FCC License for 2 -way Radios

lizzie64

<font color=purple>Clay is my man!<br><font color=
Hello all,

Well we leave in 16 days and are looking for 2 way radios. I see there are 2 and 5 mile range offered.

Which do you need a license for and what is the procedure for the license.

Anyone have the disney 2-way radios? How do they work?

The good news is you don't need a license to operate them! I assume you are talking about the motorolas & such? I have never heard of a license being required for the use of them. I was considering getting the disney 2-ways, but my GF & I don't split up enough to use them frequently.

Originally posted by JoNo
The good news is you don't need a license to operate them! I assume you are talking about the motorolas & such? I have never heard of a license being required for the use of them. I was considering getting the disney 2-ways, but my GF & I don't split up enough to use them frequently.

I've seen some of the motorolas that say they require a license. Mostly the 5 mile range ones.
That's why I asked.

lizzie64,

I have been wondering this myself. We have the Motorola T6250 radios and they state that it operates on GMRS frequencies and needs an FCC license. If the radio you have only uses the FRS frequencies you do not need a license. I pulled up the FCC website and I think all you have to do is fill out a form or two and pay $65, but I have not done this yet. I need to soon because we leave in 40 days. Maybe someone who has done this will post a reply. I have read where some people say they just don't bother getting a license and use the radios anyway.

Just a little side note. We had the old FRS frequency radios and trying to use them at WDW was a nightmare. There are so many people out there with the radios that it is hard to have a conversation wtih anyone. We bought the newer ones with the GMRS frequency because they are suppose to be better, but we will see. Usually we rely on our cell phones.
LeiLani

My karate instructor and I were just discussing this tonight... He told me that there are new radios out there. They are GPS and radios all in one! How cool! They are 5 miler's, so you need a license. $65! For a license! Ouch! But I'd probably pay it just to use these new contraptions. :smooth: We used Motorola 2 milers and they just didn't make the grade. What they did make was a lot of squelching and interference.

$65 for an FCC license?! Holy moly!! Yes, this is for the 5 mile 2-way radios.

If you buy the 2 mile radios with the security codes that should cut down on the interference overbleed considerably.

Mark

Thanks everyone for your input.

We have 2 old cobras that we used 2 years ago and worked ok. I just saw the Disney Motorola ones on sale. They have the 14 channels and all the subcodes, so I decided to pick them up. Hopefully, they'll be ok.

Thanks again,
Liz

Just an FYI, the $65 license is not a permanent license either. I forget how long it is good for, seems to me it wasn't all that long, maybe 2 years????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter