Fantasy or wait for Treasure?

jstone15

Earning My Ears
It would be our first time on DCL and we were looking at the 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise in July of 2024 or 2025.

I wanted to get the perspective from folks, is it worth it to wait for the new Treasure boat to launch and go next year or is the Fantasy good enough? Our child is 8 this year. I was excited for the new boat and then saw it doesn’t sail in the summer this year.

I wanted to hear if there’s gonna be that much of a difference in the ship to wait a year and any pros/cons of the Fantasy vs the coming Treasure that you would recommend?

So, I have not sailed either ship....

But, I have heard the fantasy has vibration issues... For us, with little ones, and a finite amount of vacation days, I am worried about this. It is such an expensive vacation, and I am very nervous about that aspect ruining our vacation - especially given the fact that sleeping through the night in general is hardly a guarantee with infants --- let alone with vibration issues...

So we are waiting for the Treasure, and have booked an EC for June of 2025. We are very excited for it, and also plan to be on the Magic in September for our two cruises in 2025... Depending on prices and itineraries, we may swap the Magic for a November sailing, but we are very exciting.

We do have a 3 night booked on the Dream very soon... I am praying that vibrations are not an issue, we are told the issue is much worse on the fantasy, but that it has started becoming more of an issue on the dream...

Depending on how all that goes, I see us potentially only doing Magic/Wonder and Wish/Treasure... I am very unenthused about the Disney Destiny based on what we have heard so far....

I wanted to hear if there’s gonna be that much of a difference in the ship to wait a year and any pros/cons of the Fantasy vs the coming Treasure that you would recommend?
Totally different ship experience. I wouldn't worry about vibrations on the Fantasy unless you book aft. We're doing 2 Fantasy sailings in 2025; it is definitely my favorite ship.

That being said, a brand-new ship doing that itinerary will be pretty awesome. We were originally planning to do it next June, but the chance to go to Europe a bit early couldn't be missed.

TBH given that the itineraries are the same, I'd pick based on what appeals most to you - the restaurants; the layout of the pools; the up-charge dining/spa (if that's something you're interested in), etc.

Frankly, I'd rather sail sooner rather than later, but that's just the DCL-addict in me speaking. Also, if you go now, you can get a placeholder and get 10% off for next summer!

Totally different ship experience. I wouldn't worry about vibrations on the Fantasy unless you book aft. We're doing 2 Fantasy sailings in 2025; it is definitely my favorite ship.

That being said, a brand-new ship doing that itinerary will be pretty awesome. We were originally planning to do it next June, but the chance to go to Europe a bit early couldn't be missed.

TBH given that the itineraries are the same, I'd pick based on what appeals most to you - the restaurants; the layout of the pools; the up-charge dining/spa (if that's something you're interested in), etc.

Frankly, I'd rather sail sooner rather than later, but that's just the DCL-addict in me speaking. Also, if you go now, you can get a placeholder and get 10% off for next summer!
In agreement with all of this. If you stay mid/fwd on the Fantasy the vibrations aren’t an issue. I would sail on the Fantasy while she’s still doing 7n too.

We’ve sailed on the Fantasy 3 times (mid or forward) and absolutely love the Fantasy!! If it were me and I was able to go this year I’d do that.

Have done multiple Fantasy and Dream (its sister ship). Have also done the Wish a bunch (sister ship to the new Treasure).

I would totally pick the Fantasy this upcoming summer - hands down. I like the layout better, the flow of the ship better and the pools for kids and adults are better on the Fantasy in my opinion. Our kids when 8/10 loved being on the Fantasy and the kids club there.

8 is a wonderful age for a DCL sailing! I actually prefer the Fantasy over the Wish class. The Wish class is beautiful but The Fantasy just IMO is a better ship. Much better adult areas. Considering the kids clubs are amazing on both your 8 yo will have a blast. If you can swing it book the Fantasy and then get a placeholder once on board- DCL is addictive!

Echoing what others have said -- I'd do the sooner cruise and expect you may want to add the Treasure too at a later date :) I also think 8 is a really great age to go on a cruise so another reason to do sooner.

As far as Treasure vs Fantasy, they will be very different (at least as far as Disney ships go). I do think the Fantasy is easier to navigate (like, on most decks you can just keep walking straight and you'll eventually get where you need to be, vs the Wish class layout is more labyrinthine). Fantasy also has a dedicated adults district for the lounges vs the Treasure will have them spread out. I think the Fantasy's adult area is the best themed of the fleet, personally.

They’ve already got you hooked. So you don’t need to pay the extra money to be on the ship in its early days.

If you truly aren’t interested in another cruise in Disney after the Fantasy, you could be happy you didn’t pay first-years prices for the Treasure.

I am a very light sleeper and we have sailed on both the Dream and Fantasy staying in one of the extended balcony rooms at the very aft of the ship. The only time we felt vibrations was during docking and we were awake by then ready for the excitement of the day.

I highly recommend the Fantasy, it was great and an 8 year old will love the clubs - perfect age. We are hoping to do the Treasure in January, if it is ready on time.

So, I have not sailed either ship....

But, I have heard the fantasy has vibration issues... For us, with little ones, and a finite amount of vacation days, I am worried about this. It is such an expensive vacation, and I am very nervous about that aspect ruining our vacation - especially given the fact that sleeping through the night in general is hardly a guarantee with infants --- let alone with vibration issues...

So we are waiting for the Treasure, and have booked an EC for June of 2025. We are very excited for it, and also plan to be on the Magic in September for our two cruises in 2025... Depending on prices and itineraries, we may swap the Magic for a November sailing, but we are very exciting.

We do have a 3 night booked on the Dream very soon... I am praying that vibrations are not an issue, we are told the issue is much worse on the fantasy, but that it has started becoming more of an issue on the dream...

Depending on how all that goes, I see us potentially only doing Magic/Wonder and Wish/Treasure... I am very unenthused about the Disney Destiny based on what we have heard so far....
The vibration issues are overrated. I wouldn't let that stop you from booking the Fantasy. I sail the Fantasy every year and have one books this year.

is it worth it to wait for the new Treasure boat to launch and go next year or is the Fantasy good enough
The Fantasy is more than just "good enough". It's a wonderful ship. Nobody knows about the Treasure yet but I'm sure it will also be a fun time. It will certainly have its detractors since it's essentially a twin of the Wish. I'd go ahead and book the Fantasy for your sailing and then book the Treasure for your next cruise.

I agree that I would go ahead and book the Fantasy while it is still doing 7 night sailings. It is my favorite ship and I've also been on the Wish. Like others have said, you could wait to do the Treasure when the price is a little more reasonable.

Fantasy is my favorite ship! As others stated, the vibrations can be an issue aft but won't be if you book midship or forward. It'll probably be much cheaper to do the Fantasy for the Eastern Caribbean than the Fantasy, too, since she's an older ship. Unless there's something specific that you're waiting/looking for on the Treasure, I'd go Fantasy (plus then you can sail sooner, too!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter