’t offered in NY. At least that’s what the agent told me. If anyone has a different experience, please let me know!

Again, so sorry, but glad you're finally on way home. We have Progressive Ins. and our roadside assistance is included. We have needed it a few times, and they've always come through.

Hope you're home & safe by now. 3 1/2 hours seems excessive to wait for AAA. Seriously? I'd be on the phone tomorrow morning asking some questions.

We FINALLY made it home by 9:05pm. Only 13 hours in the car when it SHOULD have been a 6 hour trip even. :crazy2: BUT, the fix that the guy made held, so thank goodness for that. Today I’ll call our insurance to see if any of the damage will be covered. We do have a policy for the camper. We’ll see. Thanks again everyone for letting me be a big baby and complain yesterday. :P

Glad you made it home safely. Now you have another travel story to tell in addition to your actual vacation. Hope your insurance can cover some of your repairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter