• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fear of heights and Skyliner

If the Skyliner didn't keep stopping unexpectedly over and over again each trip, I'd have been fine on it last August, even with the accelerated landings. Those landings make it look like you are going to crash into the gondola ahead of you in the station. They were frequently shut down and useless for a good part of our trip, as any wind/storm/lightning in that huge area will shut it all down.

My claustrophobia didn't kick in, but my fear of heights certainly did. I suggest trying it once, and have backup plans if you hate it. Try the shortest run first - I think that's the AoA/PC to CBR run.

My claustrophobia didn't kick in, but my fear of heights certainly did. I suggest trying it once, and have backup plans if you hate it. Try the shortest run first - I think that's the AoA/PC to CBR run.

Just a caution, that line goes right over the lake there, maybe triggering it’s own problems. The CBR to Studios isn’t long & is pretty much a straight shot. And Riviera to CBR is even shorter. If the OP has time to kill, they could take a bus to CBR & then ride to Studios. If they don’t like it, they can take the boat or walk back to Beach Club.

Just a caution, that line goes right over the lake there, maybe triggering it’s own problems. The CBR to Studios isn’t long & is pretty much a straight shot. And Riviera to CBR is even shorter. If the OP has time to kill, they could take a bus to CBR & then ride to Studios. If they don’t like it, they can take the boat or walk back to Beach Club.

Except those routes stopped an awful lot when we were there in August - and I actually liked being over the water, as an impact would be softer (yeah I think like that - downside is the doors would have to be pried open as the gondola sinks...)

I don't have a fear specifically of heights...however I have horrible anxiety and worst case scenario everything to death and I don't like the skyliner. But I muscle through bc I would do absolutely nothing if I avoided everything that I had "worst case scenario-ed" about.

My husband and son are afraid of heights specifically. And they have no problem whatsoever with the skyliner. Go figure.

Maybe watch a YouTube video of someone riding it to see if you think you can but it sounds like it would be scary to you. I’m not afraid of heights but when you stop and sway temporarily it can be a little scary. It doesn’t stop me from riding though even though I’m a baby about most rides… I’m afraid of drops though, not heights.

If the Skyliner didn't keep stopping unexpectedly over and over again each trip, I'd have been fine on it

The starts and stops are the CBR to Epcot line. Riviera is a midpoint station and doesn't have a way to pull off the accessible cars, like it does at the other stations. They have to stop the line for some scooters and wheelchairs, if you can't get set up or off with the slow movement through Riviera. CBR to Epcot will always have a ton of starts and stops.

There's a fine line between excitement and fear. I have a fear of heights, but I can get through it by focusing on my breathing. For the Skyliner, I just kept on with deep breaths, relaxing my arms and back, and looked ahead instead of down. After a few minutes, I actually enjoyed it. The views at night are spectacular.

I compare it to Soarin' . I LOVE Soarin, but I do get scared during the scenes that you are approaching a scene and it looks like you're going to hit it. I usually close my eyes for a second, but I've been challenging myself to keep eyes open, and get the full experience.

I didn't think that you could get fear of heights under control - can you?

Since you asked, YES!! I learned from personal experience that phobias are considered the most treatable mental condition a person can have. It is ABSOLUTELY fixable. Cognitive behavioral therapy helped me to overcome a crippling phobia of snakes. It took me about 18 months of dedicated work, which I resisted -doing for many years. I knew what the treatment was -- incremental exposure -- and I didn't want to do it. Then I moved to South Carolina where there are snakes absolutely everywhere, including in my house, and I knew that something had to give. At that point I decided to try the treatment, and it genuinely works.

It's all about your brain and the chemicals it produces in response to stress. You can literally re-train your brain. Try it!! It will change your life in countless ways.

Since you asked, YES!! I learned from personal experience that phobias are considered the most treatable mental condition a person can have. It is ABSOLUTELY fixable. Cognitive behavioral therapy helped me to overcome a crippling phobia of snakes. It took me about 18 months of dedicated work, which I resisted -doing for many years. I knew what the treatment was -- incremental exposure -- and I didn't want to do it. Then I moved to South Carolina where there are snakes absolutely everywhere, including in my house, and I knew that something had to give. At that point I decided to try the treatment, and it genuinely works.

It's all about your brain and the chemicals it produces in response to stress. You can literally re-train your brain. Try it!! It will change your life in countless ways.
Yep. I'm afraid of heights (specifically , falling from a height) but I have to climb ladders for work. I don't like it, but I have coping mechanisms and I get through. I should look into doing CBT for it though. It'd be nice to be able to do more than survive my working conditions 😉

My sister is afraid of heights, but wanted to try the skyliner. We were doing a no-parks trip at boardwalk, so we caught the skyliner at the international gateway to Riviera, and the plan was to visit the resort, then either take a bus to Disney springs, or if she was cool and wanted to get back on, to take the skyliner all the way to Pop.
she didn’t freak out too much, but was DONE when we got to riviera, and was not willing to get back on. We had dinner reservations at Topolino’s later that day, we took the car.

Since I read this thread multiple times leading up to my trip last week, I figured I'd add my two cents now that I've ridden the Skyliner.
I really hate heights in general and was worried about it. But we first tried just going from Art of Animation to Epcot. I loved every second of it and felt very safe. After that we ended up riding all of the routes possible over the course of the week. My dad has a wheelchair, so when we went with him it was a bit different - he could only see out one direction and he hates heights but also liked the ride. They say you can have 6 people with a wheelchair, but there were 4 of us plus him in one car and it was tight. Of course there are some times the Skyliner stops, and there are times when it adjusts a bit or comes to a quick stop when going into a station, but I'd compare it to a gentle ride like Peter Pan in that case.

The starts and stops are the CBR to Epcot line. Riviera is a midpoint station and doesn't have a way to pull off the accessible cars, like it does at the other stations. They have to stop the line for some scooters and wheelchairs, if you can't get set up or off with the slow movement through Riviera. CBR to Epcot will always have a ton of starts and stops.

Oh, I've been on every Skyliner route, and they have all stopped at one time or another, even the ones with the pull-off loops. It's scary, as there's a bit of swing when they stop, yikes!

Oh, I've been on every Skyliner route, and they have all stopped at one time or another, even the ones with the pull-off loops. It's scary, as there's a bit of swing when they stop, yikes!
Yes, that took a bit of getting used to. And if it stopped for a long time, then I'd be anxious... And nearly every time you're coming down to a station, it looks like you're going to hit the one in front of you. It's pretty amazing.

I’m not good with heights - I’ll only ride 7Dwarves coaster at WDW - TOT, EE, RnRC etc are no goes for me…I do Soarin’ with my eyes closed 50% of the time. I’ve ridden the Skyliner a few times and I’m really not a fan…too high, too ‘swingy’, and when it stops mid-flight (which it does from time to time) - even for a few seconds - I really have to fight to not freak out!

First let me say that I'm not trying to belittle the concerns of folks that are afraid of heights or potential motion sickness.

My wife and I rode the Skyliner from DHS to CBR and then on to Epcot a couple of days ago. We didn't think that the hight was all that great except for perhaps the segment going from CBR to Riviera. I will say that our ride slowed down a couple of times while we were in transit but it wasn't a long time. Less than a minute for sure.

We experienced no swaying while aloft and only experienced it at the takeoff and landing at each station. In those cases the movement was along the line of the progress and the tilting of the cabin served to mitigate any feeling of rapid acceleration/deceleration.

All and all, a very smooth, fun ride.

I am afraid of heights and claustrophobic. I rode the skyliner singing loudly, and sometimes screaming, to the great hilarity of the children with us. We sang a song we made up called "Sky Buckets of Death" sung to the tune of Afternoon Delight.

Seriously, it was kind of awful, especially the turning, the swaying, the approach at a stop, and the times it JUST STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. But I survived, and it was a really cool way to travel.

I agree with all the folks that encouraged you to do a short stint first, and not the one that you have to fly at a pole and whip around it to change direction. I had to check my shorts after that one.

I still can't stop laughing about the bus on a string thing😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter