Fastpass Reloading

-_Stitch-Up-Scrump_-

Mouseketeer
Does the trick of reloading the Fastpass selection the day of to find new openings of good fast passes actually work? What are your experiences.

Right. As PP stated, it's not about it "really working" as if there's some magic click that makes it happen. However, people are constantly changing FP times or entire FPs and so then the FPs become available and you grab them. I hope you have great timing and that others cancel their FP so that you can nab them.

Luck of the draw. If you're looking for something when someone drops it, it works. If no one's cancelling what you're looking for or someone else picks it up faster, then it doesn't work.

Refreshing is the term the DIS boards have come up with, and it 100% works. It works best the day of, as you mentioned, as that utilizes people constantly changing their passes. You aren't guaranteed to get what you are looking for, particularly the really popular rides, but refreshing absolutely works.

It's really a matter of how much time you want to devote to refreshing. Some people find it distracting to feel like they're "glued" to their phones, and only want to refresh once or twice before calling it quits. Other people will refresh over and over and over until they find something they want.

I've found good FP completely by chance when I was casually looking for something mid-tier. I've also wanted rides that never popped up, no matter how many times I refreshed. Some people seem to be "better" at refreshing than others, but chance plays a large role.

It's really a matter of how much time you want to devote to refreshing. Some people find it distracting to feel like they're "glued" to their phones, and only want to refresh once or twice before calling it quits. Other people will refresh over and over and over until they find something they want.

What ClapYourHAnds said. (nicely worded!)

This is very important to keep in mind. You may not want to be glued to your phone madly refreshing, because, sometimes it DOES take a little bit of work to get what you want. If you have other trustworthy people in your group, teach them how to do it. Make it a contest. The thrill of success is contagious. You'll see other people glued to their phone for a few minutes, and then pumping their fist in the air, and announcing what they scored to their group. It's fun. How I normally do it:

I rope drop, and schedule the high demand rides / fp's in the am.
Then, I schedule the lesser demand rides and shows. I hunt for more fp's while we are doing the lesser demand rides and shows, because it's easier to skip teacups for Splash, AND it's easy to hunt for good FP while waiting to get in a theater like Monsters Inc or Indy.

We also have a walking formation - leader in front followed by kiddos, fastpass hunter in back. Single file (ish)

When im in line i refresh every few few seconds amd it changes each time. One second will only give you 3 options .next you will have a dozen selections . Same with times

For the additional FastPass selections, I just try to keep in mind where the park kiosks are located and attempt to swing by and try a few times to see what's available. I can usually catch back up with my family without too much time being lost. Sometimes we hit something good, but sometimes not. I was disappointed when I was trying the kiosk right next to the Jungle Cruise, and every ride except that one popped up!

I can't find the post with the "how to refresh" instructions. I thought I saved it, but I can't find it now. Can someone give me a link, and I promise not to lose it again!

For the additional FastPass selections, I just try to keep in mind where the park kiosks are located and attempt to swing by and try a few times to see what's available. I can usually catch back up with my family without too much time being lost. Sometimes we hit something good, but sometimes not. I was disappointed when I was trying the kiosk right next to the Jungle Cruise, and every ride except that one popped up!
The kiosks themselves in the parks really aren't useful for refreshing. The MDE app on smartphones is really how you can utilize refresh. I don't know if you can even refresh on the kiosks to be honest.

The kiosks themselves in the parks really aren't useful for refreshing. The MDE app on smartphones is really how you can utilize refresh. I don't know if you can even refresh on the kiosks to be honest.

Agreed. You really can't "refresh" on the kiosks. Need to do it on your smartphone.

Yes, it 100% works.

Refreshing is the term the DIS boards have come up with, and it 100% works. It works best the day of, as you mentioned, as that utilizes people constantly changing their passes. You aren't guaranteed to get what you are looking for, particularly the really popular rides, but refreshing absolutely works.
How exactly do you "refresh?" Does it mean closing the app & re-opening?

I don't have the thread link to refer you to, but basically on the app or website you keep selecting different times for different pass options to appear. For instance, if I'm looking for Space Mountain for 3:00 p.m. and nothing shows up for the 3:00 time slot, I can simply click another time period and different time options will likely appear. I can then keep doing this as often as I want to see what becomes available. Just because the don't see a time that works doesn't mean it's not available. You aren't refreshing the app, you are just refreshing the time options. You're never close down the app while doing this. I hope that made sense.

No need to close the app. If you have an existing FP, you go to "modify." If you have used your first 3, you make a new FP. If you don't like what you see, you just X out and try a new search. By starting over, you're asking the app to search again (aka "refresh" the search).

It tends to be more efficient to modify an existing reservation to a more convenient time because the attraction will be at the very top and not require you to scroll down. So if you're looking for Space Mountain, and the earliest is for 3 hours from now, take that reservation. Then modify your search until a better time pops up.

It works! This technique has become a hobby of mine when I find myself in a queue for more than a couple minutes. It's been very common to find desirable FPs multiple times per day. The smaller the party the better your chances too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter