• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Non-Disney Accommodations?

prgal0715

Disney Princess-in-Training
Disneyland pros, I need your help! I went to DLR for the first time in many years last December and now I'm hooked. I wasn't planning to return until this coming summer, but news of Soarin' Over California's limited-time run made me rethink that strategy. I'm planning for April 10-15 and, since this is more last minute than typical for me, I need to stay offsite. But my question is ... where?!? There are so many choices, it's honestly overwhelming. I'd like to be close to the park entrance and would be open to walking 1/2 a mile or so. I have tentatively booked Hotel Lulu but the reviews are mixed and now I'm scared. Help!

I usually stay at the Four Points due to it's decent price and my Marriott status but some rooms do get freeway noise. The Hyatt House would probably be my most recommended right now as it has free breakfast, good sized rooms of decent quality and is right next to Hotel Lulu. The Element is on my to-do list as it is close and seems to have the best free breakfast in the area right now.

If you're comfortable with the distance of Hotel Lulu, then you probably don't need to pay the premium to stay someplace like the Courtyard.

I usually stay at the Four Points due to it's decent price and my Marriott status but some rooms do get freeway noise. The Hyatt House would probably be my most recommended right now as it has free breakfast, good sized rooms of decent quality and is right next to Hotel Lulu. The Element is on my to-do list as it is close and seems to have the best free breakfast in the area right now.

If you're comfortable with the distance of Hotel Lulu, then you probably don't need to pay the premium to stay someplace like the Courtyard.
I'm going to take a look at Hyatt House, thank you!

Disneyland pros, I need your help! I went to DLR for the first time in many years last December and now I'm hooked. I wasn't planning to return until this coming summer, but news of Soarin' Over California's limited-time run made me rethink that strategy. I'm planning for April 10-15 and, since this is more last minute than typical for me, I need to stay offsite. But my question is ... where?!? There are so many choices, it's honestly overwhelming. I'd like to be close to the park entrance and would be open to walking 1/2 a mile or so. I have tentatively booked Hotel Lulu but the reviews are mixed and now I'm scared. Help!

I'm staying at Lulu next week (Feb 20-25) and will be happy to report back.

Honestly? Having looked at Trip Advisor for many of the places I was considering, they are ALL mixed - to varying degrees, but I did not see any that were 100% glowing. (Even the JW and the Westin had some not stellar reviews. I've traveled enough that two people can stay at the same place at the same time and have very different experiences, so unless something is universally horrible I will look at reviews but not stake my life on them.

Lots of amazing Airbnbs in Santa Clara, Orange and Fullerton that are a 10 min Uber away. I just can’t do Hotels anymore. For the same price or less I can get a kitchen, laundry room, space to spread out and peace and quiet when not in the parks.

I'm staying at Lulu next week (Feb 20-25) and will be happy to report back.

Honestly? Having looked at Trip Advisor for many of the places I was considering, they are ALL mixed - to varying degrees, but I did not see any that were 100% glowing. (Even the JW and the Westin had some not stellar reviews. I've traveled enough that two people can stay at the same place at the same time and have very different experiences, so unless something is universally horrible I will look at reviews but not stake my life on them.

Reviews will depend on a person's expectations are for a hotel. Disneyland area hotels are overpriced and below average for their brand. An exception may be the Howard Johnson which is nicer than the brand would suggest but even that property doesn't have the free breakfast that is standard with the brand. The same issue exists with the Fairfield so someone familiar with the brand would be surprised the lack of free breakfast but someone like my aunt who is not familiar with hotel brands really likes the hotel for its proximity to the parks.

One complaint I'm seeing about the Westin and JW is their treatment of elites. Both are stingy with upgrades and are disappointing food-wise for elites. If you're Marriott Platinum or above, a standard benefit is being able to choose the full breakfast buffet as an amenity but the Westin seems to force elites into a lackluster lounge breakfast. I'd much rather stay at the Sheraton Grande at Tokyo Disney than either of these two properties even without taking account of the fact that the Sheraton Grande is often only half the price of the Westin and JW.

If you're rating the JW and Westin with the perspective of a world traveler, they are lackluster and treat elites poorly. If you're comparing them to Disneyland area hotels, they're the highest quality you can get.

Some of our favorites are the Hojo, Camelot inn and park vue inn across the street. We also just had a really nice stay at the grand legacy in the Luxury room which is the “hotel” part of the property. The rest of therooms their are motel style.

We have a room tour video and walking videos of both Hyatt house and Lulu on our channel if you want to check it out.

https://youtube.com/c/AnaheimParkTourist
have fun trip planning!!

Reviews will depend on a person's expectations are for a hotel. Disneyland area hotels are overpriced and below average for their brand. An exception may be the Howard Johnson which is nicer than the brand would suggest but even that property doesn't have the free breakfast that is standard with the brand. The same issue exists with the Fairfield so someone familiar with the brand would be surprised the lack of free breakfast but someone like my aunt who is not familiar with hotel brands really likes the hotel for its proximity to the parks.

One complaint I'm seeing about the Westin and JW is their treatment of elites. Both are stingy with upgrades and are disappointing food-wise for elites. If you're Marriott Platinum or above, a standard benefit is being able to choose the full breakfast buffet as an amenity but the Westin seems to force elites into a lackluster lounge breakfast. I'd much rather stay at the Sheraton Grande at Tokyo Disney than either of these two properties even without taking account of the fact that the Sheraton Grande is often only half the price of the Westin and JW.

If you're rating the JW and Westin with the perspective of a world traveler, they are lackluster and treat elites poorly. If you're comparing them to Disneyland area hotels, they're the highest quality you can get.

Yeah. I totally get that.

There are some reviews on Trip Advisor of various Good Neighbor properties I've read where the person says "We weren't greeted warmly" and when I look back at other reviews they've left, they have for example stayed on WDW property where there often IS gushing when you check-in, so even a nice "Hi! Welcome to XXX!" and then going on about check-in would be seen as "not warm". And like when I'm looking at hotels in Europe, if someone is complaining about the size of the room, I look to see where they're from - if they're from the US and are complaining about a small room, I take it with a boulder of salt but if they are European and complaining, I tend to take it much more seriously.

I really like the Hotel Indigo on Katella as a solo traveller - the walk is a bit longer than those on Harbour, but it has a more contemporary feel (and Aveda products, lol) without an insane price tag. Also has free parking so local friends could meet me there and we would walk to the parks together.

Pre COVID I enjoyed the proximity of the Parkvue Inn for my hubby who hates to walk, and of course the HoJo as others have mentioned (esp with kids).

I’m staying at the Radisson BLU for my next solo visit, and will be using Uber to the parks as it isn’t really walking distance. I wanted a hotel with a rooftop bar and a nice pool as its not a Disney-only trip. It all depends on what is most important to you!

Another plus for the park vue inn. It is where I am staying next month, but I haven’t been there since Covid. I hear they cut down on stuff, so we will see.

I really like the Hotel Indigo on Katella as a solo traveller - the walk is a bit longer than those on Harbour, but it has a more contemporary feel (and Aveda products, lol) without an insane price tag. Also has free parking so local friends could meet me there and we would walk to the parks together.

Pre COVID I enjoyed the proximity of the Parkvue Inn for my hubby who hates to walk, and of course the HoJo as others have mentioned (esp with kids).

I’m staying at the Radisson BLU for my next solo visit, and will be using Uber to the parks as it isn’t really walking distance. I wanted a hotel with a rooftop bar and a nice pool as its not a Disney-only trip. It all depends on what is most important to you!
We just stayed at Radisson Blu and loved it!! The rooftop bar was also beautiful and staff were super friendly!

My family’s preference is for onsite at the GCH, but when it’s not in the budget, we always try to stay at Park Vue Inn. It’s super close (right on the crosswalk across the street) and we find it to be clean, with comfortable beds, and fairly updated furnishings. And a pretty decent onsite breakfast that’s included!

Many options. I currently lean toward complementary parking and family owned. Some even give returning quests nice discounts. My two favorites are Castle Inn & Suites and the Alpine Inn. Great staff at both. Short, direct walks, with only one signaled intersection crossing.

If you're used to, and expect, something on the order of Hilton Garden Inn, Residence Inn, something with a nice pool, updated rooms, and granite counters, you are either staying at the Hilton Garden Inn up on Manchester, maybe 10-15 minute walk, or the Home2Suites next door; or you are walking 1/2 -1 mile or so from down south on Harbor.

If you just want a place to sleep and shower, pick one of the ones right across the street. They are motels, so they have outside entrances (they feel safe, though). They are old, but usually well maintained and most update the decor periodically. They are usually quite clean because they have to be, to be competitive with the other close hotels. The least expensive of the crosswalk hotels is almost always Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites, often by $50 or more. They are clean, noisy (like most of the crosswalk ones; bring ear plugs or a white noise machine), beds are quite firm, water pressure pretty dismal. Breakfast is free but a very minimal continental; during the pandemic it's been a grab-n-go with a granola bar, apple and danish. We usually stay there because we don't care about the pool or breakfast; we have breakfast items in the room or pick them up from the little shop in the Park Vue next door. The best part though, is they are RIGHT THERE at the crosswalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter