Family Style Question WRT Allergies/Preferences

Adventureland

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this answer is elsewhere, I couldn't find it. I'm a bit confused with family style stuff and started to get concerned-

If I am the only one in my party with a food allergy, does everyone get brought out the allergy platter, or can they bring out a platter for me along with the normal one?
Similarly, if we have a vegetarian and the rest of us eat meat, can they get brought out a veggie platter and we all eat from the normal one? Or is it one platter for the whole table?

Pre-Covid answer, but we were always brought the allergy and vegan plates in addition to the regular offerings, not instead of. We've dined several times at family style places with different groups and this has been the case at all of them. I have a shellfish allergy, my daughter has a treenut allergy, and my friend is a vegan. Then we have other family members with none of those concerns. It is sometimes table tetris, but unless you ask for the allergy or plant based items exclusively, you should get it all.

Pre-Covid answer, but we were always brought the allergy and vegan plates in addition to the regular offerings, not instead of. We've dined several times at family style places with different groups and this has been the case at all of them. I have a shellfish allergy, my daughter has a treenut allergy, and my friend is a vegan. Then we have other family members with none of those concerns. It is sometimes table tetris, but unless you ask for the allergy or plant based items exclusively, you should get it all.

I'd agree with this. A non-gluten-free friend and I had breakfast at 'Ohana a couple of years ago. We each got little skillets of our own - mine with the allergy-friendly stuff and hers with the normal stuff.

DH (celiac disease) and I (no food allergies) aren't big eaters and hate to waste food, but we still like the menu at some of the family-style places. At some venues the main platter is inherently gluten-free (Whispering Canyon), and they bring gluten-free and regular rolls on separate dishes. At Garden Grill, they put all the items (meat, veggies) that were gluten-free on one plate that we shared and brought the other items that would normally be on the platter but that DH couldn't have (stuffing) on separate dishes. When we order we explain to the server what we're trying to do, and they're always great about it. The one exception was one breakfast at Whispering Canyon where they brought a regular and a gluten-free platter and we barely got through half of it.

Yes, pre-covid they gave my peanut allergy daughter who own offerings. The rest of us had the sharing plates of regular menu. Sometimes we were jealous because she got some amazing stuff and a LOT of it.

I was there in April with a friend's with a tree nut allergy. They brought separate items for each of us, so you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

They usually separate it based on allergy/diet. Chef Mickeys dinner was the only recent time this didn’t happen so that was really upsetting.

We ate at Garden Grill in April. They brought a separate plate for my dairy allergic son! 😊

We were there about a month ago and had family style dinners at Cape May, Crystal Palace (kind of), and Liberty Tree Tavern, as well as a breakfast at Chef Mickeys.

I am celiac and in each place brought out a separate platter just for me that had everything gluten free on it. They each even brought me out a separate dessert plate. At Cape May and Chef Mickeys, the chef came out without being asked to go over everything with me. The other places offered, but I did not care to see the chef.

Also, at Oga's the manager came out with a tablet and went through the different drink options I was considering and showed me the ingredient list to make sure I was ok. Then with the food/appetizers, they put everything containing gluten on a separate plate and put it at the other end of the table.

Overall I could not have been more impressed. I had absolutely no issues at any TS or QS meal the entire time I was there. Disney does an excellent job with food allergies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter