Family of Seven...Your pick for best budget resort?

jamioday001

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
We'll be heading to Disney, in mid-January 2018. We have five children (13, 11, 8, 6, & 4). They are flexible, and used to traveling in close quarters. We won't need a large space. I do understand we're too large for a suite.
We've been a few times.
We'd like to be as budget-friendly as possible on this trip, so saving money would be priority. We also think we really prefer to stay on-site. I've never done anything else and am just not sure I would want to go that route! ;) Open to ideas though.
Let me know what ideas everyone has on your absolute favorite budget hotel idea, including specific locations of hotel if applicable. I'd say we'd like quiet and peaceful setting, but still close to the bus!
Thanks for any tips.

Since Pop is renovating their rooms to have 2 queen beds now instead of doubles, I'd look into two rooms there. Connecting isn't guaranteed, but if you're willing to risk splitting up I'd do that. I enjoyed Pop a lot!
Are they currently renovating though? Hmm. We wouldn't mind the risk because we've never had trouble before, plus older kids now. :) thanks!

Hi everyone,
We'll be heading to Disney, in mid-January 2018. We have five children (13, 11, 8, 6, & 4). They are flexible, and used to traveling in close quarters. We won't need a large space. I do understand we're too large for a suite.
We've been a few times.
We'd like to be as budget-friendly as possible on this trip, so saving money would be priority. We also think we really prefer to stay on-site. I've never done anything else and am just not sure I would want to go that route! ;) Open to ideas though.
Let me know what ideas everyone has on your absolute favorite budget hotel idea, including specific locations of hotel if applicable. I'd say we'd like quiet and peaceful setting, but still close to the bus!
Thanks for any tips.

For maximum comfort and affordability, you could rent a house offsite or stay in a 3 or 4 bedroom timeshare, for example Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
Two values would be the cheapest hotel option onsite.
You could camp at Fort Wilderness in tents -- the cheapest onsite way to stay.
You could rent camper and stay at Fort Wilderness. There are services that will drop them off for you and pick them up.

I heard ft wilderness has cabins you can rent, (never done it tho)but I'm not sure if a family of 7 would max out that occupancy. Maybe someone else has that answer.

I heard ft wilderness has cabins you can rent, (never done it tho)but I'm not sure if a family of 7 would max out that occupancy. Maybe someone else has that answer.

The Ft. Wilderness Cabins have a max occupancy of 6 + 1 under the age of 3. So the OP's group will not be allowed to book one.

AoA won't work unless you bring an air bed or a cot. It only has sleeping space for 6 people. We are a family of 7 when we all travel together. Usually it's just 4 of us, but we also travel to Disney as a party of 7. When we do this, we stay in two rooms at Pop Century (we have 3 adults in our party and 4 kids; the oldest 'kid' is almost an adult). We love Pop Century. I would really recommend it! We stay there as a family of 4 as well as a family of 7. We usually are given connecting rooms when we stay in two rooms but on occasion have been in nearby rooms, which works for us. We don't 'need' connecting rooms. They're nice but not necessary.

I think it would be possible to avoid most of the construction at Pop if you stay in the right location. If you request a room in the 90's or 80's, you would most likely be far enough away from the construction that it wouldn't have much impact on you at all, especially if you are in the parks during the day. Most of the construction then will be at the back, especially the gondola construction at the lake. I'm not sure where they will be with room renovations by January, but it should be far enough from the 80's and 90's.

Wow, I'm always amazed at large families doing these disneyvacation trips. What fun times ahead!!
Would you consider renting points for DVC... it seems they are less costly unless you get some really good deal at a value??
Wherever you end up ...have a wonderful visit!

AoA won't work unless you bring an air bed or a cot. It only has sleeping space for 6 people. We are a family of 7 when we all travel together. Usually it's just 4 of us, but we also travel to Disney as a party of 7. When we do this, we stay in two rooms at Pop Century (we have 3 adults in our party and 4 kids; the oldest 'kid' is almost an adult). We love Pop Century. I would really recommend it! We stay there as a family of 4 as well as a family of 7. We usually are given connecting rooms when we stay in two rooms but on occasion have been in nearby rooms, which works for us. We don't 'need' connecting rooms. They're nice but not necessary.

I think it would be possible to avoid most of the construction at Pop if you stay in the right location. If you request a room in the 90's or 80's, you would most likely be far enough away from the construction that it wouldn't have much impact on you at all, especially if you are in the parks during the day. Most of the construction then will be at the back, especially the gondola construction at the lake. I'm not sure where they will be with room renovations by January, but it should be far enough from the 80's and 90's.
Thank you so much for this help!! :)

Wow, I'm always amazed at large families doing these disneyvacation trips. What fun times ahead!!
Would you consider renting points for DVC... it seems they are less costly unless you get some really good deal at a value??
Wherever you end up ...have a wonderful visit!
Thank you so much!! We are very blessed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter