Farthest you would drive for a spontaneuous weekend trip

As far as the drive goes, no I don't think it's too long. My mother lived in Clearwater, FL and I lived in N. Ga. and I would often leave after work on Friday, drive down and come home on Sunday, just so my son could get to spend one day on the beach and I could get to spend it with Mom. I don't think the drive is too long.

As for the location and the money, only you and your wife can decide if that works. I know after every loss I've had in the past 15 or 20 years, I've taken a trip somewhere, just to get away from home and all the memories it holds. Even if just for a few days, it soothes my soul to get some distance. We each handle grief differently and only you and your wife can decide how to deal with it.

We live in Baton Rouge and we can get to Houston or Gulf Shores in under 5 hours. That is my limit for a weekend trip.

I would definitely drive that far! I say, go for it! Sorry for your loss. I think you're an amazingly sweet, caring husband to think of this!

When I read the title, my first thought was "8 hours", so I guess it's obvious where I stand on the driving. I think you've gotten good feedback on the potential success of the idea, but no one here can really how how your wife would react to the idea of the spontaneous trip soon after your loss. Just reading the reactions presented in this thread demonstrates that for some, this would be wonderful, and for others not so much. I think it's great that you're planning to talk to her before actually doing anything and I would guess that she will be touched by knowing that you are thinking of her and trying to make things better for her regardless of whether or not she'd actually be up for the trip.

No one here knows your wife, so they have no idea how she will respond. Ask her. For us, 8 hours is about our limit for a long weekend trip anywhere, so the drive would be acceptable. But only she can help you decide if the timing is right.

I have done NJ to Charlotte, NC. Better when there was a 2nd driver but alone was ok too. A little over 600 miles and 9 hours

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. After talking it through with my wife yesterday, we've decided to skip Disney and take a trip closer to home and spend labor day weekend in Williamsburg, VA. That's only about a 4 hour drive and costs about half what Disney would have. We don't know what our out of pocket expenses will be yet from all the medical visits over the past couple of weeks so it's probably a safer choice to not splurge right now.

We are about 8 hours away and are driving to Disney for a long weekend in October. We got APs this year for this reason. We can leave work a bit early, drive down to get there for dinner and then do the reverse heading home, maybe taking 1 day off work. Every Saturday in the fall we drive 2 hours each way for a 3 hour football game. We figure 8 for 3 days in Disney is doable too.

My limit is 5-6 hours and that is only if I can leave by late afternoon on Friday. Williamsburg is one of my favorite vacation spots! It sounds like a great idea. If you haven't already done so and can afford to splurge, I highly recommend eating at King's Arms Tavern. Enjoy your trip!

There's not a way for the original poster to close their question once it's been answered and they are no longer looking for input, is there? That'd be a nice feature.

There's not a way for the original poster to close their question once it's been answered and they are no longer looking for input, is there? That'd be a nice feature.

It's a discussion board, not a Q&A board. If anyone wants to stop following the discussion, they can just "unwatch" the thread.

It's a discussion board, not a Q&A board. If anyone wants to stop following the discussion, they can just "unwatch" the thread.
Can you point to a way to do this? I knew on the old system but can't locate it on the new one. I'm sure I'm overlooking it

Can you point to a way to do this? I knew on the old system but can't locate it on the new one. I'm sure I'm overlooking it
Go to the top of the thread and look at the right-hand side right above the first post of the page.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

To answer your question I would absolutely drive up to 12 hours to get to Disney. We drive 10 hours every year to get to Destin, FL and it's very doable. If we were that close to Disney, we'd be there ALL.THE.TIME. Flights eat up so much of our budget.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

To answer your question I would absolutely drive up to 12 hours to get to Disney. We drive 10 hours every year to get to Destin, FL and it's very doable. If we were that close to Disney, we'd be there ALL.THE.TIME. Flights eat up so much of our budget.
They can eat up a lot of time these days too.
We have been flying recently because we have been getting flights for $49 each person, each way. It cost us about the same to drive.
But, that means a 2 hour drive to the airport, arriving there 2-3 hours before the flight, a 90 min flight and then 60-90 min transport to WDW.
All totaled we'd leave our door and arrive in WDW at about the same time as we would had we opted to drive the whole way. The only difference is we aren't captive in the car the whole way.

We live in TN and have driven 10 hrs for a weekend trip to Disney World a couple of times and would do so again

Regardless of distance, personally I would have a very hard time with a 2 day trip to WDW. Just not enough time to de-stress and really sink into the vacation and feeling of WDW.

Dan

nope. 2 hours max for a short weekend. 4 for a Holiday w/e. 8 hours.. would have to be a week minimum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter