• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family trip Shirts

gskywalker

DIS Veteran
I have been looking all over trying to find where we can get family tank tops printed with out names, funny quotes, etc that are disney related. Pinterest and Etsy have tonnes but they are all in the states and will cost a tonne in exchange, duty and shipping. Has anyone found somewhere that produces good shirts and has designs already? Or maybe where we could come up with a design? We are hoping to use the shirts to surprise our 4 kids with the trip on our 10 year old's bday(1 month before the trip), as well as use them down there obviously. "Help me Obi-Wan Kinob.... I mean disboards, you're my only hope."

Last edited:
Do you have anyone who could do up a graphic for you? If so, Vistaprint.ca is a good bet. They often run sales etc. We did this for our DCL cruise last summer and we were happy with the resulting product and thrilled with the price. We just did the basic tshirt though, not sure if they have a tank top.

Random ...have you ever had anything shipped to the resort to meet you there?? always a thought for an extra surprise ??

There is also the option of the design a tee store in Disney Springs. You choose character, font and words. Very cool :-)

Cafe Press is good too, and they have coupons all the time. Another idea is to make your own transfers but that can get pricey too. Michaels in Canada has the transfer paper that you can print on and then you just iron it on. you can use photos or fonts or a combo of both just so long as you figure out how to print them backwards (because when you iron on it is the opposite)

As for having them shipped to the resort or buy them down there, it won't serve the purpose of our surprise to tell them a month before we go. As for doing a graphic, we have thought of that, the concern being that the print shops want us to ensure the image isn't copyrighted and I have no idea how to ensure that anything we did would be ok. Please keep the suggestions, etc. coming.

Hi,

Since you mentioned that the shipping, duty and handling costs can get expensive from the States. May I ask where you are traveling from? :jester:

I would see if you have a local Homemade group on facebook- we have a local group that has a lot of work at home moms that make these type shirts in vinyl or embroidery all the time, and because they are local you just pick up instead of having to ship them. You could also check for people advertising on Kijiji :)

I made my own! The seller on Etsy emailed the image to me and I printed it on transfer paper and ironed it on. They turned out great and were super cheap and easy!!

image.jpeg

thanks all. I don't have a printer to print them on. Going to try to post what I need to one of the dis designers and then take the image to a print shop to print them on our sleeveless shirts. As for kijiji, actually I will take a quick look there first just in case.

thanks all. I don't have a printer to print them on. Going to try to post what I need to one of the dis designers and then take the image to a print shop to print them on our sleeveless shirts. As for kijiji, actually I will take a quick look there first just in case.

Just a heads up, some local print shops may have an issue if your shirt design is "very" Disney ... for example it includes an obvious Disney logo ... due to licensing and trdemarks and copyright, etc. Out of the three shops in my area, 2 were fine with printing the design, one was not (didn't like that I had the word Disney in Disney font).

You should also know that your local printer may not be willing to print on a shirt you provide; they may require you to purchase from them. (This is likely due to how their equipment works with different fabrics, etc.)

Finally, even though you would be prividing the artwork, the shop will likely need to work with the file so that it prints as expected on their equipment ... so you are likely looking at some sort of artwork/setup fee in addition to a cost per shirt.

To give you an idea, the quotes I got from local places last summer (for a total of 8 shirts) ranged from $240 to $300 CAD (plus HST). We ended up paying less than $120 CAD (taxes and shipping included) through Vistaprint. (I'm not trying to push the company on you, just sharing my experience.)

oh ok, so vistaprint, is it a CDN company(for duty and taxes), and do they have any kind of disney vacation print? I really am pretty easy with it, just want our names, a mickey head on a sleeveless shirt for 7 of us. PS I see you are in Northern Ontario, is it the real north or something like Bracebridge(ie Northern ontario for GTA'ers). I grew up in Timmins and Hearts.

Last edited:
oh ok, so vistaprint, is it a CDN company(for duty and taxes), and do they have any kind of disney vacation print? I really am pretty easy with it, just want our names, a mickey head on a sleeveless shirt for 7 of us. PS I see you are in Northern Ontario, is it the real north or something like Bracebridge(ie Northern ontario for GTA'ers). I grew up in Timmins and Hearts.

I ordered from www.vistaprint.ca - prices were quoted and paid in Canadian funds. I think the parent company is from the US though ... all this meant for me was I got an extra email breaking down the tax potion.

You upload your own graphic to the vistaprint site and they print it. I think they also have graphic designers you can talk to, but I"ve never used them, so not at all sure how that works. The instructions are all on the site about what file format and file sizes you should upload ... so if you did get someone on say Etsy to do it for you, then you would just upload the files they send you to vistaprint.

There's also a "low tech" option depending on how crafty you are ... I've created shirts for us using cardboard stencils and Sharpie markers. (Bought the cheap $5 t-shirts from Michael's)
They shirts probably wouldn't hold up after a few washing, but if you want them more for a "one time photo op in the parks" kinda thing, it is an option.

A slightly more challenging option would be to purchase iron-on letters and a sheet of iron on black paper that you could cut the mickey heads out of ... no experience with that myself.

PS Small world, I'm from the Timmins area ... born and raised, so the REAL north for sure!! :)

Are you crafty? If you have a cricut, you could make a iron-on or get the printable iron-ons and make the slogans from that. You can even get letters that iron on and do it that way. Lots of options in your friendly craft store aisles.

ugh, got the design done from one of the dis designers. Contacted a couple of shops that said the mickey ears were disney protected. Don't have a color printer for iron ons, plus surprisingly trying to find blank sleeveless shirts(our family agrees tshirts will be too hot in florida) is quite challenging.

What about getting the iron ons printed at your local Staples (self serve) ... can they be printed on a laser or does it need to be inkjet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter