• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Cozumel Excursions

We have ben to Cancun and Cozumel many times. Last time we went on the Secret River And Playa Del Carmen because we got bored with everything else. It was AMAZING!

Has anyone tried the dune buggy and snorkel?
Thanks for your responses!

I did a private dune buggy excursion a couple of years ago. They take you to a private resort to snorkel from the beach. I didn't actually snorkel. I suck at it but my friend did. She said it was awesome and our guide pointed out things to her and when she got tired, he pulled her around and brought back to shore.
We also saw some ruins, crocodiles, a lighthouse, a tequila place, and shopped. We had lunch at a place that overlooked the beach. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We had a little time to hang out there. There was only one other family on the beach. The driver also had a cooler of water and beer for us. It was a really good day!

What @hoffman1 did sounds just like what we did in June 2015. We chose to book outside of DIsney becuase my daughter was only 7 and did not qualify for the DCL excursion. We used a company called Island Marketing and they booked us through a local company. We had 2 buggies and then the buggy the guides were in. We had the best day! With it being just us we had fun that would have never been allowed on a DCL sanctioned trip. During the drive to the east side of the island you are on this very wide smooth flat stretch of road with no one else around. We were basically drag racing but it was so much fun!

We have ben to Cancun and Cozumel many times. Last time we went on the Secret River And Playa Del Carmen because we got bored with everything else. It was AMAZING!
Can you suggest any excursions that will allow us to see the ruins? My husband and I are traveling with our 9 and 12 year old children... Thanks!

We booked through Disney. It has been awhile but I think we took a ferry to a small van which took us to the caves. We broke up into small groups maybe 8 of us? Got all of our gear, walked to the entrance of the caves, did a Myan ritual then entered the caves. Our guide was fantastic! Very knowledgeable and helpful. After the just relaxed and waited for our van. Not really ruins but super cool!

We booked through Disney. It has been awhile but I think we took a ferry to a small van which took us to the caves. We broke up into small groups maybe 8 of us? Got all of our gear, walked to the entrance of the caves, did a Myan ritual then entered the caves. Our guide was fantastic! Very knowledgeable and helpful. After the just relaxed and waited for our van. Not really ruins but super cool!
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Can you suggest any excursions that will allow us to see the ruins? My husband and I are traveling with our 9 and 12 year old children... Thanks!
If you are interested in an actual historical/archeological site and not a tourist trap, I recommend Tulum. I was an anthropology major in college who focused on pre-Colombian cultures, and Tulum was a site we learned about. It has been my dream ever since studying in Mexico City decades ago to visit the Mayan ruins in Tulum. We will be going on the DCL Tulum excursion in March.....I really could not be more excited!

If you are interested in an actual historical/archeological site and not a tourist trap, I recommend Tulum. I was an anthropology major in college who focused on pre-Colombian cultures, and Tulum was a site we learned about. It has been my dream ever since studying in Mexico City decades ago to visit the Mayan ruins in Tulum. We will be going on the DCL Tulum excursion in March.....I really could not be more excited!
That sounds fantastic! If you think of it, perhaps you could post after your cruise to give a review! Have a great trip!!

As I understand it. Many of these that are mentioned require a ferry ride. I heard it can be tough to go across to mainland Mexico. Small boat, seasickness type tough.

We enjoy going to a place in Cozumel called burritos gorditos. Super good.

Have done horseback riding at Mr Sanchos, you ride along the coast. Not in the water though.

The jeep thing was canceled for some table mates of ours last year. As not enough were booked. So make sure you have a backup plan.

JW

As I understand it. Many of these that are mentioned require a ferry ride. I heard it can be tough to go across to mainland Mexico. Small boat, seasickness type tough.

We enjoy going to a place in Cozumel called burritos gorditos. Super good.

Have done horseback riding at Mr Sanchos, you ride along the coast. Not in the water though.

The jeep thing was canceled for some table mates of ours last year. As not enough were booked. So make sure you have a backup plan.

JW
Great info! Thanks!

I've gone to the XPLOR park twice through DCL. Expensive!! But a blast.

Great Zip Lines.
Jeep driving - OK, and not really my thing
"Swimming" in the underground river (bobbing along really) was a lot of fun. Do the Long route
"Rafting" in the underground river - only if you have time - "Swimming" much more fun
Pretty Good Lunch is included

I've gone in April and May. No issues then with the ferry crossing to the mainland (Playa del Carmen)

Hello, our favorite was the jeep excursion. my daughter was 14,and still talks about how much fun it was. they take to a village,the beach with a great lunch and a wonderful drive. our guide was Jorge,he was awesome! he had water to soft drinks on ice in a cooler. we are going back to Cozumel in December and are going to do this excursion again. hope this helps,
have a great cruise! :o

We are thinking of booking a Jeep tour through cozumelcruiseexcusions.net - is that who you used?

We did the Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim at Chankanaab. It was me, DH, DD (10), DD (8), and DD (6). Everyone loved it, except for my 6 year old who was scared of the fish swimming around her feet. We bought the photo package and got some amazing pictures. After that we did some snorkeling and just walked around. It was easy to spend the whole day there.

What are your favorite excursions in Cozumel, and why?

Thanks in advance!:daisy:

Been there twice, in '14 and '15. First time, we took the ferry to Playa and subsequent short drive to Xcaret (DCL excursion). It was great: park was very clean and beautiful, service was great, and the included meal was excellent (we like Mexican food). Second time, we rented a van+driver and took the drive round the island. Is was a really nice, pretty, half-day trip. You can get a feel for it by checking out Google Maps. We very much enjoyed both and it really depends on whether you want to spend the whole day or, as we preferred last year, get back on the ship by noon to have more time to relax or shop near the pier. The other major factor, I was not aware of the first year, is that the ferry ride to the mainland is notorious for sea sickness. We saw people getting sick on the way back and, although none of us (6) got sick, everyone agreed that it was really nice to get off that ferry! Quite frankly, I would be very concerned about committing to taking the ride without knowing the weather on the day. The weather happened to be beautiful with calm seas when we were there last year, but it could have been a nightmare otherwise. For the same reason, I would feel nervous booking any excursion that involves a lot of sailing. One alternative, I seriously considered last year, was to wait and see what the weather was like when we arrived and then decide whether to take the ferry and go shopping in Playa del Carman on our own. We went back there after our cruise in 2014 and there is a very large and extremely nice shopping district that, at least to us, was well worth a half or full day trip. I am pretty sure that we will go for the last option next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter