Fantasyland February 2022 Exercise Thread

Adding in 45 minutes today from the park. Some of that was an attempt to improve my mile time. I did improve, but not by much. Afterward, we stopped at the sports store and I got some new running shoes, which will obviously be the key to my success going forward!

575/800

No color changes, but some members are getting pretty darn close!

We're moving back around the world, to Hong Kong Disneyland's Fantasyland. Let's start with the Castle of Magical Dreams, Hong Kong's castle. This seems to be the first and only time that a Disney park replaced its centerpiece castle! The castle was originally Sleeping Beauty Castle, but was redesigned for the park's 15th anniversary in 2020.

HK's Sleeping Beauty Castle looked just like the one in Anaheim. But the Castle of Magical Dreams is much more fantastical! According to the Hong Kong Disneyland website, the new castle was inspired by and intended to pay tribute to Disney Princesses and Queens "who overcame adversity to make their own dreams come true, inspiring all who dare to dream big"--Cinderella, Tiana, Aurora, Ariel, Mulan, Snow White, Moana, Merida, Belle, Rapunzel, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Anna, and Elsa. Because the castle was previously Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Aurora's is the highest tower in the new castle.

The castle contains a meet n greet area (the Royal Reception Hall) and a jewelry shop (Enchanted Treasures). Interestingly, HK Disneyland also offers an audio tour of the transformed castle, which park guests can access with a QR code on their smartphones.

Here's an article with facts about the new castle, including that it was built from pre-fabricated modules that were inserted into place--this construction method meant that the entire transformation was completed in about 3 months (after some 4 years of design and planning)!

Last edited:

The new HK castle is really whimsical. I can see the influence of many different princesses, so it's very effective!

I have 60 minutes of walking at the park this afternoon.

635/800

I made plans to fly up to visit my brother and my new niece this weekend, so I'm going to really make an effort over the next few days to give myself the best chance I can to meet my goal this month!

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith for turning Paris DIsneyland Pink!

Hong Kong's Fantasyland is a little smaller than some of the other parks. It has several attractions that we've seen at all the other Disney parks so far:

Cinderella Carousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
it's a small world (note that HK was the first park to install Disney characters here!)
Mad Hatter Tea Cups

It also has:

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh pooh::eeyore:
Mickey's PhilharMagic :smickey:
and, as mentioned, the Royal Reception Hall for meet n greets. princess:

And one attraction that appears to be unique to HK Fantasyland:

Fairy Tale Forest, which is a walk-through attraction similar to the Storybook Land Canal Boats, in that you see miniaturized scenes from fairy tales such as Rapunzel, Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, and more. Tinkerbell also greets guests at Pixie Hollow here. This attraction opened as part of HK Disneyland's 10th anniversary in 2015.

75 minutes since my last check-in - (280/400).
Love the pictures of DLP!
An update - My husband will start on his course of treatment this week - I have such mixed feelings. Glad it's finally getting going, and hoping the next few months go quickly.

Congratulations to Bethislucy and Elizabeth Smith for turning Hong Kong Disneyland Red, to BonnieF for turning Tokyo Disneyland Purple, and to me for turning Paris Disneyland Pink!

For dining, HK Fantasyland doesn't have any sit-down restaurants. It does have two quick-service options: Clopin's Festival of Foods, inspired by The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Thai and Vietnamese), and the Royal Banquet Hall, inspired by princesses (American, Japanese, and Chinese). There also is Small World Ice Cream and outdoor carts for hot dogs, drinks, popcorn, and frozen lollipops. (I note, however, that over in Aventureland, there is the Korean squid and turkey leg cart. Now that's a combination you probably won't see in the U.S. parks!)

350 minutes since last check in - horses, walking, obe

1840/2000

We're getting so.much.rain. this week. Yesterday was in the 70s, so that was fine for the horses. Now, it's just above freezing but feels like 20s. Luckily we had a break in the rain so they could dry off before I blanketed them today. Driving out to the barn, I saw the river is already to the top of its banks. Probably over by now since it started raining again before I returned home and hasn't stopped. The barn road was starting to flood when I left, so I might not be able to get back out there until the rain stops on Friday. Luckily there's lots of high ground where we board, so the horses will not be caught in floods, at least. I am over this weather! Not surprising for February, though.

BonnieF, wishing lots of good luck to you and your husband as he starts his treatment. Hope all goes well!

Elizabeth Smith, good luck on the pushup journey. I bet you can do it! They were so much easier when I was younger. Now, I'm happy to just be able to do planks. I'm currently doing a body comp series (incremental strength program) via obe for the next few weeks (thinking I might repeat it when done, so that will add another month to those few weeks), so maybe I'll end up strong enough for push ups again one day.

Is it too late to drop out? This move is kicking my behind. Note to self: don't move the same week both of us are leaving one job and starting another, in the middle of a snow storm, while protestors are threatening to shut down the highways. :scared::scared: I just keep repeating "only 220 days until Disney" 😜

I've been writing down my numbers, even though I've been lazy about posting:

Wed-2/16 - 15
Thu-2/17 - 10
Fri-2/18 - 30
Sat-2/19 (skip)
Sun-2/20 - 20
Mon-2/21 - 25
Tue-2/22 - 10
Wed-2/23 - 25
--------------------------
total new minutes: 135

new running total: 415/500

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for turning Hong Kong Disneyland Red and to PollyannaMom for turning Paris Disneyland Pink!

OK, moving on to our last Fantasyland, and the most recent one to open: Shanghai Disney.

This seems to be the most unusual Fantasyland yet. It doesn't have Dumbo or a carousel! (Fear not, Shanghai has them, just not in Fantasyland.) And although it has a spinning ride, it isn't the Mad Tea Party; instead, it is themed to Winnie the Pooh and called Hunny Pot Spin. Like the MK, you'll find Peter Pan's Flight, the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. But like Paris, Shanghai also has an Alice in Wonderland Maze. And similar to Paris and Anaheim, the castle features a walk-through attraction telling the story of a princess--here, it's the interactive "Once Upon a Time" Adventure, focusing on Snow White.

Finally, an attraction unique to Shanghai is the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, an outdoor boat ride taking you past scenes from Disney movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter