Fantasy having mechanical issues

it does say that air is not covered unless you purchase it through DCL.

I do understand this (now). If there was a problem with Delta or I just missed my flight on my own, no way would I expect DCL or their insurance to cover my folly. But when DCL's problem causes the ship and their earliest flight guidelines are no longer valid (again, due to their problem), I expect DCL and/or DCL's insurance to work with me.

There was not a problem with my flight, there was a problem with the cruise. And the cruise IS covered.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is a reason for the policy, but I wish the board allowed outside companies to be named. I see a lot of ***'s when people mention insurance companies they use. I know I should have fully read the DCL insurance, but being a newbie, I thought their product would be good -- and the 3rd party landscape was confusing at the time, especially with the board filtering out company names.

I wish I could see the filters... or at least knew why some of them may be blocked. lists a bunch of options - we've used that a couple of times and our next trip was insured via USAA. Getting the hundreds of reviews from sites like that may be better overall than a small subset of people. I love the DIS and definitely trust the people here, but I feel better reading from also reading a larger pool of reviews personally.

Edit: welp, thought i had seen that one listed in the past, clearly not.

Well... exactly. Thats why a good number of people on the boards get their travel insurance elsewhere so their air IS covered under one policy.

I get being mad that DCL isn't helping out, and frankly I think their PR team might want to cover some of this, but it does say that air is not covered unless you purchase it through DCL. I don't feel like you have to read the fine print - its on the summary page when you add it right at the bottom above the 'yes' box. "*Only expenses booked through Disney Cruise Line will be covered."

I would definitely keep after them to get someone to send me documentation - providing that is meaningless to DCL and everything to someone trying to make a claim!

So I'm really glad I read this, I would have assumed that the flight would have been covered by DCL insurance, especially because it costs more and so I guess with a more costly price tag, one assumes that it is better? And what I am learning here is that not only is the DCL insurance more costly than other insurance options but it's actually worse because it covers less things. If folks start to catch on to this, one would think this could really negatively impact the DCL insurance sales, literally seeing no business case to purchase it at this point (unless you opt in for the air through DCL)

I do understand this. If there was a problem with Delta or I just missed my flight on my own, no way would I expect DCL or their insurance to cover my folly. But when DCL's problem causes the ship and their guidelines are no longer valid (again, due to their problem), I expect DCL and/or DCL's insurance to work with me. It's not a problem with my flight, it's a problem with the cruise. And the cruise IS covered.

They provided you with safe passage and food while you were stuck for the couple of extra hours. How you get home isn't part of your cruise - just as it doesn't start until you step onboard so it ends the moment you step off, even if that is late. Have you tried contacting them again?

I'm not very happy hearing about this, I hope you understand. Does anyone know how they handled the fog issues in Galveston? I think that messed up timing a few times also.

When they cancelled a cruise of ours a couple months in advance they covered my change fees - if they can take extra responsibility there I would think they would take extra responsibility here too.

So I'm really glad I read this, I would have assumed that the flight would have been covered by DCL insurance, especially because it costs more and so I guess with a more costly price tag, one assumes that it is better? And what I am learning here is that not only is the DCL insurance more costly than other insurance options but it's actually worse because it covers less things. If folks start to catch on to this, one would think this could really negatively impact the DCL insurance sales, literally seeing no business case to purchase it at this point (unless you opt in for the air through DCL)

I completely agree - I don't see where it is better at all, especially if their reps just refer you to the 3rd party and won't provide documentation. Again, thats just my opinion.

How you get home isn't part of your cruise - just as it doesn't start until you step onboard so it ends the moment you step off, even if that is late.

If they didn't provide an entire webpage dedicated to travel recommendations pre- and post- cruise, I would agree with you. By providing suggested MCO departure times, in my opinion, they take responsibility for that time being possible.

Have you tried contacting them again?

I'm waiting for a response to my email. That is what the phone operator said I had to do next.

So all of this chatter has me looking at my travel insurance so that I have a good understanding of my coverage and what I can expect should the unplanned happen on our 14-day EBPC this fall.. Most importantly, what *I* should do to cover our behind insofar as obtaining documentation to make a claim, if necessary. So thank you for all that have contributed to this thread.

I was particularly dismayed at the price of the Disney provided insurance and their limitations. As a comparison, in case those care, I obtained travel insurance through my Auto/home/Investment company, USAA. After perusing the insurance company options and their benefits, I went with a particular company (PM me if you really want to know) that covers everything from cancel for any reason to trip interruption to travel delays, to baggage loss and medical. It also covers change fees, missed connections with my flights and missed itineraries (though I'll have to look at that further to understand what they mean). Anyway, we are covered for a total of $8K for the two of us and it only cost me $484. Just FYI for those that are on the fence about whether thought should comparison shop versus buy the DCL provided insurance (assuming you buy TI at all.)

Anyway, I buy TI hoping I will never need it but my risk-averse self has always felt it was best to be safe than sorry. Let's hope I chose well this time.

ETA: Whan I say covered for $8K, I mean the total price of the trip (cruise fare, flights and hotels) not limits of protection.

Last edited:
If they didn't provide an entire webpage dedicated to travel recommendations pre- and post- cruise, I would agree with you. By providing suggested MCO departure times, in my opinion, they take responsibility for that time being possible.

I'm waiting for a response to my email. That is what the phone operator said I had to do next.

Right, but its a recommendation not an underwritten guarantee. Under normal circumstances there would be no reason to miss flights at that time - unless something happens. Technically I could fly in the day of and board according to Disney but its considered risky for a reason. We always fly in a day ahead to make sure travel delays won't make us miss the ship!

It will be a few more days before DCL responds, but I keep thinking about the following, right from DCL's transportation page (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/):
  • Earliest departure time from Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
I followed their rules and gave myself an hour to spare. And I purchased their insurance. We were also sailing concierge, so we knew we would make it off the ship quick (and we were using a towncar to get to MCO).

My bottom line: If they give guidance on when a flight should be made, they should be responsible when THEIR error makes that flight time impossible. They could have said 3pm and I would have no argument. Or said nothing at all about when to schedule your return flights. But DCL chose to state 11:30 AM as the earliest safe flight time.
I cannot believe you were concierge and they didn't take care of this on the spot for you. They also have a relationship with Delta and I almost wonder if they could not have just gotten the fees waived.

I cannot believe you were concierge and they didn't take care of this on the spot for you.

The concierge hosts were doing a great job that morning, but they were way too overworked to try and help someone who didn't book flights via DCL. And they were closed by the time the delay was announced.

I know this is only $600, but my wife was insistent that we book an 11-night cruise in the same suite (we clearly loved our cruise). The price... $40K. And I won't book it until this is resolved, solely because of principle. That said, I'm sure the room will be booked even if I continue to refuse in protest, DCL doesn't seem to be in need of customers at any pricing level.

They also have a relationship with Delta and I almost wonder if they could not have just gotten the fees waived.

I read reports that Delta did waive the fees for some and knew about the problem. We called Delta a total of 3 times (twice since we got home) and made zero progress with getting them to remove or lower the fee. $150 a ticket seems so totally excessive considering a) we changed the flight at 1am and b) the original flight we were on was oversold. But I don't want to sidetrack into airline tactics...

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there. If your flight on the way to the cruise gets cancelled because of mechanical problems and you miss your cruise the airline won't pay for your cruise.

If Delta provided public, offical information as to when to make flights to safely reach the cruise, they would likely be liable for you missing the cruise. Especially if you purchased the insurance they offer.

But no airline would be so cavalier as to officially suggest flight times to make sure you don't miss your cruise.

Last edited:
Just FYI ....... American treated us very well.

We had no cruise insurance and no flight insurance. After the initial announcement, we just enjoyed the evening. It was obvious to me that we would not make our 11:45am flight, but there was not a lot I could do about it. Disney had "checked us in" and we were unable to change flights that evening or morning on the American Airlines app. I used my "free 50 mb" from embarkation day. We never did put our bags out (and I'm so glad we kept them - something just wasn't right).

We enjoyed the morning and watched Beauty and the Beast! I didn't call them until we entered the channel and had some cell service around 10:30am. They changed our flight to 5pm and waived all fees. We enjoyed the ship and disembarked leisurely after the "mad house" downstairs. We got through customs and to the bus quickly and arrived at MCO with plenty of time. We did have 2 flights (short layover in Phoenix). We arrived home about 4 1/2 hours after our original arrival time. Could have been much worse, but I must say, American Airlines came through for us. Lots of lessons learned.

I do understand the frustration being expressed here. It's not easy to deal with change when we have our plans so set in stone. The key is flexibility. It was an "adventure" for us. Created great memories.

I stayed out of this as long as I could. Don't misunderstand me. I feel bad for your experience, and I certainly hope Disney helps you out.

The thing to me is, we KNOW delays happen on a regular basis. The ship, the plane, the car, the weather, family members, illness, job loss, can all cause delays at the last minute. That is why so many people here on this message board always arrive a day early, even though DCL says you can arrive on the same day. A lot of us (myself included) leave a day after too. Just in case. Less hectic and more flexible.

I just think that by EXPECTING to be covered, it encourages people to "risk it" and book flights just before and just after the cruise. This is risky. Sure. Many do it and most are fine, but things do happen and the message we need to send is that it is a risk, and if you are going to take the risk, you need to be prepared for the risk to not pay off. If everyone thought the risk would be bourn by others, certainly more people will take the risk. The risk you take, is your own.

It will be a few more days before DCL responds, but I keep thinking about the following, right from DCL's transportation page (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/):
  • Earliest departure time from Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
I followed their rules and gave myself an hour to spare. And I purchased their insurance. We were also sailing concierge, so we knew we would make it off the ship quick (and we were using a towncar to get to MCO).

My bottom line: If they give guidance on when a flight should be made, they should be responsible when THEIR error makes that flight time impossible. They could have said 3pm and I would have no argument. Or said nothing at all about when to schedule your return flights. But DCL chose to state 11:30 AM as the earliest safe flight time.

This is about using their bus to get your luggage to the airport. It says that for flights earlier than this DCL can't guarantee that your luggage and you will make it on time, and thus flights before this time can't participate in the program. It does not guarantee the reverse, that after this time you will ALWAYS make it on time. There is no way they would guarantee this. Also, it clearly uses the word "guideline" not the word "guarantee."

If there was a problem with Delta or I just missed my flight on my own, no way would I expect DCL or their insurance to cover my folly. But when DCL's problem causes the ship and their earliest flight guidelines are no longer valid (again, due to their problem), I expect DCL and/or DCL's insurance to work with me.

I try to avoid making analogies, but in this case, I will use yours. If the flight was late, would you expect the airline to pay for your cruise?

Again, I am very sorry that you had this problem and I hope it works out for you. But for others that come after you, I hope the message is clear: Get Trip insurance (preferably from an outside vender), know what it covers and what it doesn't (the fine print is confusing, but the insurance person I talked to on the phone was very clear), and whenever possible, come a day early and leave a day late. Delays DO happen, often, and for many reasons. Best thing is to be ready for it.

All the best!

Last edited:
The thing to me is, we KNOW delays happen on a regular basis. The ship, the plane, the car, the weather, family members, illness, job loss, can all cause delays at the last minute. That is why so many people here on this message board always arrive a day early, even though DCL says you can arrive on the same day. A lot of us (myself included) leave a day after too. Just in case. Less hectic and more flexible.
That is the part that I disagree with. Customers should not expect that the very expensive cruise that they pay for will be delayed on a regular basis (and that is not the case). To expect that all passengers should arrive a day early and stay a day later just to ensure that they are covered in case of DCL's delays is not reasonable. Although I always arrive a day early and leave a lot of cushion for departure (or many times drive such that it is not an issue), I would never expect that every family should incur those additional expenses and time commitments for fear of DCL not being able to meet its schedule or obligations. I know all of us here love Disney, but some of the arguments I have seen against those inconvenienced by the mechanical issue would not be the same we would see if the company were Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian, etc. DCL needs to be held to a high standard of customer service as well and not given a pass when they had hiccups.

This is about using their bus to get your luggage to the airport. It says that for flights earlier than this DCL can't guarantee that your luggage and you will make it on time, and thus flights before this time can't participate in the program. It does not guarantee the reverse, that after this time you will ALWAYS make it on time. There is no way they would guarantee this. Also, it clearly uses the word "guideline" not the word "guarantee."

It's a recommendation, sure. But it doesn't say ANYTHING about it being specific to their bus and luggage. Here is the full paragraph:

Please allow ample time for all your travel connections. We recommend the following flight-time guidelines:

• Latest arrival time to Orlando International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:45 PM
source: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/

I try to avoid making analogies, but in this case, I will use yours. If the flight was late, would you expect the airline to pay for your cruise?

If Delta told me when to make my flights, I bought their insurance, and they had a Delta-faulted (mechanical) delay that prevented me from boarding the cruise then you bet I would expect them to pay. Of course, Delta (nor most companies) would provide official, recommended flight times.

Again, I am very sorry that you had this problem and I hope it works out for you. But for others that come after you, I hope the message is clear: Get Trip insurance (preferably from an outside vender), know what it covers and what it doesn't (the fine print is confusing, but the insurance person I talked to on the phone was very clear), and whenever possible, come a day early and leave a day late. Delays DO happen, often, and for many reasons. Best thing is to be ready for it.

All the best!

I'm not begrudging you or anyone who doesn't agree with my position, but if we should be expecting a day delay, then DCL should not be recommending flights at 11:30 on disembarkation day.

Last edited:
That is the part that I disagree with. Customers should not expect that the very expensive cruise that they pay for will be delayed on a regular basis (and that is not the case). To expect that all passengers should arrive a day early and stay a day later just to ensure that they are covered in case of DCL's delays is not reasonable. Although I always arrive a day early and leave a lot of cushion for departure (or many times drive such that it is not an issue), I would never expect that every family should incur those additional expenses and time commitments for fear of DCL not being able to meet its schedule or obligations. I know all of us here love Disney, but some of the arguments I have seen against those inconvenienced by the mechanical issue would not be the same we would see if the company were Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian, etc. DCL needs to be held to a high standard of customer service as well and not given a pass when they had hiccups.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree on this point.

Personally, if I am traveling a great distance for ANY reason that is important to me, I try to leave extra time for things to happen. Job interview in another city? Come a day early. Graduation for my child? Come a day early. Etc. I'm not saying this out of a love for DCL. To me, it just makes sense. If you want to make sure something happens (especially something that happens over a great distance) you allow for unexpected issues. Does it cost extra? Sure. But to me, that is better than the risk of missing the event. If you'd rather take the risk, fine. But it is your risk. You feel it is a small risk. Fine. Take the risk. No problem. But when you say that DCL should have to make sure everyone gets where they are going or DCL should pay the difference, to me that just makes DCL charge (all of us) even higher fares.

Dang. I wanted to stay out of this.

Personally, if I am traveling a great distance for ANY reason that is important to me, I try to leave extra time for things to happen. Job interview in another city? Come a day early. Graduation for my child? Come a day early. Etc. I'm not saying this out of a love for DCL. To me, it just makes sense. If you want to make sure something happens (especially something that happens over a great distance) you allow for unexpected issues. Does it cost extra? Sure. But to me, that is better than the risk of missing the event. If you'd rather take the risk, fine. But it is your risk. You feel it is a small risk. Fine. Take the risk. No problem. But when you say that DCL should have to make sure everyone gets where they are going or DCL should pay the difference, to me that just makes DCL charge (all of us) even higher fares.

Dang. I wanted to stay out of this.

I'm not trying to drag you into this. ;-) But I did come a day early (3 actually in WDW). All your examples are about not arriving on time. There is no way a DCL fault could have made me arrive late, so I would never expect DCL to cover that.

If I didn't follow DCL's recommendation return flight, I get that I am taking a risk. I made our return flight based solely on their recommendation. I bought their insurance, thinking if something went wrong with the cruise (it did), I would be covered.

I'll try to wait until I see DCL's response before I post again... but you never know. ;-)

Of course, Delta (nor most companies) would provide official, recommended flight times.

See, I don't agree with this line of reasoning at all either. This reasoning leads a lot of companies not to provide advice or guidance or warnings about things they have plenty of experience with because their lawyers tell them they it could get them in trouble.

So you are saying the problem isn't that DCL was late or that you missed your flight, but that DCL posted a guideline, which you followed, and it didn't work out (this time), so it is their fault. For posting a guideline? I can't agree with that. People want to know APPROXIMATELY what time is too early. DCL gives them that. As you say, it is just a guideline. I just don't see how you can take that as a guarantee and expect them to pay for the risk you took because of that guideline.

I'm not trying to drag you into this. ;-) But I did come a day early (3 actually in WDW). All your examples are about not arriving on time. There is no way a DCL fault could have made me arrive late, so I would never expect DCL to cover that.

If I didn't follow DCL's recommendation return flight, I get that I am taking a risk. But I made my return flight based on their recommendation. And I bought their insurance, thinking if something went wrong with the cruise (it did), I would be covered.

No problem. I'm really just trying to help future people not make the same inference that a guideline from DCL means there is no risk to the passenger.

As for the insurance, that is a straight misunderstanding, and I totally get why it is frustrating. The DCL insurance clearly says that it doesn't cover the flights unless booked through them, but I can understand that you didn't realize that and it was a shock when you did find out. As others have said, DCL insurance really is less coverage for more money, and fewer remedies, which is why we also try to tell people about 3rd party insurance. The only selling point about DCL insurance is that it is easy to get. Check a box. Turns out 3rd party insurance isn't hard either, but I wouldn't have know that if my sister didn't turn me on to it a few years ago for a different trip we took.

My fingers are crossed for a good outcome for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter