Fantasmic Dinner Package or Dessert Party?

wvjules

DIS Veteran
Fantasmic is my favorite show at Disney. I am trying to decide between the dinner package or the Dessert and VIP Viewing Experience. Is the seating comparable for both? Is the Dessert package worth it for $39 per person?

We did the dessert party last time. It really isn't necessary I don't think. It was Thanksgiving night, the park was busy, but there was still seating when it started. The reason we chose the dessert party and not the dinner package is we didn't want to have to eat before 330 or 430 (I can't remember the exact time). They don't allow you to book the dining package at prime dinner time.

In saying all of that, we enjoyed the dessert party. You get to sit up close. There was lots of space up front when we arrived but we chose to sit back farther because we wanted to try and make the Jingle Bam show (we didn't make it) and also we didn't want to get wet. We got an alcoholic drink that was okay/pretty good. The kids got a drink that was some sort of kool-aid type thing. You get to take the light up cups with you. They give you an already made up box of goodies and big plastic bags to take them home if you weren't going to eat it all. You also got a glowy lanyard. It was fun. We thought it was worth, but everyone is different.
upload_2019-3-6_11-34-55.png

Last edited:
The seating area is exactly the same for both.

It's not a "dinner" package, it's a "dining" package. The times available are breakfast (at H&V), lunch, and early dinner (maybe, depending on time of Fantasmic).

Personally, I'd rather get a full meal at Mama Melrose for about the same price as the dessert box you get for the Dessert VIP.

Agree with above, Mama Melrose is around 45 dollars for a full meal so I'd rather pay that for my dinner that includes dessert rather than just dessert.

For the dessert party, you get a little box of desserts & a drink to bring to your seat. It’s not buffet style like the other dessert parties. So, if the quality and/or quantity of the food is important to you, then the dining package is definitely best. (I preferred Hollywood Derby over Mama Melrose but we are just 2 adults). However, the reason I now prefer the dessert party is that I don’t want to be tied down by a dining reservation. I want to keep running around until it’s almost time for Fantasmic. There is no wrong decision though since all roads lead to reserved seating to Fantasmic :D

We do the dining package at Mama Melrose for lunch. We rope drop, do most of what we want to do before 1:00, eat at MM, catch a show or two and head back to the resort to rest and swim before grabbing Quick service for dinner and heading back to HS for Fantasmic.

I’ve done the dining package twice. I wasn’t crazy about MM and enjoyed HBD, but thought that it was pretty expensive for what I could order (I’m a vegetarian). I have no desire to eat at H&V. So for me, the dessert package is perfect. It allows me to sit front and center in the best sections of the theater and enjoy a super sweet alcoholic beverage while I wait for the show to start. I usually take the box back to my room and snack from it there. I enjoy the experience so much that it was a must book for my trip in May. And I’ll likely keep booking it as long as it’s offered.

I just reserved the Fantasmic Dining Package at the Brown Derby. I was kind of surprised there was no charge taken immediately, like the Illuminations Dining Package. I do have the reservation and they do have Fantasmic mentioned in the name of the reservation. Is this the right one?

I think this may have changed or vary by season as we have a 6:10pm package at H&V booked for mid-June. Just sharing for info.

I am glad it is like that now. Thank you for saying. I will look for that next time as we really enjoy Fantasmic.

We did the Fantasmic dining package and booked H&V for a 5pm reservation last September. My family, we had 6 adults and 1 child, really liked doing that as we got to have our dinner set beforehand and then be able to leisurely head over to the show. We also loved being able to see the characters there, like Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy, in their Halloween costumes

My travel party nixed both ideas. I should do the dessert party on my own and let them fend for themselves.

I just reserved the Fantasmic Dining Package at the Brown Derby. I was kind of surprised there was no charge taken immediately, like the Illuminations Dining Package. I do have the reservation and they do have Fantasmic mentioned in the name of the reservation. Is this the right one?

Yes, I have a Fantasmic Dining Package as well but for Mama Melrose. They did not charge my card.

Thanks SinCity! I was gonna do Mama Melrose but could not get the time slot I wanted.

You can always keep checking back especially when it's a few days prior until when you are planning to dine. You'll be surprised at how many people cancel various types of ADR's just a few days out. I've gotten some of the really hard to get ADR's a few days out just by checking.

We did the dessert party last time. It really isn't necessary I don't think. It was Thanksgiving night, the park was busy, but there was still seating when it started. The reason we chose the dessert party and not the dinner package is we didn't want to have to eat before 330 or 430 (I can't remember the exact time). They don't allow you to book the dining package at prime dinner time.

In saying all of that, we enjoyed the dessert party. You get to sit up close. There was lots of space up front when we arrived but we chose to sit back farther because we wanted to try and make the Jingle Bam show (we didn't make it) and also we didn't want to get wet. We got an alcoholic drink that was okay/pretty good. The kids got a drink that was some sort of kool-aid type thing. You get to take the light up cups with you. They give you an already made up box of goodies and big plastic bags to take them home if you weren't going to eat it all. You also got a glowy lanyard. It was fun. We thought it was worth, but everyone is different.
View attachment 386788

Is there much difference in Booking the 8 or 8:20?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter