FE Exchange but don't have kids

TinkerbellLuvr7

Tinkerbellluvr7
Hello! I'm traveling in March on the Dream. Someone in my group started an FE list. I keep thinking about doing it as it's my third cruise and I've never done one but I don't have kids I'm traveling with....it's just my mom and I who are going. Do just adults participate or is it typically just families with kids? It looks like there are two staterooms with just adults (in the FE group) but they are grandparents of other family members who are traveling. Any thoughts would be great!!!!

You should do it! My first disney cruise I joined one and it was a combination of both families with babies, older kids, couples and even one singleton adult! :)

Yes, sign up if you want! We've always had adult cabins sign up, including those without ties to other cabins. I have kids (tween to young adult), but find the adults one of the easiest groups to buy/make for.

There were only 3 or 4 families out of 20 SRs for for WBPC FE Group. Go for it!!

Cruising on the Fantasy in 2018 with my husband and was wondering the same thing. We didn't participate in FE on our first cruise, but I thought it sounded like fun.

Hello! I'm traveling in March on the Dream. Someone in my group started an FE list. I keep thinking about doing it as it's my third cruise and I've never done one but I don't have kids I'm traveling with....it's just my mom and I who are going. Do just adults participate or is it typically just families with kids? It looks like there are two staterooms with just adults (in the FE group) but they are grandparents of other family members who are traveling. Any thoughts would be great!!!!
We've participated in Fish Extender exchanges on 3 of our cruises, none of which did we have any young children.

Thanks everyone! I'll probably go ahead and do it. Is it true that the average cost is $3-$5 per person? I'm not crafty at all! I don't own a sewing machine but I do have the advantage of living in Orlando and finding some interesting things here and there!

Thanks everyone! I'll probably go ahead and do it. Is it true that the average cost is $3-$5 per person? I'm not crafty at all! I don't own a sewing machine but I do have the advantage of living in Orlando and finding some interesting things here and there!
The cost of the gifts? That's entirely up to you. Well, at least it was in the Fish Extender groups that I've been involved with. I know there are some groups that had all sorts of random "rules" including price maximum/minimums. I don't participate in those groups.

There are people who spend way more on FE gifts than I do. And others who don't. I just like a gift that has some thought behind it. The best gifts I've gotten were personal recipes for local dishes, and handmade (obviously by the children in the family) bookmarks. I also like the postcards that people give sometimes of their home countries/states.

Totally do it if you want to. I have done it and have only ever traveled as an adults only group. If any group is saying this is for kids or families only they aren't staying true to what FE originally was.

Also there should be no mention of cost ever. What you choose to spend or not spend is on you. I have received gifts where the person probably spent nothing but was amazingly crafty and I still have some of those gifts and use them and then on the other hands I have gotten gifts where people spent a ton on random stuff and it all went in the trash before getting off the boat as I had no use or space for what it was or unfortunately it wasn't something I could actually take off the ship. Give what you want and feel comfortable with.

We've done fish extenders as child-free adults. That said, I'd never sign up for a Fish Extender that didn't offer an adult-only group option. When we participated in one with families, we got a lot of childish junk (bouncy balls, tops, etc.) and candy, to be frank. It felt like some of the families never bothered to look at who was listed, even though it was clearly marked that we were two adults. When we've done an adult-only group it's been a great experience.

If your cruise group doesn't have an adult-only group started, just ask if they are willing to create one. A recent group had never done it before, but after I suggested it there was enough interest to fill two groups of 12 cabins each, so it worked out well.

I just got off the Dream last week and we were a 2 adult cabin no kids, but our group was a mix of families and couples. We received so many nice things that were home made or from the givers' home country. Of course there were some Disney character things but overall I was very pleased. I did a combo of crafts and store bought items and we received a combo. I stayed pretty close to the $3 range in what I gave. I had read we would receive cups, glow sticks and candy but we barely got any candy and none of the other items that people complain about, but apparently that varies widely. I will definitely do it again, but next time I guess I'll take my kids on the cruise :P

Im planning on a Med Cruise in 2018 . Im a solo traveller and I will be joining a FE group. Honestly I dont care what people think, why should I not join just cos I am a solo. To me its all part of the cruising experience. Join the group if its something you would enjoy participating in :)

Thanks everyone! As far as I know, my group isn't doing an adults only exchange and its mostly families signed up. When I asked my mom about it she didn't seem too interested and said to wait until I cruise with kids in my group and to save the money and put it toward another cruise or trip :) Thanks for your help!

We'll be participating for our Halloween cruise in 2018 and we are two adult sister, youngest will be celebrating her 30th birthday! I just think it's another way to bring a little bit of magic and excitement to the trip so I'm quite excited to take part (hence looking through all the FE pages!)

I think if you want to do it than do it and enjoy it . Part of the Fish Extender process is the excitement of the pre planning your gifts . Also , it gives my family a chance to walk around different parts of the ship like a scavenger hunt to find all the rooms . I think it is an added bonus to a Disney Cruise . On my last cruise we received some nifty and thought out items . It was fun to unpack when you get home . So it makes the vacation a little longer for me

All our Disney cruises have been "child-free" and on each one we've had no problems with doing FE's with families ... it's a lot of fun!

DH and I participated in 4 groups last cruise........no kids. This next cruise we will have DS19 with us. We are definitely participating in the FE group.
IMHO FEs and Disney are for the kid in us all, no matter the age.

I have organized local candy/snack exchanges that had mostly adults but also families with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter