Favorite thing to do in Nassau? Also - PALO question

Mousemommy1

DIS Veteran
We are doing our 1st Disney cruise in April 2016 (a 4 night on the Dream). It's actually our 1st cruise ever!

I know that a lot of people poo-poo Nassau, but I would like for my family to experience it for ourselves.

So, beach? Atlantis? Dolphin adventures?

What are your favorite excursions in Nassau?

Also, will it be impossible for DH and I to get a PALO reservation for our "at sea" day, will it be packed?

My favorite excursion in Nassau is the Graycliff chocolate tour.

Not impossible. When your booking date arrives, try and book Palo then. If there is no availability, try again the afternoon your board the ship. There will be a location notated in the first day Navigator on where to go for Palo reservations. Some are held back for people to book on board.

My favorite excursion in Nassau is the Graycliff chocolate tour.

Not impossible. When your booking date arrives, try and book Palo then. If there is no availability, try again the afternoon your board the ship. There will be a location notated in the first day Navigator on where to go for Palo reservations. Some are held back for people to book on board.
Ohhhh, I bet our girls would love a chocolate tour, LOL!!! Is Graycliff the one with the mansion? Or am I thinking of something else?

Ohhhh, I bet our girls would love a chocolate tour, LOL!!! Is Graycliff the one with the mansion? Or am I thinking of something else?

Same. But the Bahamas version of a mansion is more than a little bit different from our version of a mansion. It's a small tropical island that gets hit with weather. And isn't a wealthy country. Just keep that in mind.

Doing the tour is fun. In the future I'd skip the tour and just take a cab there and buy some boxes of the chocolates THEY made then go back to the ship.

So so the tour now, and take the cab next time you're there. :) and so budget for buying some of their chocolates this time as well. Soooo good.

We loved the dolphin excursion in Nassau and enjoyed walking around Atlantis on our first DCL cruise. If you haven't been before, you might want to check out a few shops near the port too, just to get the experience. (Be warned, they're mostly touristy with cheap souvenirs but still fun!) I stay on the boat at Nassau now, but I definitely agree you should try it for yourself to learn what you enjoy so you'll know for next time - and there will be a next time. :) Have a great cruise!

We enjoyed the Sea Lion experience at Blue Lagoon. We had done dolphins in a few places, but very few offer Sea Lions. Not something we do every time we are in Nassau but a fun thing to do. (After the Sea Lion experience, you can hang out at Blue Lagoon -- it's a nice beach area.)

My family enjoyed Nassau. We went on the island tour that stops at the Forts and had a great time. In a few weeks we are going to do a harbor tour

We enjoyed the Sea Lion experience at Blue Lagoon. We had done dolphins in a few places, but very few offer Sea Lions. Not something we do every time we are in Nassau but a fun thing to do. (After the Sea Lion experience, you can hang out at Blue Lagoon -- it's a nice beach area.)
Sea lions! That's definitely different! Sounds very interesting :)

We didn't take a tour. Me, my husband and my 9 month old daughter took a horse-drawn carriage around downtown. It was super cheap, and a great way to see downtown before committing to anything.
We also ventured into the local market area- probably a 3 minute walk from the port- to get souvenirs.
If you have a little girl, you might think about getting her hair braided- there are lots of ladies that will braid hair right by the port. I remember that night at dinner, it seemed like every table had someone with braids! :)
Good luck, Nassau is beautiful!

We did the glass bottom boat tour. We really enjoyed it. The boat ride to the glass bottom boat was enjoyable in itself. I did not like walking around the port as I was alone with my 2 sons and was offered to buy drugs way to many times for my comfort so we headed back to the ship.

Blue Lagoon is AWESOME. You can swim with the dolphins or do a dolphin or sea loin interaction. Afterwards you can stay and swim on their private beach if you would like. If you are one of the first groups, you will still have time to go back to the ship and take a quick shower and do some shopping afterwards. We are getting ready to go to Nassau for the four time and will only get off the ship to grab a couple t-shirts just to say we were there and heading back to the ship to enjoy it while everyone else is doing their excursions.

If you have a little girl, you might think about getting her hair braided

As far as this goes, I would recommend taking your on comb if your going to do this. When we were watching a group of girls having this done, the lady used the same comb on EVERYONE! Can we say high risk of getting head lice? YUCK

Ok, the Blue Lagoon looks wonderful!!

Do you have to do an animal encounter to go there, or is there an option to just go there?

And is this an excursion that you can book through DCL?

I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

Ok, the Blue Lagoon looks wonderful!!

Do you have to do an animal encounter to go there, or is there an option to just go there?

And is this an excursion that you can book through DCL?

I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

Yes, you can but just a beach day at Blue Lagoon, and this is available through Disney.

As far as this goes, I would recommend taking your on comb if your going to do this. When we were watching a group of girls having this done, the lady used the same comb on EVERYONE! Can we say high risk of getting head lice? YUCK

Others have suggested, in past threads, just getting the braids done on the ship.

Although with all the cruises I have done I have never been to Nassau, however in November while on the Disney Dream one of our port stops is Nassau. I'm looking forward to scuba diving in Nassau.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter