• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Farewell Francis and Heimlich

agamble

DIS Veteran
USA today posted this very bias article about how Bugsland is going away and few will miss it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...lifornia-adventure-close-september/826960002/
Those of us who keep up with Disney news know that the closing of Bugsland could have been avoided if plans had gone their way. Closing Bugsland is not, as the article suggests, because it was a poorly executed idea but because land is at a premium.

I say onward progress. But I will miss Bugsland. It was cute. Well themed, and fit the target audience. We're going to miss Francis' Lady bug boogie. That ride was more thrilling than the teacups and always elicited giggles from my kiddos. I kind of wish they'd rethemed that one for the pier instead. But Fliks has a greater capacity .

....very soothing farewell and eloquent at that......I am going to miss the lighting bugs, cereal box and clover...for once in my life was a miniature human being and walked with fear of being captured in a jar...I use a lot oxygen....and as for progress.....I am glad to see that Charlotte Web will be removed from elementary school curriculum....that target audience , evidently....is long gone.

I like A Bug's Land. I loved the theming and the feeling of being small. And Heimlich - I loved that silly ride for some reason! I will definitely miss it!

It’s utterly heartbreaking to me. Heimlich is a terrific ride and the whole area is wonderful. I only had a little kid for a short time, but we still enjoyed experiencing bug’s land. And it was a terrific first-timer place for toddlers to find out what rides are.

We loved Bugs Land too. Agree that Francis Ladybugs ride was really a cute fun ride! We rode it on our last trip and it’s true you can’t ride that ride without laughing! Heimlichs and the ladybugs were our favorite there but the whole area is really well done and great for the Little’s. Gonna miss it.

We are going to miss it as well. We were just there last week, and we rode all the rides in there and then the kids and I said good bye. They were sad when I told them it was the last time we’d ever see bug’s land.

We will miss it as well. DD has special needs and as much as she likes going on SM, BTM etc. she loves Bugs Land.

I think the whole land is so well themed, it is a shame it is going. I also don't care for Flik's change to IO. BL is Pixar, there was no need to change it. If they had kept a different ride from BL then I could see the change in a more positive way.

I too will miss it. Granted it is mostly a little kid area and my kids are teens BUT we loved the themeing and loved Heimlich and if I still had little kids I would be sad because with that gone there isn't a ton for little ones to do in that park. Crazy enough we were there right around when that place opened and now it is already going. :( Plus to me by adding so much pixar it is weird to get rid of a pixar area. I get why they are doing it but still. Plus if the rumors are true and they eventually put a super hero themed coaster in Hollywood Land then we would lose Monsters Inc too which is also pixar and we LOVE that ride. And yet another thing that littles can do. I am one of those that is not into super heroes and def didn't want it taking over a Disney park but I know that it is. Will there even be any rides or just meet and greets in that area? Just sad about the whole thing.

I'll miss the theming of the land. It was so lush and beautiful. It kills me to think of them ripping out all that beautiful landscaping.

I also feel bad for those with little ones. It'll be a drastic cut to the attractions that are friendly for kiddos in DCA.

I too will miss it. Granted it is mostly a little kid area and my kids are teens BUT we loved the themeing and loved Heimlich and if I still had little kids I would be sad because with that gone there isn't a ton for little ones to do in that park. Crazy enough we were there right around when that place opened and now it is already going. :( Plus to me by adding so much pixar it is weird to get rid of a pixar area. I get why they are doing it but still. Plus if the rumors are true and they eventually put a super hero themed coaster in Hollywood Land then we would lose Monsters Inc too which is also pixar and we LOVE that ride. And yet another thing that littles can do. I am one of those that is not into super heroes and def didn't want it taking over a Disney park but I know that it is. Will there even be any rides or just meet and greets in that area? Just sad about the whole thing.

I think the original plan was to remove Monsters and everything over there and expand into the bus area. But now they are removing Bugsland instead. There is some land behind Bugsland/Carsland that can be incorporated into Marvel. The plan appears to be for 2 attractions to go in the area in and around Bugsland. The area Monsters and the old Muppet theater are in does not have any plans for removal at the moment.

The best part is the water play area, I used it EVERY VISIT because DCA is sooooooo hot. I am surprised more people aren't upset about that part!

The tone of that article was... not my style. And a bit heavy on the booze consumption references. There is so much to enjoy about the theming, the night time ambiance, and seeing Flik roam his land occasionally.

I'll miss the theming of the land. It was so lush and beautiful. It kills me to think of them ripping out all that beautiful landscaping.

I also feel bad for those with little ones. It'll be a drastic cut to the attractions that are friendly for kiddos in DCA.

Yep :sad1:

Heimlich's and Flik's were the first two rides my daughter went on at any theme park ever. Our younger daughter is now at the prime age for those rides and I'm sad that they'll be gone. It leaves DCA with really only two decent rides for small children (Monster's Inc. and Ariel, though the reincarnated Flik's Flyers and the carousel will be back next year).

And no matter that the rides might have been "off-the-shelf carnival rides", the theming was fun for everyone, and contributed to more variety of land styles in DCA - the city streets of Hollywood Land, the lush greenery of Bug's Land, the small-town Cars Land, etc. I have a hard time picturing the Avengers land as being anything but a semi-extension of Hollywood Land, awash with concrete. But maybe they'll surprise us.

Disney still could have made it work to eliminate the current loading/unloading area for the shuttles and reclaim that land, but they chose not to do so. I think getting rid of Bugs Land was always on the radar, especially since it can tie in with some backstage space that could be used as well.

I, too, will miss Bugs Land. My Daughter has loved this land since a baby. I am understanding of the need to move forward and I am totally with that. But it is nostalgic for us. I am happy to see that Flik's will be repurposed for Inside Out. However, it continues to baffle me that Disney will not utilize all of that space in Hollywoodland that remains empty and mostly unused.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add that DCA is definitely not very baby/little kid friendly! We’re visiting DLR in November and skipping DCA all together. The carousel is closed and no Bugs Land, leave me with very little I can do with my 2 and 1 year olds :(.
Thankfully, Dl still has loads of kid friendly attractions! But I’m a little concerned that DCA is turning into a themed six flags! Or the Disney softer version of it. Makes me sad :(

The new Inside Out ride (located where the old Maliboomer used to be) will be Flik's Flyers with a new paint job -- so that should be little ones friendly. And Jesse's carousel will reopen next year with all new critters.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add that DCA is definitely not very baby/little kid friendly! We’re visiting DLR in November and skipping DCA all together. The carousel is closed and no Bugs Land, leave me with very little I can do with my 2 and 1 year olds :(.
Thankfully, Dl still has loads of kid friendly attractions! But I’m a little concerned that DCA is turning into a themed six flags! Or the Disney softer version of it. Makes me sad :(
Yeah, we had this same issue with my nephew earlier this month. He rode Toy Story, Monsters, and Little Mermaid (I guess we could have taken him onto Golden Zephyr and Mickey's Fun Wheel, but we didn't), but only 5 rides without a HR? It's kind of ridiculous. Reminds me of Legoland...

The best part is the water play area, I used it EVERY VISIT because DCA is sooooooo hot. I am surprised more people aren't upset about that part!

The tone of that article was... not my style. And a bit heavy on the booze consumption references. There is so much to enjoy about the theming, the night time ambiance, and seeing Flik roam his land occasionally.
For us we enjoyed Bugs Land but we loved the water play area. It was a saving grace on many a hot day!!! I did love Heimlich though and will miss this ride dearly!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter