Fast Advice Please..

PoohBear

DIS Veteran
I really need some advice. My 10yo DS broke his foot yesterday. We leave in 9 days for WDW. Luckily, the ortho dr. says no surgery is required because none of the bones that broke are displaced but he must wear a special shoe and use krutches for at least 6 wks. What do I do? He was crying at the thought of cancelling the trip, we are going for his birthday. That would add insult to injury but I am not prepared for this. Can someone please give me some advice? How much is it to rent a wheelchair at WDW? We are on a tight budget. Should/can we rent one at home? Does he need a doctor's note for any reason? Can someone give me the basics? I'm sure this has happened to others, unfortunately. Sorry, so many questions. I don't even know if I am asking the right questions. Oh, I am so overwhelmed, please help. :sad1:

Originally posted by PoohBear
I really need some advice. My 10yo DS broke his foot yesterday. We leave in 9 days for WDW. Luckily, the ortho dr. says no surgery is required because none of the bones that broke are displaced but he must wear a special shoe and use krutches for at least 6 wks. What do I do? He was crying at the thought of cancelling the trip, we are going for his birthday. That would add insult to injury but I am not prepared for this. Can someone please give me some advice? How much is it to rent a wheelchair at WDW? We are on a tight budget. Should/can we rent one at home? Does he need a doctor's note for any reason? Can someone give me the basics? I'm sure this has happened to others, unfortunately. Sorry, so many questions. I don't even know if I am asking the right questions. Oh, I am so overwhelmed, please help. :sad1:
Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
First thing to do is take a deep breath and then repeat, "Everything will work out fine."
Near the top of this board, there is disABILITIES FAQs thread. That has all the answers to your "where to get a wheelchair" questions. The price for renting from the parks is listed; it will usually be less expensive renting by the week from one of the off-site places. If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, you can also get one lent from the resort (the FAQs gives more info). They do have some child size wheelchairs, but you would probably have better luck renting from off-site. You can also get a crutch holder attached to the wheelchair.
It might be good to rent one from home and bring it with you so you have it in the airport. If you don't, you can arrange with your airline to be met at the gate with a wheelchair. That is a good idea because the Orlando airport is huge.
You don't need a doctor's leter. Most of the waiting lines are wheelchair accessible and the CMs at the park will direct you to the accessible entrance when you do need to go somewhere else. Since he can walk a few steps with the crutches, he will be able to ride almost everything. WDW won't prevent you from riding - they do have warning signs at each ride entrance and before boarding for the rough rides. You should ask the doctor if there are any types of rides he should not be going on (like a roller coaster might be OK, but not Rock N Roller Coaster which turns over).
The FAQs thread has a link to download the WDW Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities. They have very basic info about rides. You can also get a written version of the same info at Guest Services in the parks.
Here's some pixie dust for a great trip - although it may not be exactly the trip you had in mind, I'm sure you'll still have fun.

I don't know where you are from, so I'm not sure what services are provided in your area. However, perhaps one of the service clubs in your area (Lions, Legion, Shriners etc.) might have a loan cupboard stocked with wheelchairs, crutches, etc. In which case you could borrow something. Also, you didn't say if your son was in a lot of pain, or what the dr.'s orders were. For example, if your son must keep his foot elevated, not all wc have elevated footrests. Also, If you rent a wc, be sure to ask for crutch holders. I'm very certain the wc in the parks will not have them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter