FAQ: Flying Out of Buffalo OR Detroit

We are flying out of Detroit to Orlando for 12 days..hence we need 12 days of parking. We always stay at the Westin at Mcnamara terminal but since we leave on a Thursday, the rates with taxes and 12 days parking is over $400.00. So, we are still staying at the Westin for free on points and I can get 12 days of parking at the big blue deck at the north terminal of detroit airport for $120.00 plus tax. It says that it has a free shuttle to Mcnamara terminal/Westin hotel. and that it is a covered lot. Has anyone ever parked here before. I think that this is the terminal where Southwest and some other airlines fly out of.

We just did exactly that! Yes, the Big Blue Deck is covered and costs $10/day. It's a large parking garage so write down where you parked. The Terminal-Westin-Terminal shuttle is free but it will take you some time. On our return, the shuttle was just driving away as we got to ground level. So, the Green Lot shuttle driver offered to take us to the Big Blue Deck, which was very kind of him.

We live in Windsor and are flying to Disney at the end of January. We are lucky to live so close to Detroit Metro Airport. Just wondering about s/p/f. We need to be at the airport at 6:30 am and with January weather and border issues thought this might be a viable option. Any info would be apprieciated. :confused3

We live in Windsor and are flying to Disney at the end of January. We are lucky to live so close to Detroit Metro Airport. Just wondering about s/p/f. We need to be at the airport at 6:30 am and with January weather and border issues thought this might be a viable option. Any info would be apprieciated. :confused3

I am presuming s/p/f means stay.park and fly. If so stay at any one of the airport hotels. They all include free parking (usually 7-10 days) and a free shuttle to and from the airport. If you are leaving on a Fri-Sat_Sun, I would reccomend the Westin that is attached to McNaamara Terminal . For $175 you get valet parking, 10 days free parking and your hotel room is a 5 minute walk to the terminal (Delta). We are staying there the last night in January.

I am presuming s/p/f means stay.park and fly. If so stay at any one of the airport hotels. They all include free parking (usually 7-10 days) and a free shuttle to and from the airport. If you are leaving on a Fri-Sat_Sun, I would reccomend the Westin that is attached to McNaamara Terminal . For $175 you get valet parking, 10 days free parking and your hotel room is a 5 minute walk to the terminal (Delta). We are staying there the last night in January.

Thank you Tgropp. That would be a really nice way to start my vacation just wake up and walk to my teminal. Hope you have a great time in Disney. We might just be passing in the airport I am returning Feb 1st.

As someone who lives in Southern Ontario, I have a choice to fly out of Buffalo or Toronto. Sure Toronto is closer, but usually these Buffalo to Orlando or anywhere warm flights are usually in the early AM, so crossing the boarder takes a few minutes since there isn't usually a line up. And when you get to the Buffalo airport, checking in and security is a piece of cake especially when compared to Toronto security & US customs. I would actually say when comparing driving to Buffalo vs Toronto. When you consider driving, customs, and check in time, I would say Buffalo and Toronto total time from home to gate is a push for me.

You have to remember the flight costs are usually cheaper when compared to Toronto costs. As I'm been lucky to book my 4 family members direct from Buffalo to Orlando for $1000. Once with Jet Blue and my next flight is with Air Tran. That's at least half of what Air Canada would have charged.

Then you consider parking, Buffalo airport is 20-40% cheaper then Toronto options. So that helps with the gas costs. But when you consider picking up some cheap beer from customs and then filling up on cheap gas before crossing, the costs of getting there is a push. Regarding Buffalo Airport parking, there is round the clock shuttles that basically picks you up where you parked, they give you a ticket # to assist with finding your car when you come back and then they take you right to the terminal. Then when you arrive, you give the ticket to the shuttle driver and they take you right to your car. Awesome Service!!!

So for me its a no brainer to book a flight from Buffalo.

Note, I usually cross at Lewiston. As the Niagara Falls/Fort Erie route is very dark at night and at least the Lewiston/St. Catharine's part is lite up some what.

Hope that helps!
-GG

Thank you Tgropp. That would be a really nice way to start my vacation just wake up and walk to my teminal. Hope you have a great time in Disney. We might just be passing in the airport I am returning Feb 1st.

I never thought of the Westin! Awesome! Thanks!:cheer2:

We've flown out of Detroit twice, to head to Orlando, in the past 4 years. If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: don't stay at the Super 8.

Even being from two hours north of Toronto, along the 400, the amount we saved going to Detroit instead of T.O. was soo worth it!

Next time, though, we're going to watch for sales and try to fly Buffalo.

Next adventure: possibly trying the drive, again, down to WDW in October, with a party of 10!

Any recommendations for Buffalo hotels, to leave your car at instead of the airport (or any who don't recommend this at all)?

I think that a thread about driving routes would be a good idea.
I'm sure there are folks from all across the country that could provide tips and tricks. I often respond to people posting about driving from Ontario to WDW.

Disboards could also post from out east and the folks out west too with routes to Disneyland.

Have done this for over 30 yrs... and know it so well don't need a map ! It is fantastic.... we have taken flights, but preference depends on the trip !

I'm coming from just north of Toronto and I wanted to know which bridge is best to cross at? I'm worried about getting stuck at the border for a really long time next week.

I'm coming from just north of Toronto and I wanted to know which bridge is best to cross at? I'm worried about getting stuck at the border for a really long time next week.

We crossed at Fort Erie last year around mid-day (between 2:30 & 3:00) and were through in less than 10 minutes. We'll be doing the same thing this year. :thumbsup2

It all depends on when you cross. Either bridge will be good during the week except rush hour times but weekends is a different story.

When we drive we either cross at the Peace bridge (Fort Erie) or at Queenston/Lewiston. I use the mobile version of the peacebridge.com website which gives up-to-date information on current wait times. As we get closer to the border I check on my phone which bridge has the shorter time and we go to that one.

If you're looking for other crossing information The Canadian Border Patrol maintains this website, which includes information on all the other crossings you might be considering: cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

Sorry I can't post the exact links -- I haven't posted to the disboards enough times to enable that feature :blush: -- but you can hopefully copy and paste and add a "www" to follow the links, if you're interested.

Thanks guys. I will download the mobile app so we can keep checking the wait times. We are crossing on a Monday in the early afternoon so hopefully it won't be too busy.

Keep in mind for anyone crossing both Queenston Lewiston in Buffalo is under construction as well as a lot of Windsor to the bridge.

Detroit tunnel was extremely slow for us a few weeks ago, take the bridge if you must cross there.

For Buffalo we crossed at Ft Erie, 20 min wait on a weekend, came back rainbow, about the same wait.

Queenston was a mess, the electronic signs to Niagara are even telling people it's over an hour wait time there while under construction.

Just thought I'd update this a bit for this summer for anyone travelling. We cross quite a bit.

I'm leaving on Monday for FL via BUF on an 8:50am direct JetBlue flight. DH decided at the last minute to stay overnight in BUF. Where are you guys finidng hotel deals for the park.sleep.fly? I can't find anything under $200 for the 5 of us.

Thanks!

I'm leaving on Monday for FL via BUF on an 8:50am direct JetBlue flight. DH decided at the last minute to stay overnight in BUF. Where are you guys finidng hotel deals for the park.sleep.fly? I can't find anything under $200 for the 5 of us.

Thanks!

I always use the park, sleep, fly website here: "http://www.parksleepfly.com"

How long will you be leaving your car? That can affect the price.

BTW, we stayed at the Days Hotel which is right across the street from the airport. It was awesome and the price was very reasonable. There were two of us and we were parking the car for 15 days. I think the price was around $105US, taxes in. This was the end of September/early October 2012.

Good luck with your search and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter