Fastpass -

SCRAPBOOKQUEEN

Mouseketeer
Hi, I know this has been asked a lot but can someone explain to me about Fastpass now. Or, if there is a thread I could refer to. I saw here where one person stated that they had 5 Fastpasses???? It is my understanding that you get a Fastpass, it gives you a time to return, say 10:00 am. at 10:01 am you can then get another FastPass. Is there a way to maximize Fastpass? It's been since 2008 since I've been To DL so I just need a refresher. Thank you so much.

Scrapbookqueen:)

Once you have a Fastpass, you can get another in either 2 hours or the return time for your first Fastpass, whichever comes first.

For example, if you grab a FP for RSR at opening 9am and the return time is 2:30pm, you can get a FP for another ride at 11am. You can't get another FP for RSR until 2:30, when your first is up.

You must use your FP within the hour stated on it. They used to not pay any attention to the second time and you could use it any time after the first, but now they do. I think there is a very small grace period but that's up to the CM.

To add to what ImDMous said, you can also hold FPs for both parks as long as your ticket has been scanned/used to enter one park. The two parks are disconnected, meaning you can get a FP in DCA and then immediately go over to DL and get another FP. Using ImDMous' example, after you got your RSR FP, you could go over to DL and get another attraction FP without having to wait (basically, the system doesn't "know" you have a DCA FP). Also, the WoC FP is disconnected (meaning it doesn't impact your ability to get another FP in DCA (or DL)) - so you could get a WoC immediately after (or before) getting the RSR FP. In March, the Buzz Lightyear FP was also disconnected from the rest of the DL FP system (I don't know if that's still the case or not).

As mentioned, DLR does not have an official grace period, so it's up to the CMs to decide if they're going to allow late FPs to return. So it's best to plan on returning within the time window printed on the FP.

Has DL switched over the Fastpass+? I heard that they were going to do a 'mobile' version which was similar to the paper FP, but you could get them on an app rather than running around the park?

Has DL switched over the Fastpass+? I heard that they were going to do a 'mobile' version which was similar to the paper FP, but you could get them on an app rather than running around the park?

Nope

Thanks for the response. I could have sworn that Disneyland had announced a mobile device/app version of FP, but I guess I was wrong.

BTW, is that Jon Knight in your avatar? Sweet!

Actually they did briefly mention that something new in the form of FP+ may be coming to DL, but there was no date or explanation, other than that it would be day of FP's you could get on your phone. I should have said that in my original response!

And yes it is! My friend and I went to London to see them in concert in 2009 and we ended up riding the train with him to one of the shows!!! That's a pic from the train station platform we were waiting on!

And yes it is! My friend and I went to London to see them in concert in 2009 and we ended up riding the train with him to one of the shows!!! That's a pic from the train station platform we were waiting on!

That sounds like an awesome evening!

For you... something to honor both Disney and Jon:

The new Frozen stage show is also a disconnected FP so that's another you could get when you're picking up the RSR one in DCA.
I heard there was a limited test of FP+ via smartphone but it was short.

An example of holding 6 FP from Last week: (I am the FP runner since I have a back injury and can't ride certain rides) (We had early entry, but this almost same scenario could be done while the rest of the family goes left and rides IJ)
at 8:02 got HyperSM for 8:40-9:40 return time (next FP available at 8:40)
at 8:05 got BLAB for 8:40-9:40 return time (current disconnected)
at 8:40 got FP for ST for 9:50-10:50 return time
Park Hopped to DCA
8:50 got FP for RSR for 10:50-11:50 return time
9:30 got FP for Frozen 2:30 show
9:35 got FP for WOC 9:00pm show (blue seating area)
basically everytime a FP window opens I am standing at a FP station getting another set for the family.

Once you have a Fastpass, you can get another in either 2 hours or the return time for your first Fastpass, whichever comes first.

For example, if you grab a FP for RSR at opening 9am and the return time is 2:30pm, you can get a FP for another ride at 11am. You can't get another FP for RSR until 2:30, when your first is up.

You must use your FP within the hour stated on it. They used to not pay any attention to the second time and you could use it any time after the first, but now they do. I think there is a very small grace period but that's up to the CM.

We were in the parks last week and were able to use several sets of "expired" fast passes, just like the good old days.

The only attraction where it was even mentioned was Tower of Terror. We were asked if we had been in the Frozen show then waved right on through. Expired passes were accepted at Space Mtn, Soarin and Big thunder without even a 2nd glance.

We were in the parks last week and were able to use several sets of "expired" fast passes, just like the good old days.

The only attraction where it was even mentioned was Tower of Terror. We were asked if we had been in the Frozen show then waved right on through. Expired passes were accepted at Space Mtn, Soarin and Big thunder without even a 2nd glance.

I hope that happens for us! We are going next week and it would be great if we could go at anytime after the stated time and not just within the one hour printed on the ticket! Fingers crossed!

I hope that happens for us! We are going next week and it would be great if we could go at anytime after the stated time and not just within the one hour printed on the ticket! Fingers crossed!

Just a word that our experience has been VASTLY different than the PP's and if you try it I think you stand a good chance of being denied (thus losing the FP entirely.)

Personally we prefer it the way they are doing it, and we returned in the window even before they started adhering to them (but we aren't regulators so not here to chastise trying - just cautioning.) But our FP's are virtually always checked - often not just in a you-have-a-FP, wave us through way. But actually looking at the time, occasionally even checking a watch. In any case, we were behind 3 different parties a week and a half ago that were denied entrance.

The first happened at Space - father and son got stopped, 10 minutes early. The CM told them their pass wasn't valid for 10 minutes. The dad got huffy and tried to argue. She pulled out her phone finally to show him the time. He then stood there blocking the entrance for the rest of us. The CM had to ask him to step aside.

Later at Thunder a family was an hour early and told they would need to come back when their window was ready. That was weird cause they had to have just pulled it, the return times were not far out. Anyway they argued too. Said they didn't have time to wait (it was only about noon) and their daughter realllllly wanted to ride. The CM told them that standby was only 25 minutes. I silently laughed.

At Screamin a group tried to use their FP late, my impression was hours late but didn't catch it all. They were staight up denied. They didn't argue :)

Last edited:
Also good to know! I would never try to use a FP before the stated time, but I might try to use one after the time. Like if I forget about it or decide to do something else during the return time and then still have it in my pocket.

We're going with a big group from DD's dance group and I know none of them will have any clue about touring and how FPs work and how to maximize your time, so we may be "hostage" to hanging out with people who are clueless. Which is OK because being with our friends is part of the fun and we will be there 5 days. (As a side note, we're going to WDW in July for a week and have that trip planned to the minute so we will be very efficient then, which is part of the reason why I am OK with being inefficient at DLR.)

Just a word that our experience has been VASTLY different than the PP's and if you try it I think you stand a good chance of being denied (thus losing the FP entirely.)

At Space Mtn, I attempted to explain why we were about 3 hours late but I could tell that the attendant wasn't concerned and just waved us on through. After that, we didn't make any extra effort to get back to the attractions within the time window and never felt like it was a big deal.

I know that they claim that the 1 hour window is now being enforced, but I didn't see any evidence of that.

An example of holding 6 FP from Last week: (I am the FP runner since I have a back injury and can't ride certain rides) (We had early entry, but this almost same scenario could be done while the rest of the family goes left and rides IJ)
at 8:02 got HyperSM for 8:40-9:40 return time (next FP available at 8:40)
at 8:05 got BLAB for 8:40-9:40 return time (current disconnected)
at 8:40 got FP for ST for 9:50-10:50 return time
Park Hopped to DCA
8:50 got FP for RSR for 10:50-11:50 return time
9:30 got FP for Frozen 2:30 show
9:35 got FP for WOC 9:00pm show (blue seating area)
basically everytime a FP window opens I am standing at a FP station getting another set for the family.

Would you be up for helping me to understand this just a little bit better. There is another post here that says "Once you have a Fastpass, you can get another in either 2 hours or the return time for your first Fastpass, whichever comes first.

For example, if you grab a FP for RSR at opening 9am and the return time is 2:30pm, you can get a FP for another ride at 11am. You can't get another FP for RSR until 2:30, when your first is up."

But it doesn't seem like your FP schedule followed that rule. I thought I understood it, but now I'm lost.

Thanks in advance!!!

Would you be up for helping me to understand this just a little bit better. There is another post here that says "Once you have a Fastpass, you can get another in either 2 hours or the return time for your first Fastpass, whichever comes first.

For example, if you grab a FP for RSR at opening 9am and the return time is 2:30pm, you can get a FP for another ride at 11am. You can't get another FP for RSR until 2:30, when your first is up."

But it doesn't seem like your FP schedule followed that rule. I thought I understood it, but now I'm lost.

Thanks in advance!!!

In Disneyland park Buzz isn't connected to the fastpass loop so you can get it and another one at the same time. At DCA neither WoC nor Frozen are connected thus the ability to grab those at basically the same time as well.

In Disneyland park Buzz isn't connected to the fastpass loop so you can get it and another one at the same time. At DCA neither WoC nor Frozen are connected thus the ability to grab those at basically the same time as well.

Those are scheduled show tickets.

As a general comment, if a ride is shut down during the one hour window, then the FP can be used any time up to closing time. That works even if the ride is operating again before the end of the window. They don't expect that FP holders are going to stick around.

Those are scheduled show tickets.

As a general comment, if a ride is shut down during the one hour window, then the FP can be used any time up to closing time. That works even if the ride is operating again before the end of the window. They don't expect that FP holders are going to stick around.

That's excellent advice - in this particular instance I was responding to a poster who did not understand how someone grabbed both a Buzz and a Star Tours fastpass a minute apart but that's a really good tip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter