February 2018 Resort Booking Strategy, WDW

Seattlehasnodisney

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am new to the boards here but stumbled upon this site and it looks like a great place for information and resources.

My wife and I (no kids) are planning a visit to Walt Disney World in late Jan/early Feb 2018. It looks like hotels just went on sale for 2018 a few days ago. We are thinking likely a moderate resort, packaging park-hopper tickets and we would like to get the dining plan if it is included in some type of bundled discounted package. At full price, I am not sure that we would benefit from the dining package.

I am wondering what the best strategy for this time of year is for booking. Do I book now? Do I wait? The resorts appear to be at their normal rack rate pricing right now, but I am guessing I can always call in later if the prices go down and have it adjusted. Does anyone know what types of promos are usually found for this time of year? From what I've read, it's one of the slower times of year. I am assuming they'd be discounting or offering package deals at some point to drive their bookings up but I am guessing that won't happen for a few months.

We are flexible between late Jan and probably the first 2 weeks of Feb. I guess my bottom line questions are these: Do I book now and switch the reservation around to match whatever sale happens in a few months? Does it make more sense to just wait for the sale? Are there particular resorts that always end up with promos that I could secure now and then call later to have my package/rate adjusted?

I apologize in advance if these are newbie questions. Any advice is appreciated.

If you will go regardless of a discount, book within your budget now at a resort that you will be happy with. I, personally, would be focusing on POR or POFQ (though POFQ is typically excluded from discounts) as CSR and CBR are under construction.

If the trip is contingent on a discount, wait until discounts are released.

Also, week of 2/10-2/17 will not be slow. That's Mardi Gras week. It will be packed!

We are flexible between late Jan and probably the first 2 weeks of Feb. I guess my bottom line questions are these: Do I book now and switch the reservation around to match whatever sale happens in a few months? Does it make more sense to just wait for the sale? Are there particular resorts that always end up with promos that I could secure now and then call later to have my package/rate adjusted?

As others have said, book now within your budget if you're going no matter what. That way you have exactly what you want.

Unfortunately, Disney discounts are not a simple adjustment. They are all tied to availability. Even if a discount comes out and your resort is included, it doesn't mean your specific room will be included. You may have to change room type or even resort in order to get the discount. It's not a difficult process, but it's not a simple "please change the price on the package I've already booked."

The past few years, Jan/Feb time frame has had the Stay, Play, and Dine discount. No one quite knows what the formula is, but it is cheaper than rack rate. There should also be some room discounts somewhere in the weeks you're wanting to go.

If you will go regardless of a discount, book within your budget now at a resort that you will be happy with. I, personally, would be focusing on POR or POFQ (though POFQ is typically excluded from discounts) as CSR and CBR are under construction.

If the trip is contingent on a discount, wait until discounts are released.

This trip is definitely not contingent on a discount.... but a discount would totally sway which week we choose. I get your point though, I guess it doesn't hurt to have a booking now for what we want and later we can evaluate and switch if some promotion becomes available. haha, it took me a minute to understand the abbreviations for the resorts but I got them, thanks for the advice...I think we are probably considering POR the most at this point.

As others have said, book now within your budget if you're going no matter what. That way you have exactly what you want.

Unfortunately, Disney discounts are not a simple adjustment. They are all tied to availability. Even if a discount comes out and your resort is included, it doesn't mean your specific room will be included. You may have to change room type or even resort in order to get the discount. It's not a difficult process, but it's not a simple "please change the price on the package I've already booked."

The past few years, Jan/Feb time frame has had the Stay, Play, and Dine discount. No one quite knows what the formula is, but it is cheaper than rack rate. There should also be some room discounts somewhere in the weeks you're wanting to go.

Thanks for the post. I get what you are saying. We would probably let what the sale is guide our exact dates and resort/room type choice. We'd be flexible about switching, but I understand what you mean that the room we select now may not be what is part of the sale.

Again, I appreciate the response

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter