Fastpass return or replacement?

After reading most of this thread now, I’m just as confused as I was this morning. I don’t know if I have the energy to even try to figure it all out. I’m left with more questions than answers and am just generally frustrated. Every time I think o understand it, another aspect is revealed. I have to get up at 7am every morning I’m there for the privilege of purchasing a pass for a headliner?

Why did they have to make this so dang complicated?
Right there with you!

It’s been a while but weren’t early times of paper fast passes gone pretty early? I remember around 10 am not being able to get anything before 3 pm for popular rides in MK. I see the same with Genie. Imagine paying for genie and only booking 2-3 rides and the rest standby. You will feel ripped off.

And this really sucks for sleep in days. We do long trips so sleeping in and hitting the pools a few days and having FP+ start in the evening was awesome ! No more of that.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't imagine paying for this and not getting to do quite a few rides with low wait times to make it worth the cost. If I only get 3 tier 2 rides for $15, that's not worth it.

Wondering how this will affect all the AP holders. Will the Genie "know" you've ridden "X' ride 32 times in the last month? Will a screen pop up and say "you've reached your maximum number of rides on this attraction - try these instead"?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't imagine paying for this and not getting to do quite a few rides with low wait times to make it worth the cost. If I only get 3 tier 2 rides for $15, that's not worth it.

Expectations will be even higher now that there’s a price tag - is there a no refund rule anywhere? I can see people wanting refunds, easily.

When it was paper fast pass getting 3 or none was fine. I wasn’t paying. We barely got any Back then because the kids were small and most of what they could ride didn’t have long waits or we just did what had short waits instead of running around the park.

With FP+ I was fine just doing my 3 if I didn’t feel like playing the refresh game since it was free. And I always had a tier 1 ride.

Now with genie I’m going to want to get my monies worth. I won’t be happy with 2-3 tier 2 or 3 rides. I can’t even get a tier 1 in that.

When it was paper fast pass getting 3 or none was fine. I wasn’t paying. We barely got any Back then because the kids were small and most of what they could ride didn’t have long waits or we just did what had short waits instead of running around the park.

With FP+ I was fine just doing my 3 if I didn’t feel like playing the refresh game since it was free. And I always had a tier 1 ride.

Now with genie I’m going to want to get my monies worth. I won’t be happy with 2-3 tier 2 or 3 rides. I can’t even get a tier 1 in that.
Exactly! And what happens when a ride goes down and you’re waiting extra time?
“I paid extra for this?”

Uggg, I'm not loving this but figured it was coming. I have legacy APs bought in 2019 that were supposed to be activated March of 2020. I had the perfect long weekend of FP planned along with a strategy set for Rise. Even with paying extra I dont think ill be able to line up a weekend with the FPs I had ever again. That weekend was canceled.

I was planning on activating these passes labor day weekend but DH doesn't want to go without FP (I loved FP+). Whenever we decide to activate in the next year we will probably pay but it helps that our passes are already paid for. I am interested to see how they integrate this with APs. I think most out of state people over estimate how Florida residents do APs. Sure there are a few vocal bloggers that seem to always be there but it's a hassle to just jump over to Magic Kingdom for an hour, it takes an hour just to park and get in the gate. I think of my APs as a 2 week Disney trip just split up over a few long weekends. This is how most people I know do florida APs. I really don't have the opportunity to just ride certain rides whenever we want to, especially with this reservation system.

It does seem to me that you could possibly have a Rise BG, LL for SDD anda G+ for say SR at the same time at HS.

Anyway, here's to hoping that I can book LL the morning of a reservation and not actually at the resort (for example driving over for a Saturday night stay) and it's not too outrageous of a price. Im not even sure id do Disney again (its just too stressful) except I have already paid for the passes.

I’ve spent the last several hours trying to catch up and read rumors about the new system. But now I am recalling posts from weeks ago made by posters who seemed to have inside information. They suggested that genie roll out was delayed because it was so complex and had to get integrate with the park pass system, the hotel system, the das system, who owns DVC, etc.

On reflection, what part of integration am I missing? As far as I can tell, ticket integration is limited to who and who did not pay 15$ per day and hotel integration is only to prebook at 7am. That feels like a limited amount of integration. What am I missing? And are there elements that haven’t been rolled out?

Here are the rides Touring Plans think will be the extra fee per ride ones.

Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

EPCOT: Test Track and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure

Hollywood Studios: Rise of the Resistance and Slinky Dog Dash

Animal Kingdom: Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris

https://touringplans.com/blog/genie...twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Remy's will be Virtual Queue, as is Rise of the Resistance. They may eventually move to the extra fee, but not right away.

I suspect either Soarin or Frozen at Epcot and MMRR at Hollywood Studios will open as extra fee.

I think what we'll likely see long term is that brand new rides will be Virtual Queue. Then, if a park had a VQ ride previously, it gets bumped to extra fee if still highly popular. Possibly bumping an extra fee ride to Genie+.

That's my guess on it.

Remy's will be Virtual Queue, as is Rise of the Resistance. They may eventually move to the extra fee, but not right away.

I suspect either Soarin or Frozen at Epcot and MMRR at Hollywood Studios will open as extra fee.

I think what we'll likely see long term is that brand new rides will be Virtual Queue. Then, if a park had a VQ ride previously, it gets bumped to extra fee if still highly popular. Possibly bumping an extra fee ride to Genie+.

That's my guess on it.
There have already been reports that the two virtual queue rides will be available for purchase. They will have two ways to ride them, boarding group or extra fee.

Edited to add link

Last edited:
I don't get how making me get up at 7 am is an onsite benefit. Fastpass allowed me to sleep in and enjoy my vacation. I think onsite reservations are going to take a serious hit unless it offers additional benefits.

It absolutely could. Disney is obviously anticipating that what ever hit they take there will be more than covered by the $15pp/pd they will be charging. Time will tell.

How many years has Disney raised prices and slashed benefits. It is a guaranteed annual price hike at this point accompanied with an annual benefit cut at this point. Yet crowds have continued to go up, revenue increased, etc. Every year people on here say "Removing this thing is the final straw for us", "They have now priced out my family", yet many of those same users later post a trip report. And nearly all of us either willingly or begrudgingly continue to pay the mouse and go.

Now they took a hit related to COVID but that was out of their control. Until they actually do see a hit based on something they have done, nothing will change. These executives care about revenue, stock price, and compensation. As long as the money is coming in they are not about to give away something for free that they could charge for.

As someone else point out earlier, sorry I am not going back to search out the post, Disney at this point is almost trying to price people out and limit attendance. The main complaint people have is too many people, too long of waits, cant get ADR where they want, etc. So if Disney can continue to increase fees, thus increasing revenue while possibly decreasing attendance and likely increasing guest satisfaction, they are likely to continue to do so.\

I know people are hoping this fails. But this board is probably what, maybe 15% of die hard fans, and maybe, what, 0.05% of Disney's target audience? I doubt this will really have any affect to 99% of the ignorance is bliss WDW visiting population.

I am not saying I agree with what they did, or even supporting this new thing. I am just saying I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to fail, or for them to bring back some free feature or benefit that guest had previously. The mouse is about the money, and we can all whine about that not being the way it used to be, but that is the sad reality that it's come to. And Disney doesn't care, nor does it seem that the large majority of their target audience does either. Disney has become such an institution that has almost become irrelevant how much they are charging, or what they charge for, because people are still coming in flocks in higher numbers than the parks can really support.

I hope you don't take offense to me picking your post, I just chose it at random from several similar ones.

That's my guess on it.

That is probably a fair guess. I can almost guarantee, depending on popularity of course, but we likely get to a point in the near future of 3 extra fee rides at each park. Once Tron opens, wouldn't be surprised if it was just a third upcharge ride. Same with Guardians Cosmic Rewind. It just suddenly becomes the new norm, and while there are minor complaints at first, eventually everyone just adjusts to "the new norm." Maybe I am just being too cynical, I jsut don't see this leadership team missing out on any chance to squeeze a little extra juice out of the lemon.

That is probably a fair guess. I can almost guarantee, depending on popularity of course, but we likely get to a point in the near future of 3 extra fee rides at each park. Once Tron opens, wouldn't be surprised if it was just a third upcharge ride. Same with Guardians Cosmic Rewind. It just suddenly becomes the new norm, and while there are minor complaints at first, eventually everyone just adjusts to "the new norm." Maybe I am just being too cynical, I jsut don't see this leadership team missing out on any chance to squeeze a little extra juice out of the lemon.

Definitely not too cynical. As someone mentioned in response to me, they can also do both and just not have a standby at all. Seems like they'd need some time with just VQ, if nothing more than to have a good idea of throughput and how many "guests" they can squeeze through on an average day, that way they know how many to cap the VQ's and boarding passes at.

Or they'll just add a disclaimer that says "Although you were given a boarding pass group, we reserve the right to sell your spot to someone willing to give us more money."

So I went to bed (I am in Europe) when we were on page 97. This morning I woke up to page 107. That is way less than I was expecting.

- People don't seem as angry as was predicted.
- Some people see how this can benefit for their trips/family.
- People have problems understanding how this benefits some as it doesn't benefit them (and vice versa)

Is it a cash grab?
Yes, and no. It is becoming an industry standard to pay for quicker excess. Disney is just quite late to the party. This was going to happen anyway. Will it become more expensive in the future? Very likely, but what isn't.

I do think the price for Genie+ is good. Yes, it will price out some people, but I do not think it is that high, the average guest can buy it for one or more days.

The limit of 2 LL per day prevents those with more money than the average guest to buy out all the rides.

I do not think LL will be used by most. I think a lot of people will not see value of paying $100 extra for a family of 5 for a 2 minute ride. Yes, there are people who will do it, but I think it will make the standby lines go quicker.

Also for Genie+, it will not be bought by all, so less people in LL should make the standby line go quicker.

Yes, I can see how on average for the entire parks, this can be beneficial for the majority of the guests.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Disney has to design something that works for the majority. There will always be groups for who a change will not work. That is unavoidable. In this case for example, those from overseas who do 2 week long trips, they won't buy Genie+ for an entire stay unless paying a hefty fee.

With how bad we thought it was going to be... I think Disney did okay.*

*this entire post is based on PR speak, let's wait for the details and see it in practice 😉

Here are the rides Touring Plans think will be the extra fee per ride ones.

Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

EPCOT: Test Track and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure

Hollywood Studios: Rise of the Resistance and Slinky Dog Dash

Animal Kingdom: Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris

https://touringplans.com/blog/genie...twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

if the $15 pass gets you on around 40 rides and attractions, there’s a lot more missing compared to Fastpass numbers now.

I see the same talking points being raised by people defending this abomination. And of course, there were problems with the old system. But I just find it odd that they can’t imagine a solution that doesn’t have Disney reaching into your pocket some more. But of course “everyone else does it” etc etc.

I’d also like you to imagine a world where Disney had invested in rides instead of blowing billions on digital systems that were sold on their ability to reduce staffing costs. And this is ultimately the reason Disney is where they are. We’ve had close to 20 years of chronic underinvestment in the parks. Each park should have gotten an e ticket every 4-5 years since opening. Instead, we’ve more hotels, dvc where they couldn’t fill those same hotels. Ride closures and of we were lucky value engineered replacements that didn’t even have the same capacity.

Add all of this to the multitude of cost reductions. Not just big things like magic express or parking. No longer having 2-4 full time custodians per restrooms. The Light bulb crews that replaced bulbs at 80% of their expected lights so you don’t have blown light everywhere. Monorails maintenance. Basic things like benches. Etc etc. Etc

I feel for people who didn’t experience WDW up to the late 90s. Because what we have now is a shallow imitation of those once glorious parks. You’ve to go to Tokyo now to get that same experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter