Fast passes soooon?

I feel there are alot of different groups here. The people who stressed and panic set up fp+ and the people who made sure to just pick 3 rides in the morning so they could look for more fast passes through out the day.

Being "forced" around a schedule never was an issue for my family since all booked past passes were used before noon. The hour window let us have freedom to just show up even 5 min before the time or right before it was up.

Let's pretend MK
8:30 pirates
9:30 BTM
10:30 space mountain

So first ride of the day you don't even need to be at the park till almost 9:20 to catch the first ride than asap hop over to BTM right after. You have been in the park now 20-30 min and got 2 of your rides done. Now you can chill out have breakfast and take your time in standby lines or shop up to around 11:20. Or get right on at 10:25. We always showed up at the start time. Once you scanned in.. it was GAME TIME. Phone out refreshing seeing what other fast passes we could get. We didn't "need" them but we liked the freedom it gave.

Yes freedom. I knew what time we could get in line and about when we would be done. The hour window left alot up in the air and tons of free time. If you wanted to pingpong around the park grabbing as many passes you can you can do that.. if you just wanted a 4th fast pass for a headliner at another park.. you can do that...

I miss it.
Getting a headliner the day of.......hahahahaha! You couldn't get Slinky Dog 60 days ahead of time. By noon, there are no headliners left.
I never stressed about FP+ but I've been 3 times since they reopened and each time has been 1000x better without FP+. I like being able to just go onto a ride and the line actually move! Everyone keeps screaming about capacity going up but the capacity they are on right now is approximately only 15% lower than the daily average capacity they were doing in 2019....which was a busy year. The wait times will not increase that much if they went to full capacity because they are almost never at full capacity.....even when they are in their highest attendance years.

Getting a headliner the day of.......hahahahaha! You couldn't get Slinky Dog 60 days ahead of time. By noon, there are no headliners left.
I never stressed about FP+ but I've been 3 times since they reopened and each time has been 1000x better without FP+. I like being able to just go onto a ride and the line actually move! Everyone keeps screaming about capacity going up but the capacity they are on right now is approximately only 15% lower than the daily average capacity they were doing in 2019....which was a busy year. The wait times will not increase that much if they went to full capacity because they are almost never at full capacity.....even when they are in their highest attendance years.
I can't put the stress of having to ride the headliner on my plate. If we get that early fp+ for fop or such than awesome. But it wouldn't ruin my trip. Being able to ride 6 rides with minimal wait is far better than 20-45+ lines. Because instead of hopping from ride to ride it's. Ride.. wait... Ride wait.. ride wait. No free time to shop or eat if you wanna do the same amount of rides. Idk to each there own.

There is no way current attendance is any where near normal. Not when you look at having to make park entrance reservations and not being able to go into any park because no entry reservations are available

There is no way current attendance is any where near normal. Not when you look at having to make park entrance reservations and not being able to go into any park because no entry reservations are available
In 2019, the average attendance was right around 50,000 people a day at the MK. The max capacity of the MK is 100,000. So on the average day, the MK was operating at 50% capacity. They are currently operating at 35% capacity and are definitely full/at 35% capacity. So just like I wrote, currently they are only operating 15% below what their average daily attendance was in 2019....which was a busy year. It's straight numbers. Obviously this is all on averages, so busy times the difference would be greater but at slower times, the difference is smaller.

It is hard when you have a family with children who are accustomed to going year after year without having to wait at all (typically under 15 mins) to get on rides because of the FP+ system and longer trips. We are the type of family that will just skip a ride if the wait time seems longer then what we feel is worth it. Really, it all depends on your feelings or opinions on that matter. Some guests at Disney are like our family, they don't wait. It just isn't worth it. The again, we don't just go for the rides, we love the whole experience so that part isn't the end all be all. For other, its all rides - it is all about your style of "doing" Disney.

Disney as a company will always do what is best for their bottom line. I will say that for them to offer something that seems exclusive to on site guests is a marketing move that has been beneficial to them in the past. These perks are things that also are things that you can argue or worth it or not. Regardless, they are great for marketing and incentivize people who only come one or twice in a lifetime to visit. Disney is looking to get more people hooked (like us here on the Disboards) and they need to get them in the door. I can't predict if they will bring back FP+ or another version of it, but I do predict that they will come up with something to use to use to position themselves as a destination with great perks.

What NABAS said.....it is so cute you think Disney did something for us, the customer......EVERYTHING Disney does is for the shareholders and the bottom line on the balance sheet.

if you have been going to Disney since 1993, you must surely have realized the difference between then and now. Many on these boards have been going to WDW for the last 40+ years and do remember when some things were done for the benefit of the park goers. This all changed when Bob Igor took control and basically changed the whole outlook of the Disney experience, forgetting about the customer and focusing on the Shareholders. DME did not make them money even though they thought that it would by thinking that people would be stuck at WDW with no transportation to leave. They lost money but kept it till now during the lean pandemic times. Contrary to what you think they did think of benefiting the customer at times but I am glad that you think it’s cute that I think that.

In 2019, the average attendance was right around 50,000 people a day at the MK. The max capacity of the MK is 100,000. So on the average day, the MK was operating at 50% capacity. They are currently operating at 35% capacity and are definitely full/at 35% capacity. So just like I wrote, currently they are only operating 15% below what their average daily attendance was in 2019....which was a busy year. It's straight numbers. Obviously this is all on averages, so busy times the difference would be greater but at slower times, the difference is smaller.

operating at 35k instead of 50k is 30% less than normal, not 15% of normal.

So, in terms of real numbers, the average attendance in 2019 was 50,000 per day. Now we are at a max of 35,000 per day (if everyone who has a park pass shows up). So, adding an additional 15,000 people to the existing 35,000 is a 42% increase. Said another way, even if half of those numbers jumped on a line at any given time, I would not want to wait in those lines.

FP's are only missed by AP holders that literally go into the park, use their 3 fast passes and then leave to go hang out at their resort.
Such a sweeping generalization to make. My family is an "open and close the park" family, and we really miss fast pass. We have been 3 times since the pandemic started and the first trip, we did not miss it . . . the lines were manageable. However, our last trip the lines were unbearable. Would have liked to take a few rides without waiting, and that is what FP+ used to provide!

This all changed when Bob Igor took control and basically changed the whole outlook of the Disney experience, forgetting about the customer and focusing on the Shareholders.

1st trip was 1978 and 1981...the 1993 was as a regular on my dime as an adult.

I totally agree about Igor. Michael Eisner was able to grow the company by building a better park. "if you build it they will come" sort of thing. Igor took the approach of we have all these great capital investments...lets squeeze the customers dry.

The hindsight of history has made Eisners time look very good. Back then, cast members had much more pride in the parks and customers.....now...it is just a low paying job where the cast members don't feel appreciated.

Last edited:
So, in terms of real numbers, the average attendance in 2019 was 50,000 per day. Now we are at a max of 35,000 per day (if everyone who has a park pass shows up). So, adding an additional 15,000 people to the existing 35,000 is a 42% increase. Said another way, even if half of those numbers jumped on a line at any given time, I would not want to wait in those lines.

But keep in mind.....many of the "crowd eaters" like shows, fireworks, and eating are not operating. So yes.....if they all the sudden add capacity, it will be crowded unless they add back the crowd eaters.

we went in September 2021 and December 2021. We loved no fast pass. Every ride standby is so much more efficient then FP+ where a ride like Peter Pan is un rideable without a FP+. But everyone standby, and the entire QUE turns over every 20 mins. Vs standby taking 90 mins when mixed with FP+.

...So on the average day, the MK was operating at 50% capacity. They are currently operating at 35% capacity and are definitely full/at 35% capacity...

I wonder what will happen as capacity increases. Going from 35% limited cap to 50% limited capacity is almost a 45% increase in current attendance. For popular attractions that could increase the waits by 45%. Even if a few attractions reopen, there will be 45% more people still looking to ride the favorites ahead of us on line. They won’t be skipping Mine Train or MMRR etc just because a couple other things reopen. For the popular rides that extra 45% will undoubtedly add to the lines. As capacity continues to increase lines will keep getting more challenging. One way to offset this is expanding hours and operating rides to the fullest possible.

I hope WDW manages well thru all this. Looks like they could. I also hope they soon start bringing back options to avoid or plan around some of it too, like with early entry and whatever replaces FP+. I’d love to see both return this summer. It’ll be fun and interesting to strategize their new game 😆

We went in September 2021 and December 2021. We loved no fast pass. Every ride standby is so much more efficient then FP+ where a ride like Peter Pan is un rideable without a FP+. But everyone standby, and the entire QUE turns over every 20 mins. Vs standby taking 90 mins when mixed with FP+.
So your saying fast pass is still not available in the future? Darn. Time travel must be kool tho :p

if you have been going to Disney since 1993, you must surely have realized the difference between then and now. Many on these boards have been going to WDW for the last 40+ years and do remember when some things were done for the benefit of the park goers. This all changed when Bob Igor took control and basically changed the whole outlook of the Disney experience, forgetting about the customer and focusing on the Shareholders. DME did not make them money even though they thought that it would by thinking that people would be stuck at WDW with no transportation to leave. They lost money but kept it till now during the lean pandemic times. Contrary to what you think they did think of benefiting the customer at times but I am glad that you think it’s cute that I think that.
1st trip was 1978 and 1981...the 1993 was as a regular on my dime as an adult.

I totally agree about Igor. Michael Eisner was able to grow the company by building a better park. "if you build it they will come" sort of thing. Igor took the approach of we have all these great capital investments...lets squeeze the customers dry.

The hindsight of history has made Eisners time look very good. Back then, cast members had much more pride in the parks and customers.....now...it is just a low paying job where the cast members don't feel appreciated.
Prior to 1984, Disney (the company) was run by family & friends of Walt Disney. This is "old school" Disney. The Disney that was 100% committed to providing outstanding quality & service at a reasonable price.

Michael Eisner took charge in 1984, soon after a hostile takeover attempt. The Disney BOD realized they needed an aggressive business person to grow the company. Eisner's background was in film & TV, and that's where he focused his attention first. (At that time, Disney's studio division was in shambles, producing forgettable films.) But he did institute 4 years of big price increases at WDW. The concept of "reasonable price" was gone at WDW, although WDW continued to be committed to outstanding quality & service.

By 1987, Eisner began to earnestly look at the theme parks. He rushed through Disney-MGM Studios, which opened in 1989 with, I think, only 4 attractions! WDW fans were furious, and Guest Relations had to deal with a lot of irate Guess demanding their money back. A couple of more attractions opened by the end of the year and things settled down at Disney-MGM Studios.

The 1990s saw a lot of investment at WDW. In some ways, these were the Golden Years. Pushed by the Bass family, who were Disney's largest shareholders at the time, Eisner started building a ton of hotels at WDW. (Hard to believe that up till 1988, WDW only had 3 hotels & the campgrounds.) We also got a fourth theme park, water parks, a shopping district, and more.

Some point to the death of Disney President President Frank Wells in 1994 as the turning point, but the reality is that years before this Eisner & Wells had started quality cuts before this at WDW. Little by little, WDW quality declined, but it still was outstanding throughout the 1990s.

Things hit a wall in 2001. A recession had already started and 9/11 had a devastating impact on WDW. Eisner spent his last 4 years as CEO just trying to survive, and WDW suffered as a result.

Bob Iger took charge in 2005 and slammed the brakes on any further investment at WDW. WDW went more than a decade without any significant brick & mortar investments.

But towards the end of his tenure, Iger recognized WDW was overdue. He approved billions of dollars for projects at WDW. Obviously, COVID slowed that down but most of the projects that were planned in Iger's last few years are going to be finished, even if some have been scaled back.

But in 2019 they were filling every ride and had theater shows and meet and greets running to take up dome of the crowds. If they went to 50% or 75% of capacity now, is would be horrible for guests.

But in 2019 they were filling every ride and had theater shows and meet and greets running to take up dome of the crowds. If they went to 50% or 75% of capacity now, is would be horrible for guests.

They are filling almost every ride open. As far as attractions closed, if we just look at MK then it is not an issue because there are no theater shows there. The only thing that is gone at MK are the parades and frankly nobody misses those nightmares. I was just there in March and I can only think of 3 rides that were not filling each seat. Country Bear, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Carousel of Progress were also limiting seating but it has been years since I have been to those shows when they were regularly full anyways.

I would say the only park that really will need their shows open at full capacity will be good old MGM. But we are still only missing B&B and Indy. Frozen is open.

As I said earlier, with no FP+ the lines actually move. So you don't need the crowd fillers like meet and greets, parades, etc to help ease the standby lines that used to not move because of FP+. The park was packed during spring break and I never saw Peter Pan's posted wait over 30 minutes! That was the posted time, most of the posted times were higher than the actual wait times! When has Peter Pan maintained a wait that low during FP+ times?!!!

Laugh Floor Floor is closed, the MK Railroad is closed, are they filling every seat on coasters and boats, now? They were doing every other row.

Laugh Floor Floor is closed, the MK Railroad is closed, are they filling every seat on coasters and boats, now? They were doing every other row.
Train has been closed for years now so I didn't count that and frankly I forgot about Laugh Floor.....they really need to spice that up, I liked Stitch better than Laugh Floor. Yes, they are filling every seat on coasters. The three rides that I said they are not filling every seat are Jungle Cruise (not filling that middle of the boat bench, pirates (leaving a seat between parties), and Splash (leaving a seat between parties). Everything else is seating every row/vehicle. The only thing no ride is doing is seating singles with strangers.

They uncovered the Laugh Floor sign and separated its queue from Buzz Lightyear's queue so I would expect it to open "soon".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter