Feb 13th discussion re: attractions for various age ranges

Angel Ariel

DIS Veteran
I'm watching the discussion from 2/13 right now, and I want to add a point to this discussion about the age range targets for the rides at Disney (and possibilities for expansion, etc). When you're having these discussions as a team, please keep in mind the accessibility of attractions and include that in the narrative.

As a parent of a tween who has disabilities - part of what we LOVE about Disney Parks is the wide variety of attraction types she's able to experience, and how accessible they are. She loves "little kid" rides like Tea Cups, the classic dark rides, etc - but she is also a thrill seeker who loves rides like Mission:Breakout/TOT, Cosmic Rewind, Space Mountain (DLR version, where you can do 2-wide in a car). While I have no doubt she'll love TRON, she will need the accessible car in order to ride it. Even if a "thrill ride" park is built - I *really* hope Disney continues to put accessibility at the forefront of what they do. We visited Universal Hollywood a few weeks ago - her first time at universal - and unfortunately we were not surprised that rides were significantly less accessible for her there than anywhere at Disney. The narrative isn't just about building for families vs for adults/thrill seekers - but should also include accessibility - for both young kids with disabilities as well as tweens/teens/young adults/adults with disabilities!

Re: MarioKart being a good example of storytelling - I would say no. It's a game, and the mechanics of it were spotty. I love MarioKart games, as does DH, but we rode it twice and both times we each came away feeling very meh about it. The queue was amazing, but the ride didn't live up to the promise of the queue.

It's also a great example of a lack of accessibility. Those helmets are heavy and difficult for people with sensory processing or certain physical disabilities. Our tween wasn't able to wear the helmet, so she basically missed out on the full ride experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter