FEEDBACK NEEDED - DIS Meet October 2020 At The Fort

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Folks,

Last year we kicked around the idea of having a DIS Meet at Fort Wilderness where we all come together to camp at the same time. We'd spend some time together while having a good ol' WDW vacation.

As a reminder, here is the thread that gauged interest:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/who-is-up-for-a-fort-wilderness-dismeet-discussion-thread.3689372/

Since there was sufficient interest, we had a poll on when to do the DISMeet:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-fort-wilderness-dismeet-poll.3690908/

There were 24 votes in the affirmative that could support October 2020 during Columbus Day week (the holiday is on Monday October 12).

I your nervous, overworked and underpaid, organizer (I lost the rock-paper-scissors game with the other contestants) have been in contact with Disney (a most rewarding exchange of information :sad2: ) and a travel agent used by some DIS'sers who has 20+ groups experience working with Fort Wilderness.

Personally my preference is to let the TA deal with Disney. They negotiate with Disney, we make our reservations with the TA, and I don't have to use tiggerdad's credit card number for everybody's deposit. :teeth: . We may end up paying rack rates although you never know. But time is of the essence and we need to decide on three key points which is why I am asking for your feedback.

Those three points are:
  1. We need a name for our group for the contract that I as your organizer must sign (makes me a little nervous but like I said since I got tiggerdad's credit card number, I'm a little less nervous). My initial thought is "DIS Rendezvous 2020" or "FW DISMeet 2020". (A rendezvous in the woods centuries ago was when the mountain men who trapped beaver out West all year would bring their pelts/furts down into civilization, cash in, buy a few supplies, take a shower, then head back to the mountains for another year). Name suggestions are welcome. I am proposing "DIS Rendezvous 2020" but want your feedback.
  2. We need to decide on a campsite level if we want to camp near each other. I guess our choices are between Full, Preferred, and Premium. The TA (who lived at the Fort for 5 years) while working as a TA seemed confident that even a Full loop would work for us because we turn in our trailer/rv measurements in advance and they are assigned based on if the rig will fit. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we won't know what loop we can be put in together until much closer to the event. And going in October you're not going to get some core loops, I was told. I am proposing Premium but want your feedback.
  3. We need a 14-day time frame for the contract that covers our desired window on the calendar. Our target window (I am assuming) is October 11, 2020 (Sunday) to Sunday October 18 (a span of seven days). Disney in the contract will grant us a block up to 14-days long so we need to decide how to split up the remaining seven days (we could put some before October 11 and some after October 18 or all on one side). Why is this important - because if you want to arrive earlier or stay later than what you sign up for on the group arrangement, you need to make your own reservation (by yourself or through a TA). My proposal is to cover the early arriving period. This basically covers those coming in sooner and gets them in the group loop without having to move (same level) later. Anyone wanting to stay longer makes their own reservation for the same level. I am proposing arriving as soon as Sunday October 4, 2020 and leaving no later than Sunday October 18, 2020 (in the contract).
There are more details as to the hows and what for's but we need to settle on these 3 points in the next week or so because the 500 day window will soon be upon us. So by next Wednesday May 15 I am going to act on the feedback in this thread that represents the majority of opinion.

Of course, the 24 folks who voted affirmatively in the poll - we know life happens and things come up so you might not be able to make it. Conversely, newer folks, we welcome all DIS members who want to come and enjoy a little fellowship. Read the links above then you'll know everything I know. Our Gulf DIS Meet (see the Community Board) is now in its 4th year and is laid back and enjoyed and grows annually (that's why we're in year 4). That's the model I have to go by since I have nothing else to go by. :scared:

Please let me hear from you by Wednesday May 15, 2019:

1. Group name
2. Site level
3. Time window

:crazy2: Who's idea was this again?

Bama ED

PS - tiggerdad, I used you as my foil above. I hope you don't mind. And would you confirm your cc CVV? :rolleyes1

PPS - lordy I'm stressed.

PPPS - no one know 2020 rates for October yet but here is 2019 and add 3-5%.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2019-fort-wilderness-rates-and-price-increases.3690577/

Last edited:
1. Group name
2. Site level
3. Time window
1- I like either choice or a combo of the 2. I think we should have "FW" or "the Fort" in the name. How about "The DIS Rendezvous at the Fort 2020"
2- Your time window (10/4-10/18) should cover it. That is actually the window I was considering coming in for, unless we go to spring training. Then I would probably cut the Fort trip to 10 days or so.
3- I was thinking about trying to get into a Full. (going to check them out in more detail this September) Full might make it a little more cost effective and might attract a few more people. I'm good with either a Premium or a Full (as long as I fit- all 65 ft)

Thanks for taking the time to coordinate this and do the leg work. I was the Rally Master for the a few years with my prior trailer manufacturers owner's group. It is a lot of unappreciated work. Let me know when you get the CCC for Tiggerdads card. I have a few things I want for the camper. :D

j

Sorry, I would of posted sooner but I had to make some changes on my credit card account:rolleyes1

1. FW DISmeet 2020 is good for me.
2. Typically we always stay on premium, mainly due to it being cleaner and usually (but not always) bigger. This being typed, if it works out better for folks cost wise to go with full hookup then it is fine with me. I'm good either way.
3. Likely for us our arrival day will be the 3rd and leaving on the 10th. Pending any changes by school board by then.

Thank you Ralley Master Ed for taking your time to start this,

1. FW DISmeet 2020 sounds good.
2. With the size of our camper we usually stay in premium loops typically the 800 loop, but that's not to say I can probably squeeze into a full loop.
3. The dates you have posted are good with us just not sure on how long of a stay for us, I know at least 8-9 days.

Now my mom and dad and my aunt and uncle were planning on coming the same time in their two campers. Their all Disney newbies and I was wondering if we can add them in on planning this trip, if not it's ok I'll book them.

Now my mom and dad and my aunt and uncle were planning on coming the same time in their two campers. They're all Disney newbies and I was wondering if we can add them in on planning this trip, if not it's ok I'll book them.
I say "the more, the merrier". Don't worry, we'll break them in right. 8-)

Michael may be right. If this keeps up we may need a whole loop.

j

I had a thought for a name.

Disney seems to be on a roll with drawn out, very descriptive names for things. "Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort" "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series", how about:

"DIS Meet 2020: A Rendezvous at the Fort"

:D :-) o_O :worship: :dogdance:

j

Well, thanks folks so far. Let me add:

- As I said, the TA thought that since people turn in their trailer/rv measurements when they sign up and spots are pre-assigned, that we could get large trailers into a Full spot and spend less than what a Premium costs.
- Another thing to keep in mind, I was told, is that fall is a popular time for groups at the Fort so if we go Full we may get last choice of which loop as a new group versus the returning, established groups overlapping our time window.
- But I am all about trying to save some money on a WDW vacation.
- As SouthAlabama5er/Randy suggests, DIS posting is not a requirement. If you have friends, family, etc. who want to camp with us, they are welcome.
- A big unknown is how many sites to ask for.

Keep the feedback coming, please. Questions? Comments?

Bama Ed

Maybe categories for size of rig. Mine would be "Huge". Randy and Chris would be "OMG". Ed's- "Tiny" or "Minuscule" or maybe "Gnat like" or even "That's cute" (my friends with the T@b got that a lot)

A big unknown is how many sites to ask for.
Are we locked into a number of sites? Under guessing would cause issues for going over and people not being together, but are we committed to paying for as many as we say, even if we have less and give them back before a deadline?

j

"DIS Meet 2020: A Rendezvous at the Fort"

I actually like this name. :worship:

We will probably make our own reservations since we may be coming earlier and staying later than the dates. Haven't quite decided on dates yet for sure.

looking forward to the meet, barring any unseen medical issues. We've had a few the last couple of years. :crutches:

I say "the more, the merrier". Don't worry, we'll break them in right. 8-)

They may never camp again after meeting half of us!:crazy2::crazy2::crazy::crazy:

bama ed: If we meet on Saturday, are you going to have the Nebraska football game on? :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rotfl2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

As to a name for our Merry Band I so want to be a wise acre but after much deep consideration and thought may I submit the following for consideration;
THE ROCK STARS' ROADIES.
Man of us have been privileged to have met and been impacted by Yeti and/or Mallory and this would be IMHO a fitting way to honor them.

As to site type Full sites would very likely meet the widest variety of needs. I have seen some very large rigs in the 1800 loop and the others 16/17 and 1900 Chris and Randy would likely have to leave tow vehicles in overflow

For us That TA is who we use and she has our dates for then and will just fold us in

And let me clarify something on time frame:

The 14-day window is what's specified on the contract but within that time frame we are aiming for the week of Columbus Day Oct 12, 2020 which is the week of Oct 11-18, 2020. You don't have to stay for the whole week. You can come in just for a weekend or a couple days. I'm thinking we should should shoot for any group events (such as a pot luck lunch) be in the earlier part of that week. Because being a Disney vacation, folks will want to hit the parks.

Bama Ed

Bama Ed, the bride and I will most likely join in on the fun also. However, I will make my own reservations in a FHU site. We have been there twice, both times in FHU sites and have had zero issues with size of site and, they are cheaper :bored:. My FW is only 31' with combined length of 48' but I have seen and even helped a guy maneuver his 42' Toy Hauler into a site in the 1900 loop. What we like about the FHU sites is that they are not near the "hustle and bustle" of the sites nearer the Settlement/Beach/Pool.

1. I like the name FW DISmeet 2020, short and sweet.
2. We prefer the full hook up sites, they are plenty big and cheaper than full.
3. Since we will be there for Halloween, we most likely will only come up for a weekend, prefer the 1st 9-11 so we will have two weekends before our Halloween trip. If more people will be there the 2nd weekend 16-18, then we may do that one.

Ed, thank you for doing this :worship: .

Ed - you are so brave to tackle this...

1. I too like this name: DIS Meet 2020: A Rendezvous at the Fort
2. A Full would be good for me to keep costs down
3. Planning on coming in on the 11th and staying thru Nov 1 (I think this might mean I need to do my own reservation???)

i have a question. Do you know when we will need to know when 1) We are going to attend the meet and 2) when we need to make reservations? Right now we are not planning on the Oct 2020 Dismeet at the fort, but it is a long ways away and our minds will change a LOT before then.

They may never camp again after meeting half of us!:crazy2::crazy2::crazy::crazy:

Uh, rajak, I've met Randy's folks on past Gulf DISMeets and you just might have that backwards. His momma is as nice as she can be but his daddy may have stayed out in the sun too long .... :rolleyes:

If we meet on Saturday, are you going to have the Nebraska football game on? :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rotfl2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Shouldn't be hard to do, rajak. It'll probably be the early noon game. That way we'll have time to refresh before the Bama game comes on in prime time. :happytv:

Are we locked into a number of sites? Under guessing would cause issues for going over and people not being together, but are we committed to paying for as many as we say, even if we have less and give them back before a deadline?

Jim, my knowledge of the process is far from complete. But my limited understanding is we request a block of sites and the time comes where we can book them through the TA for a limited period of time. I'm going to have to wait until I get a contract to know for sure.

Bama Ed, the bride and I will most likely join in on the fun also. However, I will make my own reservations in a FHU site.

I'm detecting a definite lean toward Full, tripleb. Thing is, what if they assign us to 2100? I'm not as familiar with it since it converted back versus the other four Full loops.

1. I like the name FW DISmeet 2020, short and sweet.

It occurs to me during this conversation that we need a group name for the contract for Disney to recognize us by. So the short-&-sweet "FW DISMeet 2020" might do for the contract. But for the koozies, t-shirts, window clings, stuffed plushies, shot glasses, and other branding/merch opportunities this event could generate, we could go with a longer more descriptive name like "DISMeet 2020: A Rendezvous at the Fort". The contract name is the more immediate but ultimately less important need.

3. Planning on coming in on the 11th and staying thru Nov 1 (I think this might mean I need to do my own reservation???)

Peach, if we get a group contract (big IF) for the Oct 4-18, 2020 window, you would need to make a reservation in our block from your arrival date Oct 11 up through the 18th. Then you would need to make an additional reservation at the same level that shows arriving on Oct 18 and leaving Nov 1 on your own or with a TA of your choice as an individual (but our group contract cannot carry that far).

Let me add at this point that a group contract offer from Disney is NOT A GIVEN. In that case we have to use a Plan B approach which is more work for everybody involved but it can still be done. But we will know within a month so let's presume we will have a contract block to work with.

i have a question. Do you know when we will need to know when 1) We are going to attend the meet and 2) when we need to make reservations? Right now we are not planning on the Oct 2020 Dismeet at the fort, but it is a long ways away and our minds will change a LOT before then.

We will know within a few weeks, Kris, when/if we get a contract. If we do, then the booking window will open soon after (based on the dates on the contract). When the TA says we can start booking then, we can make the reservation through them (they have a form to use). At a date specified in the contract, the group block will close and no new reservation can be made in the block. So you can book as long as the TA is taking the reservations and there are sites available in our block.

If we fill up then people will have to book on their own.

Bama Ed

PS - good questions and comments. Keep them coming! ::yes::

Last edited:
I'm detecting a definite lean toward Full, tripleb. Thing is, what if they assign us to 2100? I'm not as familiar with it since it converted back versus the other four Full loops.

Bama Ed

PS - good questions and comments. Keep them coming! ::yes::

Bama Ed, here's a video of loop 2100 set up for FHU. It looks like it would do just fine, there are a few sites that are rather "short".

Ok,

So number 1: PAHunter and the Posse Do Disney 2020 !!
Number 2: We are about 66 feet overall, but would rather a Premium, but we could shoehorn in to a FHU if need be, after all have you seen the bull bar on the front.
Number 3: That time frame works.

PS, Bame_Ed, we can probably save you money, the aliner should fit on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter