Fantasy Menus - Grain Fed Sirloin

DreamBound23

Mouseketeer
I've noticed that 'Grain Fed Sirloin' is listed under the 'Lighter Offerings' on a few menus.

Has anyone had it? Any good? How is the portion size?

I've noticed that 'Grain Fed Sirloin' is listed under the 'Lighter Offerings' on a few menus.

Has anyone had it? Any good? How is the portion size?

You will get varying opinions on the quality. If you only eat prime steak cooked by a master chef, you may be disappointed with quality.

One thing you don't need to worry about is quantity. If you want two, order two. DCL and your DCL servers want you to leave the table full and happy. And full. Really full. They really want you full.

I might be wrong, but isn't most cattle fed grain (corn etc)? So how is that a lighter option? Everyone knows that GRASS FED cattle is the lighter option...

So I'm just confused...

Is it possible that it reads "grass-fed sirloin" instead of grain-fed? Most beef produced in the US and Canada are primarily grain-fed, so that isn't a real distinguishing factor. If it said "grass-fed", I'd be much more likely to order it because I prefer the flavor, and it's healthier to boot.

Is it possible that it reads "grass-fed sirloin" instead of grain-fed? Most beef produced in the US and Canada are primarily grain-fed, so that isn't a real distinguishing factor. If it said "grass-fed", I'd be much more likely to order it because I prefer the flavor, and it's healthier to boot.

I just checked it says grain (unless whomever posted the menu typed it incorrectly.) :confused3

The grass fed vs grain fed debate is huge, even among cattlemen. My brother has a herd of beef cattle, and they are primarily grass but supplemented with hay and some grain in the winter months. For all intents and purposes, classifying the sirloin as a "healthy option" has little to do with what the animal was fed. It's really because of the cut itself. The loin area is one if the leaner parts.

Personally, I prefer tenderloin (usually even leaner than sirloin), but I'm also very spoiled by our homegrown variety. I probably wouldn't eat steak on a ship in favor of a variety if seafood...which I can't get locally. ::yes::

The grass fed vs grain fed debate is huge, even among cattlemen. My brother has a herd of beef cattle, and they are primarily grass but supplemented with hay and some grain in the winter months. For all intents and purposes, classifying the sirloin as a "healthy option" has little to do with what the animal was fed. It's really because of the cut itself. The loin area is one if the leaner parts.

Personally, I prefer tenderloin (usually even leaner than sirloin), but I'm also very spoiled by our homegrown variety. I probably wouldn't eat steak on a ship in favor of a variety if seafood...which I can't get locally. ::yes::

Actually grass fed beef has much more omega 3s (good fat) and less omega 6 fatty acids. Grain fed is high in omega 6 and low in omega 3s which sets a person up for a rather unhealthy body. Grass is a cows natural diet, anything less and their meat will not be as healthy.

As far as the menu, it seems strange labeling it grain fed since that's the standard and nothing to brag about. Grain fed beef tastes strange to me.

Maybe they are just clarifying that it's "grain fed" for those who would ask whether it is grain-fed or grass fed? Maybe they're not suggesting it is the healthiest option (might be on the "lighter options" menu due to smaller portion size)...just providing details for clarity? :confused3

We raise our own beef and I have to differ with taste opinions. I think grass-fed beef tastes like grass. We raise ours on grass and oats, but finish them (the last 4-6 weeks) on corn. The corn makes the meat well marbled and provides wonderful flavor. I had to buy ground beef and steak at the grocery store recently because we ran out. The ground beef and it just tasted blah, but the steak actually tasted awful. I love our corn/grain fed beef and wouldn't trade it for grass-fed for anything. It may be more fatty, but that also depends on how it is processed.

Maybe they are just clarifying that it's "grain fed" for those who would ask whether it is grain-fed or grass fed? Maybe they're not suggesting it is the healthiest option (might be on the "lighter options" menu due to smaller portion size)...just providing details for clarity? :confused3

This is pretty much it. The "Lighter options" menu is not in any way for those watching their weight, it would more appropriately be named "simpler options". I think there is a steak, a chicken breast and a fish and it's basically for the diner who doesn't like all the sauces and bells and whistles.

I think it may be a lighter option due to the fact it is plain ie without a sauce, rather than because it is grain fed. Portion size may also be a factor. I think the grain fed is just stating a fact rather than promoting it.

It's definitely a matter of personal taste. I LOVE grass-fed beef, especially the variation in flavor you get from one animal to another. Corn-fed beef all tastes the same to me. :)

Here's picture of the "sirloin" on our recent cruise. My dad ordered one almost every night (along with another beef or pork option). I ordered it one night and it was okay. I agree with the poster that said if you're expecting premium steak, you'll be disappointed.

It was a consistent portion and shape every night - it always had a side with gristle and fat and then the rest of the steak was fine. There was little to no seasoning on the steak but a bit of au jus on top. It was a basic, pre-frozen, strip steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter