Favorite meatless meals

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to cut back on our meat consumption without replacing the meat with carbs. Right now the main meatless meals we eat are some kind of pasta, rice and beans, or vegetable fried rice. I'm looking for some more ideas.

What is your favorite meatless meal?

Cheese spaetzle with fried onions and tomato soup
Ratatouille
I make some veggies soups
Tomatoes with basil, garlic and brie over hot pasta
Potato and cheese pierogies
Can do a veggie frittata for a meal/ or quiche

Vegetarian here. My boyfriend eats meat but has cut back on it a lot in the last few years as it is easier to make 1 thing for dinner vs 2 completely separate meals. Here are a few faves that he says are just as good if there were meat in them.

eggplant parm (Similar consistency/ingredients to chicken parm)

black bean burgers On the grill

big salads. Sounds boring but they can be pretty good if add the right ingredients. You said you like rice and beans but are trying to avoid carbs, just add 1 cup of rice and beans to a green salad with some chipotle dressing and you will love it with minimal guilt.

veggie grinders. ( he says most places put so little meat on them that you taste mostly veggies anyways)

I hear you on the carbs, it is very easy to over do it on them if you don’t eat meat. Do you like cauliflower? It is a pretty good substitute for rice or pasta

Vegetarian here. My boyfriend eats meat but has cut back on it a lot in the last few years as it is easier to make 1 thing for dinner vs 2 completely separate meals. Here are a few faves that he says are just as good if there were meat in them.

eggplant parm (Similar consistency/ingredients to chicken parm)

black bean burgers On the grill

big salads. Sounds boring but they can be pretty good if add the right ingredients. You said you like rice and beans but are trying to avoid carbs, just add 1 cup of rice and beans to a green salad with some chipotle dressing and you will love it with minimal guilt.

veggie grinders. ( he says most places put so little meat on them that you taste mostly veggies anyways)

I hear you on the carbs, it is very easy to over do it on them if you don’t eat meat. Do you like cauliflower? It is a pretty good substitute for rice or pasta
I love a good eggplant parm but it it has a similar consistency to chicken parm, something is wrong.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat meatless dinners more often than not.
I make tacos with a combo of beyond meat ground and lentils and it works great.
Falafel feels pretty satisfying to me. I eat it in a pita with Feta, cucumber, green peppers, and sour cream ( away from the people in our house who are celiac...)
I substitute tofu and young green jackfruit for meat in just about any Asian inspired cuisine. Green Thai curry is a favorit

Allrecipes has a vegan split pea soup that is amazing. I don’t know how to link it, it comes up when you search vegan split pea soup allrecipes.

The recipe calls for water, but I substitute veggie broth for more richness and flavor.

I eat a lot of meatless meals and add beans for protien. I put black beans and chickpeas in my salads. I also make a dish that is pretty good to me, though very simple. I do rice (white or brown) with steamed cauliflower and/or broccoli and shelled edamame with some Asian sesame salad dressing (other dressings work, like sweet & sour, but it adds a lot of calories). It is simple and delicious actually. You could pretty much use any vegetables, or if you want to reduce carbs, use riced cauliflower as the base and top with broccoli, etc.

Last edited:
I'd get a vegan/vegetarian cook book or look up some websites.

the 'apple a day' series is very user friendly and has allot of vegetarian versions of traditionally meat based comfort foods.

the south beach diet cookbooks also have some good low/no carb vegetarian recipes.

some meatless meals we enjoy-

stuffed portabello mushrooms (stuffed with goat cheese, marinara, fresh basil)

indian simmer-jarred curry or korma sauce cooked with mushrooms, onions and bell peppers.

veggie pasta-spiralized zucchini and or summer squash with whatever type of sauce (marinara, pesto, alfredo...) sounds good to us.

be careful with meat substitutes-in addition to being costly you need to check the labels b/c some have crazy high calories.

Roasted sheet pan vegetables-onions,zucchini,yellow squash,grape tomatoes,red,yellow,and orange peppers tossed in olive with salt and pepper.Roast til fairly crispy,add chunks of cheese of your choice-return to oven to get bubbly and delicious.Add crusty bread.Oven at 375 degrees.

lentil and brown rice tacos
lentil soup
creamy cauliflower soup
portobella mushroom pizzas loaded with veggies
omlettes
cauliflower fried rices
eggplant parm roll ups
spinach lasagna roll-ups
OK, pretty much any pasta dish -but I use zoodles or low carb pasta for myself
black bean burgers
chickpea curry
paneer masala
white bean chili

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter