• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fastpass return or replacement?

I do find it subjective, especially because I disagree with your second to last sentence. But that's ok!
Would you mind explaining the added value, over the current system and the free fast pass system, of paid fastpasses. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if the paid aspect brings positive changes that I missed in the article.

So initially I thought this completely sucked but after thinking it through a little bit I’m already thinking of strategies to work with it. I can even see how it will work out for lots of people.

for us, we do longer trip lengths usually (like 10/11 days). We won’t be buying genie+ for every day but we’ll use it strategically. The thing I really don’t like is that a lot of e tickets will be excluded, but assuming there is a free virtual queue, I think if you plan appropriately it won’t be a problem. Wanna do avatar? Ok, get in the virtua queue for that right before lunch. Much to my own disbelief, I think I can work with this.

of course I wish it were still free (and am SHOCKED that this perk to on-site guests is now gone), but I can work with it without blowing the budget. I could even break pretty much even we skipped two park days but bought genie plus for 4 of them. Genie+ (if it actually provides basically instant access) should allow you to get a lot more done in one day than you could do within the framework of fastpass/+, considering they were broken into tiers.

I think the real loser in this scenario will be the AP holders. If they don't get any Genie+ features with their AP, that's a lot of potential extra revenue for them to use G+ or LL to go on the top ride each day they come to the park that was not available before.
I am though understanding AP holders can buy genie+ if they want to? I mean yes it’s a cash grab but I’ll pay.

And its magical to charge a family to come to a park and then have them pay more to ride on popular rides

So since you have no issues with the new system, it's ridiculous for someone else to hope it fails so that WDW can go back to the think tank and maybe come up with something better. But, since it's better for YOU it's okay. I get it now.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. But as long as people pay, Disney will continue to find new ways to separate people from their money. And people ARE going to pay for this. While it could possibly fail, going back to the way it was is extremely unlikely. Once a new revenue source is found, that faucet is likely to be turned off or even down. They might just adjust the pressure/flow. (maybe a bad analogy sorry).

Take for example the NHL. Last year they added ADs on the helmets as a "Temporary revenue source during this difficult time with no ticket revenue." While this year ticket revenue is expected to be back, and they have announced not only will ADs continue to be on helmets, but they will add them to the jerseys as well.

Once the genie is out of the bottle... (Sorry, felt like I had too)

Sorry, I haven’t read through everything. As far as the top tier rides, is the only way to ride them going to require purchasing Lightning Lane or will there still be a standby opportunity? For instance, if you rope drop a park, can we still ride ToT or 7DMT by just hopping in line? Also, will we have to purchase all rides on ROTR now? I’ve never even ridden yet and don’t like the idea of having to pay a huge premium just for one ride.

Without the complete details- It's not nearly as awful as I was fearing it would be for us. Between the half hour early entry, being able to book a paid attraction early, doing rope drop and the EHM's, this is something we can work around if not work with. I'm not a fan of it, I preferred FP+, but it's not enough to make me write WDW off.

Big question for me- Will the Genie system still be used during the EMH's and during the EE for resort guests? I know with traditional EMH's evenings, FP was not in use and I'm hoping not in use for EMH's now. That would be a huge perk if we didn't have to pay for any rides and didn't have to book rides one at a time. I can't imagine they'd use Genie for those, in which case, I'm really in! Makes EMH's super valuable.

Sorry, I haven’t read through everything. As far as the top tier rides, is the only way to ride them going to require purchasing Lightning Lane or will there still be a standby opportunity? For instance, if you rope drop a park, can we still ride ToT or 7DMT by just hopping in line? Also, will we have to purchase all rides on ROTR now? I’ve never even ridden yet and don’t like the idea of having to pay a huge premium just for one ride.
There will still be standby for all rides except ROTR and Remys. Those 2 rides you will either be able to purchase or get a BG.

This is, once you boil it down, essentially MaxPass for WDW. I don't get all the ire and hate. This thread and its predecessor was constant hand wringing and threats for 300+ pages where people were assuming something like DLP. Now we've been handed something much more manageable and is comparable to MaxPass (essentially) and now we're up in arms all over again.

It really is except for the option to pay more per certain rides. That’s the one part of this that’s kinda hard to predict how it will effect your day. Just regarding the MaxPass part I think some people here have never used it so so they are skeptical. It really is a great system and at least WDW will be 5$ cheaper than Disneyland. I saw some posts say all the LL selections will be gone early in the day. At Disneyland that did happen for the biggest rides sometimes but I could often make nonstop maxpass selections all day and night. I see no reason why that wouldn’t happen at WDW as well.

Without the complete details- It's not nearly as awful as I was fearing it would be for us. Between the half hour early entry, being able to book a paid attraction early, doing rope drop and the EHM's, this is something we can work around if not work with. I'm not a fan of it, I preferred FP+, but it's not enough to make me write WDW off.

Big question for me- Will the Genie system still be used during the EMH's and during the EE for resort guests? I know with traditional EMH's evenings, FP was not in use and I'm hoping not in use for EMH's now. That would be a huge perk if we didn't have to pay for any rides and didn't have to book rides one at a time. I can't imagine they'd use Genie for those, in which case, I'm really in! Makes EMH's super valuable.
See, this I get.

That’s true. But maybe that’s where virtual lines come in handy. One thing that appeals to me about this are the many different ways you can potentially have a low wait for a variety of rides. Boarding pass for one, rope drop one, virtual standby for one, Genie+ for one, LL for one, etc.
As I am reading the tea leaves, there will be very, very few virtual queues. Just ROTR and Ratt when in opens. And then probably the new headliners like Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy when they come online. Unless I'm mistaken, the rumor about other rides moving to virtual queues when the standby line gets too long --- assigning you a time to return and enter the standby line --- has not come to fruition; it does not appear to be included in the announced system at all.

Last edited:
Would you mind explaining the added value, over the current system and the free fast pass system, of paid fastpasses. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if the paid aspect brings positive changes that I missed in the article.
1. Doing away with tiering so I don’t have to choose between Frozen for my daughter or Test Track for myself and husband.
2. Taking away the advantage of guests staying for long trips. We go for three night visits typically. I always set my alarm at the 60 day mark and could never get FoP, SDD, sometimes Mine Train.
3. Doing away with the need to refresh. I was always the refresh person in our group and I spent way more time than I cared to at it.
4. Giving me an alternative option if I’m shut out of RotR. I won’t always pay the upcharge for it, but I’m very happy to know I have a backup plan if I’m going with someone whose never been on it.
5. Giving me numerous ways to shorten lines ie rope drop, boarding pass, virtual standby, G+, LL, etc. I can roll these together to make the best plan possible for the way my family tours.

I find a ton of value in this system so far and am excited learn more!

Truth be told, anyone I see pushing this as a good thing I suspect is probably a poster with an agenda, either they work for Disney or are paid to try to push a message by the same. I can understand those who aren't up in arms over this change but those promoting it are beyond my comprehension right now.
100% no agenda here. Though I don't think I'm promoting it either, just excited!

I think the real loser in this scenario will be the AP holders. If they don't get any Genie+ features with their AP, that's a lot of potential extra revenue for them to use G+ or LL to go on the top ride each day they come to the park that was not available before.

I can almost guarantee you will be able to add genie+ to your AP. You could do it with maxpass on your Disneyland AP and genie+ is essentially a new version of maxpass with a few changes

1. Doing away with tiering so I don’t have to choose between Frozen for my daughter or Test Track for myself and husband.
2. Taking away the advantage of guests staying for long trips. We go for three night visits typically. I always set my alarm at the 60 day mark and could never get FoP, SDD, sometimes Mine Train.
3. Doing away with the need to refresh. I was always the refresh person in our group and I spent way more time than I cared to at it.
4. Giving me an alternative option if I’m **** out of RotR. I won’t always pay the upcharge for it, but I’m very happy to know I have a backup plan if I’m going with someone whose never been on it.

I find a ton of value in this system so far and am excited learn more!
Was typing up a response, but this sums up my feelings pretty well, thanks!! I never minded refreshing though.

Was typing up a response, but this sums up my feelings pretty well, thanks!! I never minded refreshing though.
Oh my gosh in recent years it got out of hand for me!! My last time in AK I spent hours that day refreshing to try and get our large party on FoP. I was over it!

Can’t everyone do that? So still a competition of fastest hands/best wi/fi? I really don’t know, though. I need to read and watch Disney info again.

No.

Whatever rides Disney designates as the "upcharge rides" - only resort guests will be able to reserve them at 7 am. Everyone else will have to wait until they enter park.

We all get to reserve the "regular" rides at 7 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter