Feeding my dog rice & ground beef

Ohhh eggs, I can add them, great idea! This past week I started to make a batch that would last about 4 days at a time with cooked ground beef and home made rice that I'd blend and then leave in the fridge and scoop out and warm for 6 seconds on the microwave. Maybe adding eggs would be best in an as I go sort of way since they can go bad fast? I could scramble one in the morning and add a bit as I go through the day. We gave him some of our evening fruit snacks with small nibbles of orange, apple and pear.

Sweet potato is his favorite thing ever, we can give small bits of that too :)

Now on a quest for home-made dog food recipes but it seems tough to find. Funny, I don't feed my family processed stuff might as well bring my dog into the same fold.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/fruits-vegetables-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/

This is as I remember it.

Video and Blog: How Did a Euthanasia Drug Get into Pet Foods?

In summary, the FDA acknowledged that pentobarbital was present in foods and that the levels were too low to cause illness or death. This policy established a potential loophole for pet food manufacturers that few veterinarians or pet owners knew existed. But still, how does a euthanasia drug end up in pet food?

First of all, I’d like to address the myth that euthanized dogs and cats are the source of pet food pentobarbital. Various labs, including the FDA, use DNA tests to analyze the protein origin and haven’t found cat and dog proteins in pet foods. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen; it only means the evidence points to, and confirms at this time, other sources of contamination.

The FDA and other labs have found rendered horse meat and beef to be present in pet foods containing pentobarbital.
The most recent Evanger’s, Against the Grain, CocoLicious, and Smucker’s recalls have been blamed on the presence of rendered horse meat. Pentobarbital is commonly used to euthanize horses, and rendered horse meat is used in dog foods, so horse meat is a likely source of the deadly drug.

Certainly, if anyone has any other credible information about cat and dog meat in dog food, I’d love to see it.

** @shawthorne44, if you make a [relatively outrageous] claim like that, you really should be able to back it up with legitimate sources.**

This is as I remember it.

Video and Blog: How Did a Euthanasia Drug Get into Pet Foods?

In summary, the FDA acknowledged that pentobarbital was present in foods and that the levels were too low to cause illness or death. This policy established a potential loophole for pet food manufacturers that few veterinarians or pet owners knew existed. But still, how does a euthanasia drug end up in pet food?

First of all, I’d like to address the myth that euthanized dogs and cats are the source of pet food pentobarbital. Various labs, including the FDA, use DNA tests to analyze the protein origin and haven’t found cat and dog proteins in pet foods. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen; it only means the evidence points to, and confirms at this time, other sources of contamination.

The FDA and other labs have found rendered horse meat and beef to be present in pet foods containing pentobarbital.
The most recent Evanger’s, Against the Grain, CocoLicious, and Smucker’s recalls have been blamed on the presence of rendered horse meat. Pentobarbital is commonly used to euthanize horses, and rendered horse meat is used in dog foods, so horse meat is a likely source of the deadly drug.

Certainly, if anyone has any other credible information about cat and dog meat in dog food, I’d love to see it.

** @shawthorne44, if you make a [relatively outrageous] claim like that, you really should be able to back it up with legitimate sources.**
OK, so since you know about this can I ask how often are these DNA tests done? Are they weekly? Monthly? Annually? Is every line tested at the same rate? Is every lot tested? Every manufacturing plant? All pet food or just some? If I remember my statistics class properly the validity is all in the timing.

I don't really need proof to deselect a thing but since you offer correction based on what seems to be some special knowledge I'd be interested to see your results too. In fact, I'd love to know what the deal is with my brand so I'd know it isn't the bags of food I have so I can gift them to a shelter. :)

I think you should have your dog seen by a vet. Ill pets will often turn their nose up at their regular diet but continue to accept other foods. It isn’t because something is wrong with the kibble; rather, something is wrong with the dog and they’re having to be tempted by more “exciting” foods to get them to eat.

OK, so since you know about this can I ask how often are these DNA tests done? Are they weekly? Monthly? Annually? Is every line tested at the same rate? Is every lot tested? Every manufacturing plant? All pet food or just some? If I remember my statistics class properly the validity is all in the timing.

I don't really need proof to deselect a thing but since you offer correction based on what seems to be some special knowledge I'd be interested to see your results too. In fact, I'd love to know what the deal is with my brand so I'd know it isn't the bags of food I have so I can gift them to a shelter. :)
I don’t really have a lot of special knowledge. I just happen to follow dog food trends a little bit, especially ones that are in the news, since I want to keep my little guy healthy. I was pretty horrified at the time of the pug incident (described at the beginning of the article I posted) and so delved into it a little more deeply, and even posted about it here (in a thread that was largely ignored). But I had never heard about dog and cat remains being used in dog food here, so that is why I was shocked to read that allegation here. Just to explain. Not long before that incident there were issues with melamine (plastic) in pet foods and treats, and there are also contaminants in many foods and treats, etc.

As far as the DNA testing goes, I don’t know a lot about it other than it’s fairly easy to do today and that they are able to easily tell the difference between different species of animals when they test the DNA. Just like they can tell the difference between human and animal DNA. I don’t know how often they’re done, but I would assume, especially since this has been an ongoing issue, that they are looking fairly regularly, and getting a good cross section of samples.

I think you should have your dog seen by a vet. Ill pets will often turn their nose up at their regular diet but continue to accept other foods. It isn’t because something is wrong with the kibble; rather, something is wrong with the dog and they’re having to be tempted by more “exciting” foods to get them to eat.
I was assuming the dog was already seen.

I don’t really have a lot of special knowledge. I just happen to follow dog food trends a little bit, especially ones that are in the news, since I want to keep my little guy healthy. I was pretty horrified at the time of the pug incident (described at the beginning of the article I posted) and so delved into it a little more deeply, and even posted about it here (in a thread that was largely ignored). But I had never heard about dog and cat remains being used in dog food here, so that is why I was shocked to read that allegation here. Just to explain. Not long before that incident there were issues with melamine (plastic) in pet foods and treats, and there are also contaminants in many foods and treats, etc.

As far as the DNA testing goes, I don’t know a lot about it other than it’s fairly easy to do today and that they are able to easily tell the difference between different species of animals when they test the DNA. Just like they can tell the difference between human and animal DNA. I don’t know how often they’re done, but I would assume, especially since this has been an ongoing issue, that they are looking fairly regularly, and getting a good cross section of samples.
The thing is, I guess, that we all tend to trust that things are copasetic even when they don't deserve that trust so they can say they do the tests but what does that claim really mean?

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember the mesalamine in food thing which was awful and I think read something you posted about the collars recently which made me look them up, I had no idea they were still on the market :(

Yes, my dog was seen only about a month ago when this started.

What I knew was from when we first rescued our dog 10 years ago. I haven't kept up with it since then, and I certainly can't dig up that information now. If I were forced to change brands, I'd re-investigate. Although the best way to determine whether or not you need to be concerned is to email your preferred brand and ask them if they guarantee there is no dog. If you like their response, then wonderful. There are some that do promise.

I'd also take the DNA tests with a grain of salt. For example, water quality tests. The rules where I live say that there has to be a certain number of passing tests. But the rules don't say that every test has to be reported or that each test has to be minimum of time away from the previous one. So, they get a passing test, they immediately do another one. If it fails, they wait a bit. If I were a company that used rendered dog and cat, I'd have people watching the news. If there was any report that might cause an investigation, I'd replace the dog and cat with more horse meat and wait awhile before going back to normal.

The thing is, I guess, that we all tend to trust that things are copasetic even when they don't deserve that trust so they can say they do the tests but what does that claim really mean?

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember the mesalamine in food thing which was awful and I think read something you posted about the collars recently which made me look them up, I had no idea they were still on the market :(

Yes, my dog was seen only about a month ago when this started.
So then what did the vet say? You mentioned that you hadn’t considered pancreatitis but surely that would’ve been one of the first things the vet looked for. Was that ruled out?

Sweet potato is his favorite thing ever, we can give small bits of that too

Sweet potato has almost 400% Vitamin A over the RDA for humans. Probably similar for animals too. :thumbsup2

Some people feed their dogs a tablespoon of pureed pumpkin every day. Start slow though, I read it can have a laxative effect if too much is eaten too soon. 💩

So then what did the vet say? You mentioned that you hadn’t considered pancreatitis but surely that would’ve been one of the first things the vet looked for. Was that ruled out?
Vet sort of brushed it off and gave him his vaccine.

At the time I thought the bad smell he had was from his teeth and the Vet was talking about a murmur and getting a heart workup so he can have his teeth done. Seemed focused on that more than anything else.

Since I switched to home made food the smell is gone so I'm reasonably sure it was something in his GI that was wrong.

Thinking maybe the Vet we've had isn't such a great Vet.

Vet sort of brushed it off and gave him his vaccine.

At the time I thought the bad smell he had was from his teeth and the Vet was talking about a murmur and getting a heart workup so he can have his teeth done. Seemed focused on that more than anything else.

Since I switched to home made food the smell is gone so I'm reasonably sure it was something in his GI that was wrong.

Thinking maybe the Vet we've had isn't such a great Vet.
It’d probably be a good idea to run some blood work if that hasn’t been done recently.

My dog had tummy issues and the DR. said to give a bland diet of chicken and rice and she was better in a week. But I will keep her in my prayers.

My son’s dog (approximately (she is a rescue) 9 year old Silky Terrier) suddenly had an aversion to her dog food (Fresh Pet for Small Dogs). We tried several different foods, but couldn’t land on anything she liked. Then, we tried SoJo’s Mix-A-Meal. My son adds boiled chicken breast. The mix provides all the nutrients the dog needs. She LOVES it. Gobbles it up every time.

https://www.sojos.com/mix-meal/sojos-mix-meal-grain-free-recipe-pre-mix-dog-food

Came back to share that there has been a complete transformation for my little Luv.
This is what he gets now after it's blended, he gets about 3/4 cup 4 times a day & it looks like 90% of the base of the Sartu di Riso (no onion or tomato).

I get a big family size ground beef & cook with a can, frozen or fresh peas & carrots 2021-07-15_17-39-31_443.jpeg. He gets ha then use the broth to flavor my tomato sauce and keep the other half for us tacos/meatloaf/burgers.

Came back to share that there has been a complete transformation for my little Luv.
This is what he gets now after it's blended, he gets about 3/4 cup 4 times a day & it looks like 90% of the base of the Sartu di Riso (no onion or tomato).

I get a big family size ground beef & cook with a can, frozen or fresh peas & carrots View attachment 590447. He gets ha then use the broth to flavor my tomato sauce and keep the other half for us tacos/meatloaf/burgers.
How much does your dog weigh?

For those feeding homeade dog foods and boutique brand foods I would strongly encourage you to research diet related DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy). I have three friends who have lost their dogs to this. There are really only 5 dog food brands that actually have peer reviewed scientific research behind their nutrition and its safety. If your dog suddenly stops eating foods it has been eating there is usually another underlying medical reason (as others have already said). If your vet blows your concern off, find another vet. But personally, I would not risk creating my own homemade diet if I had a dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter