• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasy - First time Concierge trip report

Spacecoaster

Earning My Ears
My wife and I went on our 10th Disney cruise on Nov. 28th, we have only cruised on Disney and this was our first cruise on Concierge level. We have loved cruising with Disney and have never considered other cruise lines. I've never posted before, but have found other posts to be very informative and enlightening. I ended up capturing some of our experiences during the week on my iPad and thought that it may be beneficial to others that are considering concierge cruising. Some of the notes are related to covid impact, which is still admittedly is affecting all the cruise lines. From our cruise director and other CMs, there were 1800 guests on our cruise, down from 2400 on Thanksgiving week. Expected passenger count after the first of the year is going to rise to 3100 as they ramp back to 'normal'. Because of the terrific service we have had on prior Disney cruises, we admittedly had higher expectations of what a concierge cruise would be like. It turned out for us that because of a mix of things that happened during the week that we were disappointed in the value we received. I'm trying to be fair in this post (both good and not so good) and purposely waited a couple days after the cruise before posting. From my iPad notes:
1. The room was awesome! We were in 11014, which was roomy, 2 bathrooms, TVs everywhere, super clean and had the best room attendants we've ever had. There were outlets everywhere so we were not fighting over who got to charge what during the day. 3 closets, numerous drawers, double wide balcony and a table to eat at. The room was so good that it overwhelmed the bad stuff that happened.
2. 3 of 4 of our luggage pieces were misplaced and didn't make it to the room until close to 5pm. Our onboard clothes became what we wore to dinner because we had early seating. Once we notified the one of the room attendants around 4pm they found it down on deck 1. When were leaving we had a porter help us with getting the luggage back to the car and he told us that since covid they are no longer allowed on the ship to help deliver the luggage to the different decks. He said that they always prioritized delivery to decks 11 and 12 (the concierge room decks) and he asked us if we got our delivery on time - so we got to tell him our story.
3. For concierge lunch on the first day, we got to go to one of the main dining rooms instead of Cabanas. The host sat my wife and I at a table for 8, the servers wondered if other people were coming to meet us. When we said no, they asked us why we were sat at a big table. We had no idea. The lunch was great.
4. We went to lunch on Wednesday at Royal Court because they had apple strudel for dessert (it is the best, we always try to find it on any cruise). The host asked our room number for seating and we heard another host whisper in his ear- "Concierge" and we were promptly seated right next to a busy server station in a half empty dining area. We had butts in our faces when they got busy. About 10 feet away was a nice table for 2 that another party got seated at about 10 minutes later. The servers were delightful and we ended up enjoying lunch even with the occasional chair bumps. I do not complain (except, I guess in this post), but this stood out as one of the odd moments during the week.
5. Our assigned servers for evening dining were a low point, again I don't like to complain because it is their livelihood and I don't want cause trouble for them. To be fair, there was a party of 8 in the groups they were also serving that were very demanding - they celebrated the same lady's birthday at every dinner during the week and were constantly talking to the head server and even some white jacket staff on a couple evenings. I felt bad for the servers, but our service was no different than a local chain restaurant (our son works for a restaurant). Things like forgetting who ordered what food at our table (we quietly swapped dishes after they left) a few times, and mangling my lobster trying to get it out of the shell - telling me "You can get it out, they get tough when they've been baked for a while". The main server didn't remember my wife's name for most of the week. We have enjoyed getting to know a little about our serving staff on past cruises beyond small talk but we knew absolutely nothing about our servers this time, they spent very little time at our table beyond setting/clearing plates and dinner ware. The head server spent time assisting them several nights as well, something we had never seen before.
6. Concierge services were not that magical - at least for the couple areas we asked for assistance. The lightning lane to get on the boat was nice but with the reduced passenger count the lines were not long for getting on or off the boat. We had a tasting scheduled on Castaway day that we tried to reschedule for another port day and they were unable to find 2 slots so my wife and I could attend so we ended up cancelling altogether. We were able to schedule a rainforest spa session and my wife says not to tell anybody about it so we can go again next time. It was just the 2 of us for 1 hour and 45 minutes of pure delight.
7. Getting off the boat on Castaway day was chaos. Virtual queues were either not working or not being followed. Total breakdown of social distancing with people jammed shoulder to shoulder. We were even a little better off because our concierge was able to get us to deck 1 on the express elevator. It was a mess with people shoving and showing general disregard for other families while trying to get off the ship. We were also late to dock because of weather which made people even more impatient.
8. As mentioned above, Concierge services were not much value to us, although others seemed to require their attention frequently and probably do see value. The concierge area on deck 13 was nice although it sometimes got as loud as a playground. Great hot tub, but no ocean view. There was a drink cart that came through the hallways most evenings before dinner that was nice and there were free drinks in the lounge in the evening but we ended up buying drinks in the Tube during the entertainment there (the "Match your Mate host was hilarious). We just felt that the extra thousands of dollars we spent to upgrade to concierge did not provide the equivalent amount of value to us. I am not sure if we will use concierge again, but would certainly have lower expectations next time. It would also be nice if there were a simple list of things that the concierge team can help with and what their limitations are - would help with first timers like us. We had no idea what could be asked for - probably our fault for not asking.
9. Shows in the Walt Disney theatre were spread out such that there were 2 nights of the same show in order that everybody would get to see them. Alternate seating rows were blocked off and families had to be spaced 3 seats apart so it was fairly inefficient. I felt bad for the CMs that assisted/directed seating, Long lines formed outside the theatre before every show and at some point people had to be turned away and told to come back the next night after standing in line for a while. This is very different from past non-covid cruises we've been on when there were more shows and you could show up at the last minute and still get a seat. We saw Aladdin, Frozen, and Believe. The actor who plays Genie/Olaf is a national treasure. We have seen him on multiple cruises and he never has an off night. Dr. Greenaway in Believe was also terrific. As for the rest of the shows, something was a little off that we can't put our finger on, maybe it was the smaller spread out seating, not sure. We've seen more energy in our local community theatre for some reason.
10. Comment card - the last night of the cruise there are frequent reminders to return the comment card. One was not left in our room and we actually felt like we could provide something beyond the string of "excellent" marks in the past comment cards so we went to guest services to see if they had some extras. Guest services was really busy and there was a crew member standing alone so I asked him if we could get one. He first asked our room number then went to speak to another crew member after saying "Give me a hot second". He returned in a minute and said that they were making a phone call and our concierge team would make sure we got one. It turned into a much bigger production than we intended - I suggest they keep a stack of cards in the atrium somewhere.

I know this was long, but hope was of some value to you if you are deciding whether to cruise while covid protocols are still in force or considering a concierge upgrade. We overall love Disney and have 2 cruises planned on the Wish next year. Happy cruising!

Thank you for sharing your experience. We sail concierge on the Fantasy in January, so I found your information helpful.

It is disappointing to hear about your dining team. We had a great experience with our servers on the Dream in 2020. We met our server on the first day at the concierge lunch and Alan was fantastic. We are hoping for a similar experience as I feel that the dining team really adds to the experience. So I understand you listing that as a low point.

Thanks for your very frank report. We had a similar reaction when we sailed in the Roy suite on the Magic a few years ago. Our server was more interested in the next table - would even forget to come and take our orders. On other DCL cruises the servers have been beyond fantastic. We also found that we did not use special concierge services so have gone back to booking regular cabins and taking advantage of the many benefits and great service that DCL offers every guest.

Great report and I really appreciate your personal touches and opinions with really fair context too. We too are considering our first Concierge upgrade and your experience was great timing.

Thanks for sharing...we were on this cruise but did not sail concierge (never have doubt I ever will do to 2 for 1 cruise thing). I would be a little put off as well if this was the service I had anywhere on the boat regardless of what room.
We had a different experience with many things that seem to have put ur trip on the list of not "Great".
1st our luggage was at our door when we went to it for the 1st time to grab our key to the world cards (around 230 I believe) this was the earliest by far we have seen our luggage (Platinum cruiser).
2nd we had late seating and when we went to all of the 3 shows we waited at most 60 seconds before they were taking us to our seats, the Frozen show is the only one I noticed maybe full and , but I think there were still seats. I will add for the movies it was hit or miss, some full some not, I did not do any of the marvel movies which I heard were always full.
3rd our dinning staff was one of the best ever, they said hi to us at cabanas when we saw them, brought us drinks there even. They even knew what we liked to eat and suggested things each night that we never tried, truly amazing. Also our Palo server was so good that I will request him again, memorable.
4th the Castaway Cay virtual Queue simply broke. No one could get it to work, lots of people complaining and at Guest Services...so what happened was Disney said just get off the boat...I was 185 in the queue and waiting, then I got an alert that said make your way to level 1 as you will be up soon, not even 5 seconds later I got a alert that said your up. well this created what the OP talked about, mass chaos to get off.
5th Our comment card was in our room sooner then ever before. This was also the 1st time no one ever said to us anything about getting 10's etc, normally we hear a little of that from our server or room person, so this was a positive change for us.

Thanks again for sharing, it sounds like you had a decent cruise but not the best and if I was Concierge I would expect better then normal for sure.

It's always hard when there is a large, demanding table nearby. My parents and I were on the Magic in 2018 (not concierge) and our section had our table, a table for another family of 3, and a large table of at least 8, but possibly 10-12. The first 4 nights were fine - we saw our main server a lot more than our assistant. The last night, our main server was quarantined for a stomach bug so we had a sub. Well, from how I was seated I could see that our missing server had kept that large table in check and they were running roughshod over the sub and our assistant. One person would request another drink and the assistant would note that others had only a sip or two left and ask if they wanted another also. He'd be told "No, we're fine" but as soon as he came back with the one, he'd have to go out for another one or two. The kids were as demanding as the adults - one in particular would pitch a fit as soon as his ketchup was no longer in a Mickey shape - so every time he dipped a fry in it. It was really over the top demanding and acting as if they were the only people the servers were there for. FINALLY our head waiter figured out that my table and the other table had barely been serviced and he jumped in and got things moving. But it was stressful timing-wise as it was the final night and we'd wanted to get our dress clothes in the luggage before putting them out - so my mom and I ended up getting my dad's dessert to go.

We have sailed DCL concierge 4 times including once in the Roy suite on the Dream, i don’t think I’ll go back to concierge on DCL after experiencing the NCL Haven. It was wonderful! and well worth the money. Thank you for your review which will help others decide if it’s something they wish to spend money on. Funny story, we also were concierge and got seated right beside the galley door. Noisy! Busy! Surely the dining team gets a list of concierge diners when they make out the seating assignments?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter