• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'FD' announced for the summer months....

Im not debating the wisdom from the Disney end on free dining...

They crank the room and ticket prices in the packages each year...sometimes more than once...and funnel people into smaller blocks/more restrictions each time...

What I question is why people don't do some simple e-research to see what's happening (or check their visa statements) but instead decry and mourn the loss of availability/booking Windows...
...that I don't get.

Im not debating the wisdom from the Disney end on free dining...

They crank the room and ticket prices in the packages each year...sometimes more than once...and funnel people into smaller blocks/more restrictions each time...

What I question is why people don't do some simple e-research to see what's happening (or check their visa statements) but instead decry and mourn the loss of availability/booking Windows...
...that I don't get.

I don't know. I do think that a WDW vacation is not a simple plan, under any circumstances. For many, they are trying to research, that is how they know about promotions, but unfortunately, once they find out about them, it may be too late. Or they are so used to booking theme park vacations, and don't know that this one is a different animal from the experiences that they already have had. Whatever the issue, I think that these people have a bottom line too, and without the discount they fall below it. When you consider the cost of dining, especiall character meals, and then you figure that the families with youngsters may need that FD promo to come into their sweet spot if they want to hit those expensive dinners, it may be a real let down that they missed the window.

I know a coworker, brand new to our office, was listening to my DD and I talk about my trip in December. SHe wanted to book for her kids, and so we discussed the dates that worked for her, when her youngest woudl turn three, and then I jumped in. A little research and she had a discount at a resort that held 5, her little one will still be 2 when they travel, because we knew that would save a lot in regards to tix and dining. Moving a tip a month made a huge difference in terms of price, but if someone is not pointing that out, she could have missed that. We priced out the DDP vs DxDDP and gave her the numbers. SHe was off to the races! But she had help.

It's complicated for novices...it's "easy" to book...but there are a variety of ways to attack it.

The rate charts are so convoluted now as compared to before...where the "seasons" changed maybe six times a year...
Dining is all screwed up due to the dining plan and price adjustments that tailed it.

It really shouldn't be as tough as it is to see the difference in promotions...but that's how they get you.

I mean...you brought up the point of the cost of dining and the character meals...which is a big one. But do people who are noobies really account for the 20% gratuities on a $100 breakfast in their head? Much more if you're eating at other times a day. That was a jerk increase that got little grief at the time and is significant.

People seem to worry more about when their luggage is coming off magical express and "how magical is POR?" (Nonsense) on places like the Dis when they could be using it to save real money with informed choices in the long run. That's better for everyone.

People seem to worry more about when their luggage is coming off magical express and "how magical is POR?" (Nonsense) on places like the Dis when they could be using it to save real money with informed choices in the long run. That's better for everyone.

People who come to a board like this aren't "tourists" they're fanatics of one shade or another. Which too often means that logic goes out the window in favor of "magic."

It's complicated for novices...it's "easy" to book...but there are a variety of ways to attack it.

The rate charts are so convoluted now as compared to before...where the "seasons" changed maybe six times a year...
Dining is all screwed up due to the dining plan and price adjustments that tailed it.

It really shouldn't be as tough as it is to see the difference in promotions...but that's how they get you.

I mean...you brought up the point of the cost of dining and the character meals...which is a big one. But do people who are noobies really account for the 20% gratuities on a $100 breakfast in their head? Much more if you're eating at other times a day. That was a jerk increase that got little grief at the time and is significant.

The truth about those gratuities? I bet they do not care. They leave what they leave and call it a day.

I know what the tips are and consider them a part of travel. The last trip we got socked with horrific storms ( I am not a trooper, I will not tour in a thunderstorm) and heat and humidity that would choke a horse. I had booke a slew of character meals and planned on canceling the ones that the girls would think were redundant. Well I was glad I kept them all and gladly paid the tips because these meals ensure they met thei favorite characters. Nola could never have stood in the lines. WIth that said, I think that there is a group of guests who would rather chew glass and die weather tham leave 20% at a buffet. So bottom line, no matter what we read here, those increased gratuites mean nothing to a lot of people unless their have 6 or more in their group.

People who come to a board like this aren't "tourists" they're fanatics of one shade or another. Which too often means that logic goes out the window in favor of "magic."
Guilty as charged. Fortunately my DH is a DIsney Fan but not a Fanatic. he is my "logic" LOL!

Inmates paying to run the asylum.

They cost us all a lot of money with the hokie "magic" and "welcome home" nonsense.

The truth about those gratuities? I bet they do not care. They leave what they leave and call it a day.

I know what the tips are and consider them a part of travel. The last trip we got socked with horrific storms ( I am not a trooper, I will not tour in a thunderstorm) and heat and humidity that would choke a horse. I had booke a slew of character meals and planned on canceling the ones that the girls would think were redundant. Well I was glad I kept them all and gladly paid the tips because these meals ensure they met thei favorite characters. Nola could never have stood in the lines. WIth that said, I think that there is a group of guests who would rather chew glass and die weather tham leave 20% at a buffet. So bottom line, no matter what we read here, those increased gratuites mean nothing to a lot of people unless their have 6 or more in their group.

If that's the case - personally I don't know anyone that does it - it's horrifying.

You punish the wrong people doing that.

The prices are outrageous...but are people under the impression that Disney "shares the pot" with the rank and file employees?

That's why they took the Grat out of the dining plan in the first place (RIDICULOUS stated reasons aside)...because they don't want the kids "allowances" being too big and guaranteed.

If that's the case - personally I don't know anyone that does it - it's horrifying.

You punish the wrong people doing that.

The prices are outrageous...but are people under the impression that Disney "shares the pot" with the rank and file employees?

That's why they took the Grat out of the dining plan in the first place (RIDICULOUS stated reasons aside)...because they don't want the kids "allowances" being too big and guaranteed.

If you do not know people who do this....some of your friends are lying. People do this all the time, and to be honest, servers who work in vacation destinations are more susceptible because they will never see the guest again.

I do not know if you remember the threads that occurred during the time when the DDP included the tip..... They were outrageous! A lot of people moaning and groaning about the money their servers would make, always thinking that if the tip was reduced the price of the plan would be reduced. It was pitiful and as a woman who supported her family by waiting tables, and whose son was supporting his as a server, I was beyond furious every time I would read those posts. But bottom line..... Do not kid youself...... People tip what they want, and they will never admit if they tip less than the acceptable amount. So when you try to use the increase in gratuity when folks use the plan? Nonsense. If the amount "owed" does not fit into the guest budget, guess what is reduced? Yep. The tip. THe Artie's that are stuck are the ones with 6, and pay attention....there used to be posts asking how to separate to avoid the auto gratuites.

You know what...I'm gonna have to reach out to some old contacts still in the area and see what they know about it.

I don't doubt it happens. If it's flagrant though I'm gonna have to troll any hint of it though - it's my patriotic dutypirate:

As far as my frequent and decent sized network of fellow travelers - they're mostly DVC and not dining plan users...
...though a few I know would DEFINITELY think about trying it.

Come to think of it...I have seen a lot of complaints from people regarding service during the periods...
Gee...wonder why?

Last edited:
But it really doesn't save you much if anything. That's what I don't get about this discount. Many times the 15-30% room discount is better than the free dining discount.
It all depends on how you figure your "Disney math". I went twice with four teenagers at the Value resorts...free food was a very good deal!!

For the majority of ppl Free Dining mathematically works. Not only in the $$$ sense but in convenience and flexabilty. I've priced out 25%-30% rooms without FD and rooms with. The best deal is a lower tier moderate resort, family of 4 for 5-7 days. The savings are closer to a 35-40% off. Or take a 30% off deluxe add out of pocket a budget of $1000 for 4 ppl and compare. in the end the savings is there. yes tix prices go up....yes room rates go up....yes its a rack rate room with a discount......just DO THE MATH!

It can work for some. I think some people don't do a true comparison. If you weren't going to get hoppers, and weren't going to get a preferred room before the FD promotion, adding those elements lessens the discount amount. So for a family of 4, adding PH's will cost around $200. Giving up a room only discount and paying rack rate for a preferred room could cost an additional $50-75/night. So on a 6 night vacation, you are looking at an increase in $500 to get the discount. Now, if the DDP costs $1000 for those 6 days, then you are still saving $500 in a way. Now, if you budgeted $500 to eat originally, then you are at the same point financially. However, you are going to have a much better dining experience (if you value character interactions).

It can work for some. I think some people don't do a true comparison. If you weren't going to get hoppers, and weren't going to get a preferred room before the FD promotion, adding those elements lessens the discount amount. So for a family of 4, adding PH's will cost around $200. Giving up a room only discount and paying rack rate for a preferred room could cost an additional $50-75/night. So on a 6 night vacation, you are looking at an increase in $500 to get the discount. Now, if the DDP costs $1000 for those 6 days, then you are still saving $500 in a way. Now, if you budgeted $500 to eat originally, then you are at the same point financially. However, you are going to have a much better dining experience (if you value character interactions).

Yes, the math is more complex than it first seems. Part of the goal of this program is to get people to "trade up" and buy bigger or more expensive packages than they otherwise would have.

It's a bit like when my wife comes home and tells me how she "saved" $50 by buying this bag... uh no, you spent $100.

I don't think the promotion would be as successful if they promoted it as, buy parkhoppers and pay full price for your room, and we will give you 50% off of the DDP....."free" sounds a lot better :)

I don't think the promotion would be as successful if they promoted it as, buy parkhoppers and pay full price for your room, and we will give you 50% off of the DDP....."free" sounds a lot better :)

I do not care how they "sell" the promotions. I in my numbers and compare both offers. I can tell which one is less expensive. If, for my family, the water parks additions is still less money than if I buy RO, then I am going to get that deal. I hate water parks, and won't go, but my total is less I take that one.

If the RO with whatever I am adding on is less than the FD offer with all the bells and whistles, I take that one. Bottom Line on what I want in my package is all I care about. I do not understand why people don't break it down, but if they really want that preferred room and hoppers, and the price is within ther budget, well???

Ppl do break it down. A lot of ppl will only do deluxe. And the value is not worth it at that price point. Or they are DVC and are anti "free" dining. Either way a discount is a discount regardless if it's a 30% room or free dining. Disney gets enough $$ I'll take some of mine back.

They do! My DD is traveling in July. Now you know the "discount" she may get is minimal at best. I generally travel when there are multiple discounts offered, and I choose the one that gives me the best price.

SHe will take whatever she can get because her dates are written in stone. I will monkey around with the numbers and figure out the best one for me. I can move dates around, she cannot. But I agree...it's all relative. A discount is a discount. It works or it does not.

I do not care how they "sell" the promotions. I in my numbers and compare both offers. I can tell which one is less expensive. If, for my family, the water parks additions is still less money than if I buy RO, then I am going to get that deal. I hate water parks, and won't go, but my total is less I take that one.

If the RO with whatever I am adding on is less than the FD offer with all the bells and whistles, I take that one. Bottom Line on what I want in my package is all I care about. I do not understand why people don't break it down, but if they really want that preferred room and hoppers, and the price is within ther budget, well???

You are correct. I just gave one scenario. There are other scenarios where FD could work. If you are already doing PH's and in a preferred room, it would make total sense to give up a $300 RO discount to get the $1000 DDP for free. You would be saving about $200 (this assumes that you were budgeting $500 for food, so since you no longer have to purchase food, you are using $300 instead to pay the extra for the room, saving $200). I don't know anyone who wouldn't want to save $200!

I think some people look at the above scenario and figure that they are saving $700 ($1000-$300). That's really all I was pointing out. But that DDP is way more food and arguably a better experience than you would get out of that imaginary $500 food budget. So that factors in as well.

Circling back, you are correct, it can be a good deal for some.

lets take away the the $500 budget for 4 cuz that's only = to $20 per person a day. Which is just silly. If you go deluxe and save $500 on 30% off you still would have to add $1000 for food . Savings $500. So according to your math the savings is $700 instead of 200. And now you have an unlimited number of dining options. But if your staying deluxe saving 500 you can only budget $40 pp a day. Which is better??

Everyone budgets differently. We are a family of 5 (kids are 7,3, and 1), and $500 is exactly what we budget. Obviously the 1 and 3 year old don't eat much, so that budget works for us. If you are already budgeting $1000 for food, then of course the deal is even better. The deal is even better if you were already planning on eating at $120 breakfast buffets before the DDP (which our family obviously isn't at our budget). Like I said, there are scenarios that make the FD a great deal. I was just pointing out that those "reaching" for the deal may not be getting what they think.

lets take away the the $500 budget for 4 cuz that's only = to $20 per person a day. Which is just silly. If you go deluxe and save $500 on 30% off you still would have to add $1000 for food . Savings $500. So according to your math the savings is $700 instead of 200. And now you have an unlimited number of dining options. But if your staying deluxe saving 500 you can only budget $40 pp a day. Which is better??

This is why you really need to know how your family will want to eat and then use realistic numbers t budget. I think that it is also important to break down whatever package you are looking at into individual components to be able to ascertain which is the better "sale".

My family likes dining. We do, and I know it. So for us, I need to look at the costs of the resorts I am considering, the total after discounts for RO vs FD, and than I also need to factor in any additional dining spending we will have so I can determine if DxDDP is appropriate. S far it has only been cost effective one time, so it is a good thing for me to include that cost as well. Honestly, we use the DDP, so I don't have to consider the kind of comparison you have, but we have priced with and without, and for us, the plan is a savings.

There are people who don't dine the way we do, and for them, 40 per day would probably be fine. The ADR's looming over them would send them diving out of ToT! LOL!

I was just reading about the free dining booking issues with it being available online hours before the phone lines open. Is this how the resort discounts generally work? Are they typically available online first? And are they announced in advance, or do you just find out about them when they become available?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter