Favorite Carry-on if That's All You're Taking?

Mome Rath

3 Decade Disney Traveler
I'm looking for your favorite carry-on piece(s) for when you are flying and only taking a carry-on. Right now, I use a duffel that does not have rollers, and does not convert to a backpack so I carry it by hand/on the shoulder the whole time. It can fit under the seat in front of me.

I realize that at some point age is gonna catch up with me and I'm looking for something that at least can be rolled if I want it to be (backpack conversion would be a bonus). I prefer one bag, and I prefer it to be able to fit under the seat in front of me. My current duffel has around a 30L capacity, which is just right for me. I'd also be open to a 2 bag system; a carry-on and person item, but the carry-on still needs to be on the small side of carry-on's.

So, what do you use, and why do you like it? How long have you used it? How many days do you pack for on average?

Samsonite with rollers. Nice size carry-on. Good quality. We got 2 on sale at Macy’s several years ago. We traveled last August to WDW for 5 nights and only used those for the first time and it was so nice not to bother with a checked bag.

I use a Rick Steves carry on backpack. I bought it several years ago and like it fine, but if I didn't already have it I'd get an Osprey Farpoint 55 just because I like all the features. DW has an Osprey Fairview 40. We prefer not to use rolling luggage because there are places we go where the terrain isn't roller-friendly and we want to be as mobile as possible.
I've been looking at Osprey's offerings. Does the fairview 40 fit under the seat in front of you? The only reason I'm considering something with wheels is trying to take care of my back as I approach 50. lol It may be that I just buy something for now, while I can still carry it on my back, and then switch if I start having issues.
Samsonite with rollers. Nice size carry-on. Good quality. We got 2 on sale at Macy’s several years ago. We traveled last August to WDW for 5 nights and only used those for the first time and it was so nice not to bother with a checked bag.
My mom travels with an under-seat sized Samsonite with rollers. I like it, but would like just a little more room, or more "give" in the material. I'm still considering it though. I do love carrying only a carry-on, it is very freeing!

I've been looking at Osprey's offerings. Does the fairview 40 fit under the seat in front of you? The only reason I'm considering something with wheels is trying to take care of my back as I approach 50. lol It may be that I just buy something for now, while I can still carry it on my back, and then switch if I start having issues.

My mom travels with an under-seat sized Samsonite with rollers. I like it, but would like just a little more room, or more "give" in the material. I'm still considering it though. I do love carrying only a carry-on, it is very freeing!
I doubt the Fairview 40 will fit under the seat. You might be able to if you go minimalist and also Ranger Roll everything/use compression packing cubes, but the bag itself is probably too large to work as a personal item.

I only carry on for US trips around a week or less. I have a Delsey hard side carry-on roller for overhead. and a laptop backpack for under seat for personal items (I usually stuff my purse/day bag in there). I put my laptop in the carry-on to lighten the weight of the backpack in case I have to wear it. It has a sleeve to fit over the carry-on's handle bar.

When I last looked there are small squarish & normal shaped backpack like rolling pieces that might be what you are looking for where it can go either way.

I got a red one ages ago that was my go to for WDW trips because I could hand it off to a kid and they could roll it when they wanted or it could be a normal backpack on a packed bus. So it was like the following, only probably under $50 at the time

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bag...MI5rXfrsuV_gIVDsrjBx16mQFHEAQYBSABEgJMQ_D_BwE

I only carry on for US trips around a week or less. I have a Delsey hard side carry-on roller for overhead. and a laptop backpack for under seat for personal items (I usually stuff my purse/day bag in there). I put my laptop in the carry-on to lighten the weight of the backpack in case I have to wear it. It has a sleeve to fit over the carry-on's handle bar.
Yeah, if I did get a personal item to match a roller, I'd want one that did have the sleeve built to slide over the handle properly. I've balanced a pack on a roller before without it, and it isn't fun. lol
When I last looked there are small squarish & normal shaped backpack like rolling pieces that might be what you are looking for where it can go either way.

I got a red one ages ago that was my go to for WDW trips because I could hand it off to a kid and they could roll it when they wanted or it could be a normal backpack on a packed bus. So it was like the following, only probably under $50 at the time

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bag...MI5rXfrsuV_gIVDsrjBx16mQFHEAQYBSABEgJMQ_D_BwE
Thanks, will check them out. My packing cubes are ebag I believe.

We love the WONHOX Large Travel Tote Bag off Amazon. We've checked them with no issues, and as carry ons they're the perfect size to easily fit in any small spaces in the overheard bins. They're pretty heavy duty and we've never had a zipper pop, as much as we overfill it. One pouch is lined with waterproof material too.

Kirkland (Costco) roller board suitcase, carry-on size. It's durable, practical, light, and they'll replace it with a new one if something every breaks or wears out. It's all I've used for at least 15 years (it was replaced once), and I've only checked it once in all that time and over all my travels. They don't sell a single at the Warehouse (I don't need the smaller one that comes with it at the store), so order it online.

We only fly carry on only. I rotate between these three depending on the size of the plane and how long I'll be gone:

1) Away bigger carryon - fits in the overhead on larger planes - not regional jets - I tend to favor this one for Disney trips because I'm usually on a big enough plane. They also make a smaller version which would fit more planes.

2) ebags mother lode carry on which I believe they now call the ebags motherlode duffel
81M3-Ii0QNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It fits in the overhead, and I use it for overseas travel because the wheels are great on cobblestones. This is probably my most favorite even though it only has two wheels. I can pack a lot in here and it's very sturdy.

3) For smaller aircraft like regional jets, I use the ebags motherlode weekender backpack:

9126jg+SCWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It can be stuffed in the overhead even on the smaller aircraft. There is also a smaller version called the weekender jr that's pretty popular. Plus, they make a convertible version that can be either a backpack or a rolling duffel. I doubt the convertible one would fit on the smaller jets, but I don't know that for certain.

ETA: I've also been considering giving this a try because it counts as an underseat personal item when you remove the wheels, but it actually has the interior space of a full carry on. It is always sold out, though, so I have not been successful in obtaining. People like it for traveling budget airlines like Spirit and Frontier.

https://takeoffluggage.com/products/take-off-luggage?variant=41545596600479

Last edited:
We love the WONHOX Large Travel Tote Bag off Amazon. We've checked them with no issues, and as carry ons they're the perfect size to easily fit in any small spaces in the overheard bins. They're pretty heavy duty and we've never had a zipper pop, as much as we overfill it. One pouch is lined with waterproof material too.
That kind of reminds me of the Beis Weekender but so much more affordable! Great find! Thanks for sharing.

I'm the "two bag" type. My backpack carries all my electronics (laptop, tablet, BT headphones, chargers for all + phone charger, water bottle, umbrella among others), and I have a hard shell roller bag (4 wheel) that has all of my clothing/toiletries. I can get ~5-6 days of clothes in the roller bag.

The roller bag came as part of a 3-piece set I selected for a work anniversary (either 20years or 25 years) gift. Black shell, bright yellow trim. Had an FA tell me Saturday she liked the color scheme and all the bags she's seen, she's never seen one like mine.

As far as brand, can't help you. Ordered it off Amazon and it was either 7 or 12 years ago.

I used to travel >50% for work.

I have a Briggs and Riley roller with a lot of miles on it which replaced my previous one that had even more. It doesn't fit under the seat because I find that measurement to be too different among planes.

For under the seat, I have a Briggs and Riley backpack with a whole lot of miles. They don't make the exact model anymore, but dimensions are similar to the current medium, which looks pretty close to the bag posted above with the removable wheels. It fits under the seat on most planes, but def not all. I have a small, flimsy $10 bag that meets Spirit's guidelines for fitting under the seat. If you want rolling, I don't see how you can also fit under the seat.

I've gone weeks on these two bags, and I have a lot of technology I have to carry. I don't check bags unless I have to, either kid stuff or liquids. I never check to MCO, after waiting for an hour for bags.

I have a wheeled LLbean carry-on bag that has zippered compartments on the front for a little more give if needed.

We also use these for our roadtrips, easy to get in and out of the hotels.

I don't have experience with under the seat items with wheels as all of mine have not been with wheels but I almost bought something similar to this last year:

1683049219682.png

It's meant to fit under the seat though check each airline. No experience with that type but it would fit under the seat of probably most airlines while also being wheeled (usually 2 wheeled but some come in 4 wheels) for ease.

I love my Rimowa Essential Plus. I can fit a decent amount of stuff. My partner has a Hershel backpack for electronics and I have one from The Row. My personal item is a medium crossbody.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter