Favorite Performer onboard

Robin"D";51242692 said:
We were there for that show....."VERY FUNNY" how Mike did that.

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2
This is still an ongoing joke in our house!!! :lmao: We keep wondering how he got the picture, if Guy was in on the joke or if he didn't realize what the picture would be used for this.

I have to give Mike Super props, I absolutely hate magic acts and have seen some bad ones over the years, but I found myself enjoying his show. Not jumping up and down great, but enjoying it.

Also saw him off the ship once with his family, and he seemed like a super nice guy and was very kind to the fans that came up to him when he was in family mode.

cgolf
I know what you mean, I don't hate magic shows, but I have seen some really bad ones that make me go in sceptical, but I enjoyed Mike Super. My son chatted with him quite a bit, sometimes with his family and I agree he was "Super" nice. :rotfl:

I forgot one, also on another cruise line was Elliot Maxx. He's kind of like John Charles but we found him much funnier. He also was extremely nice, chatting with him and his wife.

We enjoy John Charles more than any other act.

We second that! We have seen him 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed him each time.

He is able to point out the humor in music. Like America's Horse With No Name.
I never realized ho dumb that song was! And he has gotten a standing ovation each time.

Fingers crossed that he will be on the WBPC :goodvibes

John Charles' wife is Hawaiian and she joined him on the first DCL Hawaiian cruise and performed the hula as he sang. He looked like he could eat her up. Very touching to see a long-time-married couple so happy together.

She was also with him on the second Hawaii cruise, also. She injured herself (I think she sprained her ankle, or something) and we saw him being given priority disembarkment the last morning.

Although it has been many cruises since we have last seen him, we always thought that Daryl Lockhart, who played at Sessions on the Magic and Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder, was the absolute best pianist that we have encountered in our nearly 20 DCL cruises. In fact, one of the things we miss about the new ships is that there isn't that classic piano bar club that emphasizes talents like Daryl's, it's all hit or miss and not regularly scheduled on the new ships.

Daryl Lockhart is a true gem, a singer-songwriter, and we always have enjoyed him.

LOVE Buckets-n-Boards!!! We were fortunate to have them on our past two Fantasy cruises...and we caught every show that they did!

We also loved Alfred & Seymour!

Alfred & Seymour definitely seem to be polarizing. I liked them, but very nearly could have had quite a different opinion. I was called up on stage by them as part of their "race doesn't matter" routine, which started out with them basically making fun of how white I am (I've got a Scandinavian background, and was dressed rather preppy the night in question). But when they got to the point of asking what I did for a living, and I told them I was in the Air Force (and this always embarasses me, but it got a round of applause from the crowd), they became very deferential and stopped making fun of me. I don't mind playing along with a performer and being part of the act, as long as the act doesn't involve humiliating me. I really felt they were going down that road until the military thing stopped them from going any further.

This is as good as a place as any ... Is John Charles still performing on DCL? It's been at least 5 years since I've seen him - maybe I'm on the wrong cruises.

Way (way waaaay) back in the beginning of DCL when Diversions was the Dueling Piano bar the "regular" performer was really good (don't remember his name).

Buckets and Boards is a must!!!!!!!!!! BOO-YAH! They are a great group. Their families are just as great :rockband: They are in Branson, MO now and should be back on the ship this fall

This is as good as a place as any ... Is John Charles still performing on DCL? It's been at least 5 years since I've seen him - maybe I'm on the wrong cruises.

Way (way waaaay) back in the beginning of DCL when Diversions was the Dueling Piano bar the "regular" performer was really good (don't remember his name).

I know he was on our Hawaii cruise. And he's recently been on an Alaskan cruise, but don't know if he's there for the season or just a few.

We were on a recent Alaskan cruise. John Charles was on board, who was ok. Shawn Farquhar, the magician was very good, although several of his tricks were pretty obvious. My favorite was Kevin Johnson a ventriloquist who was great! We ran into him at a bar in Skagway and he was a hoot. We saw Magic Dave last year and he was fantastic. We have also enjoyed Knight Magic, the magic of Kyle and Mistie. I liked Mistie better than Kyle! :smokin:

Jason Bishop
He is the most amazing magician!
I have to agree with you on him being my favorite, but for a totally different reason than his actual show. My husband and I were trying to adopt from China when we were completely exhausted from the wait of over 4 years. My parents took us on our first cruise which happened to be the transatlantic cruise back in 2010. My husband had been asking me to adopt from foster care and I would not do it because I kept saying that I could not handle the baggage that the children would come with. My dad and DH went back to the cabin early the night he was performing, but my mom and I decided to go to the show. He mentioned that he learned magic while in foster care and all he wanted was a family to love him. I ran out crying and my mom followed me. I told her I was scared to adopt from foster care, but that I could love any child. I went back to the cabin and told my DH I was ready to start the process. Less than 7 months later we were matched with our 2 wonderful children.

About 2 years ago we were taking these wonderful children on a cruise and I found out he was going to be performing on it. I sent him a message telling him about the story and he met with me and the kids on the cruise. That happened to be the last cruise I went on with my dad as he passed away a few months later. Jason had used my mom on stage as part of his act and my dad enjoyed it immensely.

So needless to say, he holds a very special spot in my heart as I do not think I would have my children without his act and him being so forthcoming during it.

I have to agree with you on him being my favorite, but for a totally different reason than his actual show. My husband and I were trying to adopt from China when we were completely exhausted from the wait of over 4 years. My parents took us on our first cruise which happened to be the transatlantic cruise back in 2010. My husband had been asking me to adopt from foster care and I would not do it because I kept saying that I could not handle the baggage that the children would come with. My dad and DH went back to the cabin early the night he was performing, but my mom and I decided to go to the show. He mentioned that he learned magic while in foster care and all he wanted was a family to love him. I ran out crying and my mom followed me. I told her I was scared to adopt from foster care, but that I could love any child. I went back to the cabin and told my DH I was ready to start the process. Less than 7 months later we were matched with our 2 wonderful children.

About 2 years ago we were taking these wonderful children on a cruise and I found out he was going to be performing on it. I sent him a message telling him about the story and he met with me and the kids on the cruise. That happened to be the last cruise I went on with my dad as he passed away a few months later. Jason had used my mom on stage as part of his act and my dad enjoyed it immensely.

So needless to say, he holds a very special spot in my heart as I do not think I would have my children without his act and him being so forthcoming during it.

I agree, that post is the best. Thank you for sharing your story with us. :flower3:

Best wishes to you and your family! What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us. We've seen him twice (once on a cruise and once in a show in California) and I remember him talking about foster care. We spent some time talking to him and Kim after the show in California and he was very down to earth.

This is as good as a place as any ... Is John Charles still performing on DCL? It's been at least 5 years since I've seen him - maybe I'm on the wrong cruises. Way (way waaaay) back in the beginning of DCL when Diversions was the Dueling Piano bar the "regular" performer was really good (don't remember his name).
he is still on. I keep in touch with him through Facebook

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter